Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[ETU] What skills do majors like Economics, Communication, and Music map to ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [ETU] What skills do majors like Economics, Communication, and Music map to ?

One player is majoring in Kinesiology. I think that maps pretty clearly to Science.
    But what about Economics and Business ? ________
    Mathematics ? Is that Science ? It isn't "Sciency" enough in my opinion.
    Music ? (And Art) - maybe Performance ?
    Communication ? ________
    History ? ________
    Accounting ? ________

What have others done to convert/adapt the pre-SWADE ETU "Knowledge (________)" Skills ?

I've pondered this long and hard and don't have a good answer. The mapping is so incomplete/difficult I may scrap it and go back to "Knowledge (________)".

Your first step to answering these should be defining what the existing knowledge skills are.
    Academics (liberal arts, social sciences, history, literature, archaeology, etc.)
    Common Knowledge (etiquette, geography, culture, popular culture, basic technology, customs, etc.)
    Language (___) (knowledge of a language, idioms, customs, etc.)
    Occult (magic, magical creatures, magical traditions, rituals, etc.) - not relevant to the majors but common for adventurous Ravens.
    Science (biology, chemistry, engineering, geology, math, physics, etc.)

Then the "practical" knowledge skills. They let you do an active thing and represent associated knowledge of the field. Battle, Electronics, Healing, Performance, Repair, Research, and Survival all fall into this category - they mostly do stuff but they also take knowledge that lets a character know stuff.

Most ETU majors easily slip into one of the four knowledge skills.
    Economics, Business, and Communication are generally seen as "liberal arts" or "social sciences" which means the Academics skill. They benefit from having some practical knowledge like Research and Persuasion, but the degree programs are mostly going to be focused on Academics.
    History is explicitly an Academics skill.
    Music or Art majors can get away with large Common Knowledge skills but serious students would have Academics (shaping their knowledge of history and economics through their knowledge of arts, artists, and artistic patrons). Art students that actually create works would rely upon either Common Knowledge or Repair depending upon the technical complexity (painting versus welded sculpture). Music students that perform would need Performance to excel at the practical side of the field.
    Math is one of those inflexibly "hard" disciplines that is the foundation for all the Sciences.
    Accounting is a mix of hard math and esoteric legalism. It's the only example I have trouble classifying, but I'd probably go with Academics.
    Last edited by ValhallaGH; 04-06-2020, 06:44 PM.
    I hope you find the above post useful. And not insulting, because I was trying to be helpful, not insulting; being a pedantic jerk, that isn't always clear.

Comment

• Deskepticon
      Deskepticon commented
      Editing a comment
      Great suggestions!
      Though I would slot Artists (painting, scultping, etc.) into Performance. This would allow a good artist to successfully sell their artwork, either through commision or by displaying it in a coffee shop or other venue.

Excellent recommendations. The meat of your response was that many of the disciplines will fall under Academics. That works for me ! I just want to be consistent across all my players.

It occurs to me that any major I can think of that gives you a B.S. is likely Science (I double majored in Comp Sci and Math BTW). Most B.A. majors end up in Academics. A few outliers exist (like Computer Science, which goes to the Hacking skill, not Science, I think I read).

Comment

• ValhallaGH
      ValhallaGH commented
      Editing a comment
      The "meat" was to look at the existing knowledge skills and see if the major in question slots into them.
      When I did that I concluded that most slotted into Academics.
      The B.A. / B.S. division is a handy rule of thumb.

Hacking is for creating programs and entering secure systems. It's the skill to make software do things it isn't supposed to do. So most Comp Sci folks are going to have some or a lot of Hacking, while being weak on the other sciences.

In my game, I have PCs with majors in Chemistry (Science), Ag Sci (Science), Mechanical Engineering (Repair), Psychology (Academics), and Fine Arts (Academics). I do like the idea of Performance for Art majors, though. I might retcon that, if the player is willing.

Comment

• Deskepticon
      Deskepticon commented
      Editing a comment
      I think it would depend on the nature of their Art major. If they are only studying the history of art, go with Academics; if they are creating art, then use Performance.

I'm sure there are a number of gallery curators that can tell you a great deal about a particular painting and the circumstances of the artist's life during the time it was created, but they aren't artists themselves.

• ValhallaGH
      ValhallaGH commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, what Deskepticon said. Though I will note that virtually every art academic / curator has tried to be an artist.

Just to confirm, studying to be a lawyer would be Academics, correct? I don't have an ETU game in my foreseeable future, but if I ever do get into one I've already got an optimized lawyer build figured out.
    Last edited by gigacanuck; 04-11-2020, 03:14 PM.

Comment

• ValhallaGH
      ValhallaGH commented
      Editing a comment
      Law students have a bad *** Research skill for all the references and precedents.
      Lawyers should have a strong Academics to handle the knowledge.
      For the rare cases that go to trial, you'd want a strong Persuasion skill. But that's rare for actual lawyers - most of what they do is paperwork.

• paladin2019
      paladin2019 commented
      Editing a comment
      "For the rare cases that go to trial,"

But what else would we care about in SW? You can't handle the truth!!!

• ValhallaGH
      ValhallaGH commented
      Editing a comment
      paladin2019 We care about the gunfights. Where the evil corporation sends goons to kill the lawyer who's paperwork is hurting them or about to expose their secrets. Or the abusive spouse doesn't accept a well-filed motion and tries to kill the lawyer and / or the spouse.

It's just occurred to me that the mechanic of Exams in ETU is very different from any "applied" use of the selected major, such as actually working in the field.

A law student is going to need an above average Persuasion skill if they wish to be a convincing lawyer, but unless part of the Exam is a mock trial, the only pertinent skill when rolling for Exams would be Academics. This is true for virtually any of the majors. A student of mechanical engineering is probably not going to be asked to build a machine as their Exam; instead, they are more likely to be tested on their knowledge of physics formulae (i.e., how much hydraulic pressure is needed to move a one-inch cylinder with a force of 270 Newtons, etc., etc.).

I wondering, in the interest of keeping things simple, if Exams would be a roll of either Academics or Science, whichever best fits the theme of the major. Maybe even the lowest of Research or Academics/Science, just to illustrate the importance of study? Players can then "flesh out" their concept by taking other appropriate skills as needed.

Thoughts? Critiques?

Comment

• OK5
      OK5 commented
      Editing a comment
      That's pretty much how I interpret that. If a major doesn't have a clear associated skill (Hacking for computers, Medicine for medicine... maybe Electronics for electric engineering) then use Science or Academics. Persuasion is not a "Law" skill, its a skill for convincing people, Performance hardly cover the academic demands of drama majors etc.

One thing's for sure … I'll be having exams early in the session, while the players still have all their Bennies !

The football player, I am concerned about … left Smarts at a d4 … studying Sports Medicine … will have a -2 to Scholastics, as stated in the conversion document … I'll recommend he re-jigger his skills to get a d6 in Science rather than leaving it at a d4, at a double cost to get it to that d6 (since it exceeds his smarts).

He can't pass his Freshman mid-terms (just needs a 4) without acing the d4 and following up with a 2, 3, or 4 (in other words, not a 1) … and it only gets harder from there. What's that, just under a 19% chance of passing ? Adding in the 1-in-6 chance of acing the wild die mitigates that, but minutely.

I may have to "hand wave" that the athletics program, like most Frats, keep a rich supply of practice exams on-hand, and offer tutors to get their jocks over the exam hump. Else academic probation and eventual dismissal may cut their careers short …

Comment

• ValhallaGH
      ValhallaGH commented
      Editing a comment
      Wild Card d4-2 has a 32.3% success rate. About 1 in 3 attempts. That's better than the 4.2% Critical Failure rate.
Working...
X