Flash Gordon SWAdE player questionaire / gm tips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flash Gordon SWAdE player questionaire / gm tips

i am a new gm of savage worlds with not much player experience. I currently GM Modiphius' Conan in an Age Undreamed Of 2d20 system. I have played and ran Iron Kingdoms rpg, Hollow Earth rpg (Ubiquity system), Green Ronin's Fantasy Age rpg, among others. Savage Worlds experience-wise I have only played in Achtung! cthulu and Savage Rifts.

I have a Flash Gordon in Coralia underwater oneshot adventure battling Radiuma ocean pollution written that i have scheduled on roll20 in a couple weeks, and am as shaken as someone entangled by an octoclaw. I'm hoping running this oneshot will help me determine if all of the meta of SW is for me, or not.

I heard on a little podcast called Savage Interludes (or was it Savage Spheres, "SSS" for short) something about questionnaires, and wanted to ask for some help from the community in coming up with some questions for it; and if not actual questions, tips for creating them. In all honesty, a co-gm / good rules-lawyer would be helpful too.

Thanks, kindly,

Randall

edit: I do have a metagame rewards survey that i am asking players to fill out, which i thought would be important since meta is important to Savage Worlds. To be more clear, I'm more looking for adventure-specific questions and question guidelines.
    Last edited by rschweik; 01-04-2020, 10:48 PM.

Unless this is something Flash Gordon specific, I don't know anything about questionnaires or surveys for Savage Worlds. In fact, Savage Worlds is really made to be quick to jump into without the need for a complicated backstory or anything to start with. The Interludes discourages you to start out with too much background detail arranged ahead of time, because those kind of details are better to come up with during spontaneous moments while playing.

Comment

Originally posted by rschweik View Post
      I heard on a little podcast called Savage Interludes (or was it Savage Spheres, "SSS" for short) something about questionnaires, and wanted to ask for some help from the community in coming up with some questions for it; and if not actual questions, tips for creating them. In all honesty, a co-gm / good rules-lawyer would be helpful too.

Thanks, kindly,

Randall

edit: I do have a metagame rewards survey that i am asking players to fill out, which i thought would be important since meta is important to Savage Worlds. To be more clear, I'm more looking for adventure-specific questions and question guidelines.
      I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "meta" being important to Savage Worlds. Can you elaborate on that please?

As for Interludes, the intent is not to ask the players questions, but to have them create little backstory moments for their character based on the outcome of the card-draw. As a GM you can perhaps encourage a player who stammers, or gets stuck, by offering suggestions, but the majority of the onus is on the player when it comes to Interludes.

Hope this helps, and Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Deskepticon View Post

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "meta" being important to Savage Worlds. Can you elaborate on that please?

As for Interludes, the intent is not to ask the players questions, but to have them create little backstory moments for their character based on the outcome of the card-draw. As a GM you can perhaps encourage a player who stammers, or gets stuck, by offering suggestions, but the majority of the onus is on the player when it comes to Interludes.
        Swade has metagaming rules such as action cards and bennies, other than making a die roll and continuing, that can make it seem players are playing minigames during swade games. I gm Conan 2d20 which has momentum/doom pool and fortune point metagaming mechanics doing stuff similar to swade.

I missed the "card-draw" mention on podcast.
        Last edited by rschweik; 01-08-2020, 07:31 PM.

Comment

rschweik Ah, okay. I'm not sure I would refer to that as "meta-gaming" though. I'd just call those "mechanics."
          To me meta-gaming always meant the player is using their own inside knowledge of the game or setting to influence their character's actions.
          ____

As for Interludes...
          A GM can liven up certain narrative moments (like long travels, sitting around a pub or campfire, etc) with Interludes. Any player that wants to participate draws a card from the deck and tells a story based on the suit of the card (more details are given in the core book). After the player tells the story, they earn a Benny.

You could change things up by preparing questions for the player, replacing the card-draw. Really, the goal is keep players engaged in the game as well as invested in their characters. It's easy to play the big, dumb fighter, but if he's only dumb because of a grievous head injury (rather than a result of pumping all his build points into Strength and Vigor ), then you're now turning a trope into a living, breathing character. On the next Interlude you can flesh out his motivations. If a questionnaire replaces the card draw, but the basic intent of Interludes remains the same, then there is absolutely no problem with that.

Comment

Working...
          X