Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rippertech Question

Greetings,

I am curious about the Rippers setting and how Rippertech operates more specifically.

So I understand the capture/subdue creature bit
    ... and the get them to the lab and make that Knowledge (Rippertech) roll

Voila! You have some Rippertech ready to install in someone.

Then your party member comes along wanting that Demon Hide that you just obtained.

So once again there is a Knowledge (Rippertech) roll and if all goes well, your party member has a new second layer of armour and their reason has been reduced appropriately.

Is this it? There is no advance requirement? It would be treated "technically" as a magical item in a Fantasy Setting?

Thanks in advance,
    D
    Designer, Developer, Educator.

Nope, no advance requirement.
    'But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked. 'Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: 'we're all mad here.'

The Order of the Dice... OF DOOM!

Comment

Thank you.

I have a player that has Muscle Weaving x2, (Spirit die is 10, Down To Earth), Reason at 4 (at this stage)

Because of the high Spirit, he does not run the risk of having his Reason dropping due to Fright and thus having a Reason at 4 is not a large risk for him.

My concern is that he may become "indestructible" in the future. Normally I would not have an issue if the pay off did not improve another Attribute - a balance of sorts - however Muscle Weaving grants a Strength die increase with each implant. So from a d6 starting value he has effectively increased 2 Attributes "for the price of one".

Will just have to make it harder for them to locate the correct monsters in the future too easily.

D

Comment

• dentris
        dentris commented
        Editing a comment
        Your game, your rules. But I wouldn't. First, I disagree about the risk of losing Reason being limited. Fear rolls should be legion in a Rippers game and failure in Savage Worlds is always possible. But even if you are right, Rippertech is part of the setting and part of the fun. You should also cosnider how dangerous that character's build is. At d10 Strength and with an armor bonus, he is certainly a melee fighter, and while he might be far superior than normal humans, they are not the real threat anyway.

Let him be overconfident in his abilities, then throw a bunch of devil clowns against him, or a small retinue of Hydes, or something even worse. At d10 Strength with Ripper Claws, he still only has an average damage 11, which is good and will often Incapacitate extras, but will not even Shake the bigger guys. And if he Wild Attack, he might discover how deadly extras can be in groups, with gang-up bonuses.

Don't limit a character build, but tailor encounters based around them, so everyone can have fun.

A small caveat: he is stealing the spotlight from everyone? If so, talk to the player instead of sabotaging his concept.

dentris
      I have thought about all of the things you have mentioned previously.

And yes I could engineer encounters to show him that he is not death incarnate - in fact an attack on a train with ranged weapons, using cover to keep him at bay for a lot of the combat worked well - however I do not want to fall into the "lazy DM" trap of just recycling the known weakness.

Everyone is having fun in general except for one player who made some initial build errors and now is regretting them ... of course he has the option of rejigging the character after the long intermission they are currently in for travel.

My comment about limiting access is just really a pacing thing. He will get what he wants but maybe not as fast he initially would have - that is my idea. Just to let the others catch up a bit.

D

Comment

• dentris
        dentris commented
        Editing a comment
        Like I said, your the GM and your the best judge of what works. And you are right you shouldn't always have opposition that are perfectly tailored to work against his strength.

I was mainly trying to say Savage Worlds is pretty good a balancing itself. Even a legendary character can fall prey to a single zombie, and no amount of powergaming can create an indestructible, all-around character. You can carve a niche where you are extremely good, but you will always lag behind on something else. And leaving time for the others to catch up a bit is a good idea. If the camapaign was very monster heavy (thus good for rippertech), changing the focus will probably do the trick.

• fly.ing.fox
        fly.ing.fox commented
        Editing a comment
        It was the first time we played Rippers and I ran a 13 episode season 1 so we were all feeling it out and going nuts on various things - try this and that.

So perhaps I am getting worried about nothing at this stage.There have been good roleplaying bones laid down with all the characters, so as you say the balance may be there without me fiddling too much.

Thanks again.
        D

On a side note - can I like a comment? I would like to give you a thumbs up.
    Working...
    X