[RR] World Travel and Social Obligations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [RR] World Travel and Social Obligations

At various points in the Players’ Guide and Gamemaster’s Handbook, it is mentioned that obligations in Victorian society have to be fulfilled once a month, or people begin to talk. But in the Plot Point Campaign, and probably over the course of other adventures too, the PCs have to travel to various countries. Travel in the 19th century being what it is, I can expect that to take over a month or two in some cases. Is there anything my players can do about that, or is this just a sacrifice a Ripper has to make to fight evil?

Ideas:
    A socialite can just attend a party/function wherever. As long as she is seen, and known to be traveling, that’s acceptable.

Patrons and financial backers may accept letters, depending on the relationship they have with the Rippers.

Welcome to the forum!

As you note, lengthy travel times were a known and largely unavoidable issue of the times. As such, most social circles made allowances for anyone traveling for "acceptable" reasons.
    Such reasons include: military service, research expeditions, resource exploitation, and visiting relatives.

Without such a reason, it's likely that the character would be besmirched by society. Letters would mitigate the issue, and letters combined with a "valid" reason should suffice, but Victorian social standings were rather volatile, and prone to rapid overturns.
    I hope you find the above post useful. And not insulting, because I was trying to be helpful, not insulting; being a pedantic jerk, that isn't always clear.

Comment

Working...
    X