Dirty Fighter Edge versions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dirty Fighter Edge versions

There are two SWADE versions of this Edge in "print". The Savage Rifts version is a +2 to Tests, the Lankhmar conversion is a free re-roll with certain Skills in Tests. I'm inclined to go with the free re-rolls, as they're less of an "I WIN!!" button.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by paladin2019; 11-16-2019, 11:57 AM.

Dirty Fighter is a Setting Edge. It only exists in some settings.
    If a setting has a version of Dirty Fighter then campaigns in that setting should use that version, unless it relies upon rules that no longer exist.

If you're wanting to create a Dirty Fighter Edge for all of your campaigns, that's a different question.
    Of the two versions, I'd go with the Rifts version, since that has some actual play testing.
    A fighter with this Edge gets a +2 when making Tests against a foe if his next action is a Fighting attack against that same target.
    The action restriction is meaningful, and since most folks will take that as a Multi-Action the +2 really just negates the MAP, leaving a standard Opposed Roll.
    By contrast the Lankhmar version only applies to four skills.

If I was making it from whole cloth, I'd probably: Get a free Reroll when making Tests as long as the next action is a Fighting attack against the same target.
    I hope you find the above post useful. And not insulting, because I was trying to be helpful, not insulting; being a pedantic jerk, that isn't always clear.

Comment

However, about the flat +2 to the roll, or the Re-roll: they have more or less the same weight at the table (I did some simple math about it, in the common ranges). So, when I can, I avoid the re-rolls. They slow down the game, and in my humble opinion SW should be kept a Fast system, so a re-rolling mechanic is just a way to bog the things down with almost no cool upside.
      "Balance is the key, Trapping is the word." - - Lord Lance

Proud reviser of the SAVAGE FREE BESTIARY

Comment

Originally posted by ValhallaGH View Post
        If a setting has a version of Dirty Fighter then campaigns in that setting should use that version, unless it relies upon rules that no longer exist.
        See, that's bad game design. If there are multiple versions of the same named game component (for the same edition, natch) floating around, that's bad because it confuses the issue. And then you have me asking about which mechanic seems to work better. Given as both are still officially in beta, it's not a big deal. But when Savage Rifts gets published, the Lankhmar .pdf should be reflect the same mechanics.

Also, your suggestion, free re-roll/any Skill, is what I was leaning toward to begin with.

Lord Lance As for Fast =/= re-roll, I prefer Fun = 2nd chances.

EDIT: I got to comparing the re-roll to other Edges. Killer Instinct also allows a re-roll on any Test, regardless of Skill used. Like Dirty Fighter, its only Requirement is Seasoned, and the flavor text between them is very similar. So I think I'm changing to Savage Rifts' +2 version for a greater difference between the two rather than Dirty Fighter is limited Killer Instinct that also unlocks Tricky Fighter or Really Dirty Fighter.
        Last edited by paladin2019; 11-17-2019, 03:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by paladin2019 View Post
          See, that's bad game design.
          What is, having four settings published by three companies that all have an Edge with the same name?
          If it was a core edge, I'd agree with you. If all the versions were published by the same company, I'd agree with you.
          As it stands, this is one of those areas where we're going to disagree. Having multiple settings use a Dirty Fighter setting edge isn't bad design. Having different mechanics for each of those also isn't inherently bad design.

If you mean it's bad game design to create an Edge that relies upon rules that ceased to exist in a new core rules Edition then I'm going to disagree with you. Expecting game designers to be accurate prophets is too high a standard.
          I hope you find the above post useful. And not insulting, because I was trying to be helpful, not insulting; being a pedantic jerk, that isn't always clear.

Comment

All versions of Dirty Fighter I'm talking about are published by Pinnacle.

That said, what is your opinion of going with +2 to Tests to differentiate from Killer Instinct? (the Savage Rifts version)
            Last edited by paladin2019; 11-17-2019, 06:19 PM.

Comment

• ValhallaGH
              ValhallaGH commented
              Editing a comment
              Should be fine.

Setting rules including Edges, are not designed to be mix and match across settings. Nothing wrong with two Edges with the same name that behave differently since each is designed to only be used within its own setting. Any confusion resulting is from assuming that there should be a single definitive rule or that the same name should not be used for an Edge that already exists in another setting.

Comment

Working...
            X