Rippers Reason question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rippers Reason question

I think I've been doing Fear checks wrong in Rippers.
    Do characters add their Reason score as a bonus to their roll? (Modified by the Fright level and any monster's fear modifier.)

Example, Vicar Brown encounters a Horned God while investigating a cult. He has a Spirit of d12 and a Reason of 8. The Fear penalty of the campaign is currently at -3. The Horned God has an additional fear penalty of -2. Is his Spirit roll at a -5, or a +3, or other?

Taking this one step farther, his companion Oliver the Monster Hunter, who also has Spirit of d12 is also there. Because Oliver has 4 Rippertech implants, his Reason is only a 4. Is his Spirit Roll at -1, or also at -5? Or other?

Thanks in advance!​

Originally posted by xarchiangku View Post
    Do characters add their Reason score as a bonus to their roll?
    No, they do not.
    First, because it would make Fear trivial - adding (2 + half Spirit) is a minimum +4 on Spirit rolls trying to reach TN 4.
    Second, because nothing in the rules state or imply that Reason is a bonus on Fear checks.

Example, ... Is his Spirit roll at a -5, or a +3, or other?
    -5, before Brave or similar abilities. For both Brown and Oliver.

Thanks in advance!​
    You are welcome.
    I hope you find the above post useful. And not insulting, because I was trying to be helpful, not insulting; being a pedantic jerk, that isn't always clear.

Comment

Originally posted by ValhallaGH View Post
      No, they do not.
      First, because it would make Fear trivial - adding (2 + half Spirit) is a minimum +4 on Spirit rolls trying to reach TN 4.
      Second, because nothing in the rules state or imply that Reason is a bonus on Fear checks.
      It sure did make it trivial in play, which felt totally against theme! I don't know why I thought that, except I probably read the footnote of the fright table, "A character with rippertech makes a Spirit roll at –2, with a bonus equal to their current Reason" and interpreted it to apply to the fear roll.

Comment

• ValhallaGH
        ValhallaGH commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah, I can see how that sentence could worm into a brain and cause confusion. Glad I could help clear it up.
        Good luck!
    Working...
    X