Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Evernight] Sa Karan spiders

Hello!

First time poster here! I'm getting ready to run Evernight (using SWADE) so i'm doing a bit of an update and change stuff up to make it more open ended.

I first got involved with Savage Worlds Deluxe so maybe I'm missing something, but I noticed the Sa Karan spiders don't have any damage in their stat block?
    Shouldn't this be like claws str+1 or something similar?

I googled like crazy for it but to no avail.

It's not a big thing really, I will just give them claws str+d4 (blue gets d6) but I was curious why they didn't have it in their stat block and if I'm missing something.

Welcome to the forum!

My recollection is that it was intentional.
    Spiders are Unarmed, despite their multiple arms. They don't have effective natural weapons despite their toothy maws and chitin covered limbs. They're disposable combat drones that the Sa Karan masters throw in waves at any problem. This makes them significantly easier to survive during those times the player characters are unarmed and unarmored.

You can change that. I'd suggest Claws: Str. to keep their damage output the same while making them slightly more dangerous.
    You might want to give blues the Brawler edge. That +1 Toughness and Str+d4 damage would make them obviously superior to regular spiders.

Good luck!
    I hope you find the above post useful. And not insulting, because I was trying to be helpful, not insulting; being a pedantic jerk, that isn't always clear.

Comment

I believe one of the stretch goals for the SWADE KS was to produce an updated version of Evernight. Does anyone know if that’s still being worked on?

Comment

• ValhallaGH
        ValhallaGH commented
        Editing a comment
        It was a stretch goal (140k). So it's still being worked on but we don't know the priority.

Stupid Panda,

I actually just finished GM a year plus campaign of Evernight, first time, lots of fun. Where we converted to SWAdE, basically everything was done on the fly,

I agree with Val, give the Blue Spiders a little more (I gave the +1d4 for Claws, but Brawler works well too), but they only turn up near the end anyway. I did not treat them as unarmed, nor their little brothers, but didn't give the basic spiders any damage bonus for their claws. The battle when they were imprisoned and the jailbreak happens was a lot of fun since the players had to think and not just attack with magic items. One of the players killed a Master with the chains they were imprisoned in, it was epic!

Remember that they have a jump ability to add +2 to damage (which I personally changed to +1d6, since Explorer's raises gave a static +2 to damage) if they move far enough (which works the first round or when someone drops).

They have improved frenzy which can make 2 attacks at once (since they don't get the wild die), or 4 at -2 each, which you are basically fishing for raises for the +1d6 damage.

Also they attack in large groups so Gang-Up stacks up fast. If the terrain would allow, I did since they could cling allow them to swarm above since they can move in 3D with the walkwalking. made the players act more tactical (back to back, use of terrain, hot-gates battle).

I will say the first time they confronted the party, they bunched up to much and our Paladin (err Red Knight) toasted (Burst) a huge number, my friend's son, he basically was a wrecking ball. Players can really gain from Counter Attack against the spiders as they aren't great hitters.

Comment

ValhallaGH and Crimson,

Thank you so much for your input!
        I thought claws made sense, but as you say, there are many of them and they all have 2 attacks - only strength damage is probably the road to go. As to treating them as unarmed, hmm, probably but not sure.

So i'll probably skip the claws and give the blues Brawler instead! Thank you so much for the answers and help!

Hearing about your own campaign makes me want to start right now! .

Comment

• Crimson
          Crimson commented
          Editing a comment
          Glad to help.
          The campaign is a bit railroad-y, so unless your players like that either mention it or be willing to go for quite a rid. Players don't always like losing, so assure them that if they get caught it is part of the ride and if they don't like it, cut it short or abbreviate it through quick encounters or a montage like overview of what they experience and need to know.
          also depending on players, if usual they wind up off the rails running to mizarador on a red herring, which was fun non the less, but very off script.

There are meant to be quick kill extras but try to get them to attack from concelment and have the drop. Also they should wildattack all the time.
        IE the are in hidding, they jump into attack with a wildattack. They might give one or more of the characters a bad moment, then they are down.
        I think originally they only did strength damage but they don't count as unarmed.

Comment

Originally posted by wmarshal View Post
          I believe one of the stretch goals for the SWADE KS was to produce an updated version of Evernight. Does anyone know if that’s still being worked on?
          Sadly, that was not a stretch goal. The stretch goal was a pdf of the original Evernight that you could then use an "upcoming conversion guide" to play it with SWADE rules.

Comment

Originally posted by screenmonkey View Post

Sadly, that was not a stretch goal. The stretch goal was a pdf of the original Evernight that you could then use an "upcoming conversion guide" to play it with SWADE rules.
            I think they are/were planning on something other than that. I thought one could always get the original Evernight pdf. And comments on the KS from two months ago indicate they’re planning on something more than just having us use the generic conversion guide. It may not be the whole setting getting completely done, but an Evernight specific conversion guide would still be welcome. From the comments:

david allan finch2 months ago
            Will we still see the Evernight update?

Shane HensleyCreatorSuperbacker2 months ago
            Hello David!

It's on the schedule but we have a lot of projects we're working on, friends! So, it may be a while .

- Christine Lapp, PEG Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by wmarshal View Post
              I think they are/were planning on something other than that. I thought one could always get the original Evernight pdf. And comments on the KS from two months ago indicate they’re planning on something more than just having us use the generic conversion guide. It may not be the whole setting getting completely done, but an Evernight specific conversion guide would still be welcome. From the comments:

david allan finch2 months ago
              Will we still see the Evernight update?
              Yep that was me asking. I think we are still hopfully waiting for the conversion guide for Evernight to SWADE.

Comment

Originally posted by ironfort View Post

Yep that was me asking. I think we are still hopfully waiting for the conversion guide for Evernight to SWADE.
                I don't want to wait so im going forward as it is :P.

One thing I was thinking about was the new reloading rules, and it feels that the old works much better for muskets and the like, for Evernight anyway. Also makes the musket edge usable still.
                What do you think?

Also, do you think the double shot edge is still viable in SWADE or is it not good enough now that we have more actions to use?

Comment

Seems like some people are re-trapping Rapid Fire for bows but only 2 arrows, but I would not do these for Black Powder weapons. The Fantasy Companion's Double Shot could work too, but remember with the Action economy, you can repeat the same action in a round (so less necessary).

With the new action economy, you can reload in a turn (3 actions for black powder) and fire in the next turn at no penalty, so I am not sure if Musketeer is needed. You can make an edge which would remove 2 action from reload actions. I re-trapped as Rapid Reload, which allowed for Heavy Crossbows to be used in a round without penalty, or black powder with a -2 (since they are load of 3, so they need to reload then shoot). I think that is balanced, since it is 2 free actions but they are specific type actions, where Two-Fisted is 2 actions for free (yes -2 for the offhand without Ambidextrous) to most any action.

Particularly with pistols, my player had a few (he had 4 pistols at one point) pre-loaded (usually 1 for overcharge) and would draw them, shoot and re-holster (remember the new Readying rules allow 2 "handle" of easily accessible items free each turn). Think pirate movie action, in a round or two he switch to melee, or hid and reloaded.

Comment

Working...
                  X