NecessaryEvil: Should I use the SPC?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NecessaryEvil: Should I use the SPC?

So, if I were running a Necessary Evil game (original, not Breakout), would it throw the balance off to use the 2nd edition Super Power Companion rules for Character creation or should I go with the original system?

Yes. The original system feels incomplete and is overall fairly unbalanced around attributes, as well as most non-super strength characters feeling very weak over the course of the game. That said, if you do use the SPC2, the original enemies were designed with that system in mind. To make sure your drones and fins remain a very deadly threat, use the Aliens Update supplement, free from Pinnacle. They also have a document that updates the available races for the setting here.

I made a much longer post about running Necessary Evil over on reddit about a month ago, and I have some documents that I've thrown together that help to polish some of the gear not addressed and villains that weren't updated in the Aliens Update (like, say, Doctor Destruction) if you're interested in that (PM me if you'd like access).
    Last edited by DoctorBoson; 05-05-2018, 05:44 PM.
    My thoughts, musings, and general character adaptations on Savage Everything. Now featuring Suppressive Fire that actually works!

Comment

Yeah, that would be awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by Nyarlathotep5150 View Post
        So, if I were running a Necessary Evil game (original, not Breakout), would it throw the balance off to use the 2nd edition Super Power Companion rules for Character creation or should I go with the original system?
        It both is and isn't balanced. The game is balanced enough that your players will still be able to generally handle any threat put in front of them. Sadly, there's nothing you can do about the swinginess of the dice. Big numbers are going to happen, and the odds of soaking them are unlikely at best. However, with respect to one another, there's a good chance they won't be balanced at all. I ran a comparison several years ago on the differences between the original game and the revised Supers rules. The only archetype found in the core NE book which even came close to spending their total allotment of power points was the Brick. Everyone else had only spent about 70% or less (the Sorcerer was at a comfy 40%).

There's enough material that, if you want to, you can run the original campaign with the revised rules and you won't really miss out. Big NPCs like Doctor Destruction and Champion were over-powered before, so don't feel bad modifying them now to remain so. But if budget is an issue, your group won't suffer under the older rules.

Comment

• DoctorBoson
          DoctorBoson commented
          Editing a comment
          I'd argue that Destruction and Champion were overpowered by design; running a game where Champion has his listed stats feels like it would shortchange the gravity of his death. The world's greatest superhero and bastion against the alien invaders being less durable than an average city bus just feels a little underwhelming. Same goes for Destruction; they could both use some tuning up to make them a terrifying prospective opponent for even a Legendary two-bit Four Color villain (like Killer Croc trying to take on Superman, or Doc Ock taking on Captain Marvel)

• Jounichi
          Jounichi commented
          Editing a comment
          Of course they were overpowered by design. But back then we also didn't have clear "tiers" like we do now. Champion could easily be a Cosmic character before the V'sori get their hooks into him. And Doctor Destruction should be at least a Heavy Hitter on his own. Throw in a whole ton of Edges to flesh them out and now we're talking.

• DoctorBoson
          DoctorBoson commented
          Editing a comment
          Oh! I misread "Doctor Destruction and Champion were over-powered before, so don't feel bad modifying them now to remain so" as "Doctor Destruction and Champion were over-powered before, so don't feel like modifying them now to remain so." Guess I agree with you then, haha. In my documents I built up Champion as a Cosmic hero, and Destruction as a Heavy Hitter, with an additional 25 PP for the gear he acquired after the invasion to make him Cosmic as well.
          Last edited by DoctorBoson; 04-24-2018, 11:00 PM.

What would the appropriate power level be for a Necessary Evil campaign?

Comment

Originally posted by Erich View Post
          The original campaign was intended four color villains were also rising stars. But you can them start with all their power points and it won't upset anything.

Comment

• ValhallaGH
            ValhallaGH commented
            Editing a comment
            That's not accurate. The campaign was intended for the system as it existed at the time. Which kind of resembles Four Color, Rising Stars, but was just Standard at the time.

• Jounichi
            Jounichi commented
            Editing a comment
            That's pedantic and you know it. The entire point of this thread is how to run NE using the SPC. I simply gave an answer that contextually matched the SPC (both editions) and jived with the original intent of the campaign. This did not warrant a comment.

Four Color. Clint suggestion.
          I hope you find the above post useful. And not insulting, because I was trying to be helpful, not insulting; being a pedantic jerk, that isn't always clear.

Comment

On another note.
            Has anyone converted the villains in NE to the SPC?

Comment

• DoctorBoson
              DoctorBoson commented
              Editing a comment
              As I stated earlier in the thread, and in the threads I linked to in my post here, I do have a document for converting as much material from NE to the SPC2 as I can without risking moving into copyright-infringing territory. I can PM you access to the document if you're planning on running a game.

• Erich
              Erich commented
              Editing a comment
              I would be very interested in such a document.
              My players want a Supers campaign and I think this will work juuuustt fine.

On another note.
            Has anyone converted the villains in NE to the SPC?
            Which villains?
            If you mean the Fins and other aliens then yes. There's an official update that covers it. DoctorBoson linked it in the first reply.

If you mean the example villains then probably, but I don't have any links to post.
            I hope you find the above post useful. And not insulting, because I was trying to be helpful, not insulting; being a pedantic jerk, that isn't always clear.

Comment

• DoctorBoson
              DoctorBoson commented
              Editing a comment
              I've gotten a lot of them hammered out in a WIP document. Certainly nailed the bigger ones like Destruction.
          Working...
          X