[ETU] Bane Mechanics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [ETU] Bane Mechanics

The way Bane is written in ETU, a creature affected by a bane makes an opposed Spirit roll against the bearer of the bane in order to make an attack (e.g. vampire tries to attack a PC bearing a crucifix). There doesn't appear to be any requirement for the bearer to take an Action to prepare the bane, and this seems a bit over-powered. I'm considering requiring the bearer to take an Action to prepare, and thus take a multi-action penalty if they want to also attack, for example. On the other hand, as-is, it contributes to PC college students' survivability when confronted with brujas or swarms of imps (a good thing, probably). Anyone have experience playing this way or thoughts on the matter?

I think it's situational. Most of the Banes simply need to be "displayed" (such as Holy Items for demons). If the character is wearing a large crucifix over their shirt, where the demon can easily see it, that counts. But if it's in their pocket, then yeah!, they need to make an Action to retrieve it.

Note that Banes can also be used to deal damage as an attack, and declaring an attack is always an action.

Comment

I think requiring it to be prepared once (like drawing a weapon) is fine. I don't think it would need to be prepared each round.

Comment

I think it should be an action to use it.

Comment

And I'm in the "it's situational" camp. Using a silver dagger shouldn't require an extra action (beyond the attack action) just because it's a creature's bane. I'm on the fence about the crucifix and it might be best left as Dean's choice. In your game if it's wielded as an expression of faith and it's really the faith that wards off the vampire then I'd say the student should make a Spirit roll to stay focused and the effect ends if he fails a Fear roll at any point. However, in your game if the object works independently of the wielder (for instance the wielder can be an athiest) then the wielder's actions are irrelevant other than making it visible. Just sort of brainstorming here...
          Author of:
          East Texas University
          Degrees of Horror
          and more...

Comment

Originally posted by PEGPreston View Post
            In your game if it's wielded as an expression of faith and it's really the faith that wards off the vampire then I'd say the student should make a Spirit roll to stay focused and the effect ends if he fails a Fear roll at any point. However, in your game if the object works independently of the wielder (for instance the wielder can be an athiest) then the wielder's actions are irrelevant other than making it visible. Just sort of brainstorming here...
            Since by RAW it is defined as an opposed Spirit roll between the creature and bane wielder, doesn't that imply the bane's power at least partly derives from the faith (or least strength of will) of the wielder?

I would play it pretty much as Deskepticon described. But note that a creature only needs to make that opposed Spirit roll if it wants to attack the bane wielder. If it attacks someone else, it has no issue. If the bane wielder wants to force the creature to make the roll, in attempt to drive it off, that would be an action. The Devout Edge is especially useful in these situations.

Comment

I like the idea of also using the bane as part of an intimidate check. "Back, back, foul demon! Beware my garlic!" Can definitely see that as an action.

As far as just wearing the garlic for protection, I see it more like holding a weapon or using a shield.

Comment

How much garlic do I need to consume and/or rub all over my body on a daily basis before vampires are physically repelled by my breath and/or body odor, and will normal humans also be repelled by it at that point?

Comment

Working...
                X