Backlash for SPC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Backlash for SPC

Recently I semi-binged through a series called My Hero Academia. If you remember the movie Sky High, it's kind of like that after you pass it through a Shonen Jump filter. Anyway, there are several characters in the series who, when they overextend the use of their powers, suffer a debilitating effect (like vomiting or stomach cramps) which could be reflected with Shaken. This in turn gave me the idea of creating a Hindrance based off of the Backlash effect from the Magic AB. The problem is that only a small fraction of the SPC powers involve skill use. Anyway, skill rolls really wouldn't fit the concept. So how to design a universally applicable Hindrance while keeping it FFF. Thoughts?
    Last edited by Sitting Duck; 10-08-2017, 01:04 PM.
    You're rational, sir. It's only us crazy people who get to swap out realities on a whim.

Given that it only happened when they overextended their powers, I'd suspect that the Power Stunts setting rule, using a level of Fatigue instead of a benny or just using fatigue as a Trapping for why it can only be done for a short period, would be a better fit.
    Alternatively, it may be a trapping for "out of Power Points" using the Core Rules super powers. Eastern media tends to assume a limited battery for any special ability - no matter how ridiculous the ability may be, everyone runs out of juice.

If putting a trapping onto an existing setting rule isn't satisfying enough (and there are some folks that will be the case for) then there are a few possibilities.
    First, a Limitation on an existing power - if the appropriate Trait die is a 1 then be Shaken; if the power doesn't use a Trait roll then roll Vigor or Spirit (chosen when taking the Limitation) or be Shaken after using the power. This is great for a limited number of powers that have this problem, and is probably a Minor limitation.
    Second, a Hindrance for something a character has to worry about for all of her powers. Probably a Minor hindrance if it works like AB (Magic). If it can affect powers that don't normally roll then that's probably a Major hindrance, especially if it works more like Brainburn from AB (Psionics).
    Third, is a different approach. I know there is one, but I can't think of it at the moment.
    I hope you find the above post useful. And not insulting, because I was trying to be helpful, not insulting; being a pedantic jerk, that isn't always clear.

Comment

This morning, I had an epiphany regarding this topic. A possible interpretation of overextending yourself is getting a high initiative draw. As a minor Hindrance, if you use a power when you draw a club face card, you immediately become Shaken at the end of the action as you start hurling, bending over in pain, or whatever. Two possibilities for a major version come to mind. One simply has the effect occur when drawing a black face card. The other is that the character has difficulty recovering from the effect and is -2 on Spirit rolls to remove a Shaken condition caused by the Hindrance. One potential issue is how it would interact with (Improved) Level Headed. There may be others which I might have overlooked. What do you think, sirs?
      Last edited by Sitting Duck; 02-09-2018, 08:20 PM.
      You're rational, sir. It's only us crazy people who get to swap out realities on a whim.

Comment

• ValhallaGH
        ValhallaGH commented
        Editing a comment
        Are you proposing punishing a character for getting a good initiative?

As a hindrance, meaning the player has to decide to take this, I can see it as an option. I just question how often it would be taken as it could be really limiting.

Also, if a person has Quick, or Level Headed (or both), it becomes much more than a Minor because the chances of getting that club becomes much higher. And forget taking the Major if you have, or plan on having, those Edges.

I really think Valhalla's thoughts would be much more balanced and see a lot more use.
      I have way too much time but do not always edit myself properly. Please do not take offense.

Comment

Working...
      X