Rippers Character first attempt.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rippers Character first attempt.

So I'm completely new to Savage Systems, only have the SWADE Rules and Rippers Ressurected Edition In PDF.

The Concept for the Character was More of a Working Class (Instead of Educated Surgeon) who is doing Ripper Tech transplants and such.
    This is completely era accurate, that People who could not afford Doctors would go to people with reasonable skill sets to do the same job.
    This could be anything from a Butcher to an Undertaker or even a Farmer.

My Concept is a Butcher, who was helping people as much as possible. Eventually Got on the radar of the Rippers (Old Worlders Faction).
    And his skills with cutting meat made him a good candidate to be mentored in Rippertech. Learning multiple anatomy versions in his original Career also gave him a bit of suitability.
    Old Worlders Taught him a lot of info on the Occult, and most of his Biology is self Taught.

This character is a Butcher and good with knives, and relies on Brains rather than Brawn to get things done. And will eventually work into the Surgeon edge.
    Attributes
    Agility D6
    Smarts D8
    Spirit D6
    Strength D4
    Vigor D6

Skills
    Athletics D6
    Common Knowledge D6
    Notice D6
    Persuasion D4
    Stealth D4
    Healing D8
    Ripper Tech D8
    Occult D4
    Fighting (Knives) D6

Hinderances
    Major Secret (Which if discovered results in Major Enemy)

Edges
    Steady Hands (For Thrown weapons on the move, Cutting Parts off unwilling donors, Doing Implant surgeries on board Ships ect.)
    Grim Fatalism (as an Old Worlder, most of this knowledge was taught to him after he found the Rippers)

Derived Attibutes
    Pace 6
    Toughness 5
    Parry 5
    Reason 5
    Status 2

As a Starting Character I think it looks OK,
    I For see the development of Strength, Athletics, Occult
    Advancing to a Surgeon Edge
    And Buying actual knives and Throwing knives for combat.

But I can also see him persuing quests to invent Rippertech and Modify his Surgery tools. Which could add a lot of flavour to a game.

And as was commented on Earlier His Rippertech Tools can work as Improvised weapons as per the rule on Pg 102
    -2 from attack roll, range 3/6/12, Damage Str+d4 Which have the Same stats as Knives, and the Tool Kit was supposed to be Specialty Blades anyway.

Curious on what people have for input as I have Done this all from the Books, with No one who has ever even played a Savage based game to guide me through it.

Hinderences Conversation Points.
    Minor Vengeful
    Minor Ruthless
    Currently Under Review as per how the Hinderences Might be Played.

The Hinderances Of Vengeful (Minor) Is not going to result in every slight being avenged. If the character 'perceives' himself as being wronged at this level they would seek vengence "Legally" in most cases, and they may even scheme for Months to do it. As Ruthless Minor, it means that they will achieve set goals, and do what they have to do get there. But this level means they will stop short of true harm of someone who doesnt deserve it.
    SO on one side the compatability of the Flaws (Hinderances) could produce a Complete a$$ who would stab you in the thigh with a pen for cutting in line at the bank a week ago. But in the hands of another player, the character would steal the pen from the bank teller for letting the person cut in line instead. With (Minor) levels the vengence and follow through can be much more subtle and thought out.
    Last edited by Fraser; 06-16-2019, 04:49 AM.

Is his Shooting (knives) skill meant to reflect throwing ability? If it is, that would fall under Athletics, not Shooting. (Unless you're house-ruling throwing to be a subset of Shooting instead, in which case ignore me!) Also, I'm not so sure specialties are necessary for your Science, Fighting and Shooting skills. Familiarization, as mentioned on Page 36 of the SWADE core book, should cover your character's shakier grasp of other uses of those skills.

But these might just be nitpicks. Your real problem is Parry. You've got the half-of-d6 part right, but you also need to add 2 to the result, so his final Parry should be 5.

Other than that, I love what you've put together!

Comment

• Fraser
      Fraser commented
      Editing a comment
      Actually My Parry Was....
      2 + Half my Agility Dice which was 3 divided by 2 =1.5 which made it either 3 or 4
      Your Corrected Math is. 2+ (D8 devided by 2=4) which totals as 6

Same problem in my toughness... Corrected now.

• werenimal
      werenimal commented
      Editing a comment
      Good thing you caught the Fighting d8 part. I misread it as a d6 the first time!

• Fraser
      Fraser commented
      Editing a comment
      Either way werenimal It was still helpful feedback.
      And I bumped the shooting over to Athletics.... I dont know what I was reading, I swear it said Shooting included Knives.. LOL

I am still struggling with the Edge and Knives thing...
    Fighting (Knives) Gives him his Special Bonus for knives...
    Trademark Weapon Gives him a +1 if forced to use them (Specific Knife set) in combat (theoretically an Offset if he ever needed to throw one)

The intent was to reason why he didn't have a Reduced chance at Rippertech compared to a Medical Doctor.
    And lets face it a Surgeon has to have skill in knives.

These are precision Butcher Knives aimed at cutting into specific Creatures. Tools of the Rippertech Trade if you will.

I am not trying to create a Over Powered Character. Who can just switch a knife in his set and get a +1 bonus to fight any creature he wants with a weapon designed to damage them.
    A Str +d4(-1) doesnt make much sense because these are designed to cut better not worse... so the Str +d4 just makes sense that they are at least as dangerous as a Improvised steak knife.

I was thinking of perhapse,

"A Critical Failure while using them in Combat:
    1) The Knife is damaged and must be repaired before it can be used for Rippertech.
    2) If it has a Second Critical Failure in Combat before it is repaired, then it is destroyed can can not be repaired."

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Comment

Originally posted by Fraser View Post
      a Butcher ... good candidate to be mentored in Rippertech
      This character is a Butcher and good with knives, and relies on Brains rather than Brawn to get things done. And will eventually work into the Surgeon edge.
      Attributes
      Agility D8, Smarts D8, Spirit D4, Strength D4, Vigor D6

Skills
      Athletics D8, Common Knowledge D6, Notice D6, Persuasion D4, Stealth D4, Healing D8, Ripper Tech D8, Science (Biology) D4, Occult D4, Fighting (Knives) D8

Hinderances
      Major Secret (Which if discovered results in Major Enemy), Minor Vengeful, Minor Ruthless

Edges
      Steady Hands, Grim Fatalism (as an Old Worlder, most of this knowledge was taught to him after he found the Rippers), Trademark Weapon (Special Knife Set),
      This was intended Less as a Combat Edge, and more as a Surgery Edge to cancel out lack of official schooling.
      He has a set of Non Combat Knives designed specifically for Rippertech

[Gear]

Derived Attibutes
      Pace 6, Toughness 5 (+ 1 Armor), Parry 6, Reason 4
      That's a pitiful Spirit, which is a real problem in Rippers due to the frequency of Fear checks and the importance of Reason. Make sure you mean it when you make a character that is objectively weak willed.
      I normally wouldn't criticize the strength, but this guy was a butcher. He hacked apart carcasses with speed and efficiency. To move those carcasses around, and cleave them into sections, requires at least average Strength.

Why the Skill specializations for Science and Fighting? The setting doesn't use that rule. At all. Seems confusing to include them.
      Speaking of skills, he's overspent by 3 points. As of Adventure Edition, you only get 12 skill points during character creation. You've currently spent 2 in Athletics, 1 in Common Knowledge, 1 Notice, 3 Healing, 3 Ripper Tech, 1 Science, 1 Occult, and 3 Fighting. Total 15 points spent.

This guy's hindrances make him a jerk that will hurt anyone in his way, will always pay back slights, and will constantly act shady until some dark secret is revealed and an evil horror devotes itself to eliminating him. A surprisingly dull character in the hands of most players, and his big story is entirely in the hands of the GM to reveal.

Why Steady Hands? It's almost completely useless for someone that doesn't shoot. Sure, you envision him as a kind of surgeon with steady hands, but the Stead Hands edge only applies to Unstable Platform penalties - unless your GM applies those to surgery aboard a vehicle, the guy with no ranged attacks isn't going to worry about that. There is the corner case of reducing the Fighting penalty to Run, but that's too trivial to waste an edge on.
      Trademark Weapon applies to a single weapon. Just one. You have to have d8+ in Fighting / Shooting, and it applies to all attack rolls with that specific weapon, and boosts Parry while using that weapon. For a character without any actual weapons, it's a really strange Edge choice. Especially since you want to go Surgeon with this character.
      I think you'd be better served dropping both those edges to get your Spirit and Strength to d6. (See the summary on page 55 of Adventure Edition.)

His gear includes seven different knives, three of which are special materials (£1.75) plus four mundane blades (£1). With the coat, totals to £4.75.
      If what you wanted was a set of medical tools that he could improvise as weapons then you should have bought the Toolkit for (healing / ripper tech). Then relied upon the Improvised Weapon rules (core rules, page 102) when you choose to fight with them. That would mean no money for the armored coat, but that reinforces the non-combatant style you were intending.

Toughness is generally written as 6 (1), indicating at total Toughness 6 but one of it comes from armor and can be negated by AP.

Overall, not a bad start. Other than the skill points thing, there's nothing that needs to be changed. But I offer my suggestions to help you approach your stated goal. Good luck!
      I hope you find the above post useful. And not insulting, because I was trying to be helpful, not insulting; being a pedantic jerk, that isn't always clear.

Comment

• Fraser
        Fraser commented
        Editing a comment
        You are pretty Observant...
        "My" Character is 'not' a Butcher.... I just didnt want my entire concept stolen if I chose to use it in something more official one day.
        Steady Hands, Not Needing Strength is based on a Completely Different Proffession.... (FYI Steady Hands Makes sense for doing surgery on an unwilling Donar, Throwing Knives or implanting Rippertech aboard a ship)

The Secret being kept is Completely Fleshed out.... as Is the Enemy he would gain if it came to light. (Not left to the GM to reveal)

The Hinderances Of Vengeful (Minor) Is not going to result in every slight being avenged. If the character 'perceives' himself as being wronged at this level they would seek vengence "Legally" in most cases, and they may even scheme for Months to do it. As Ruthless Minor, it means that they will achieve set goals, and do what they have to do get there. But this level means they will stop short of true harm of someone who doesnt deserve it.
        SO on one side the compatability of the Flaws (Hinderances) could produce a Complete a$$ who would stab you in the thigh with a pen for cutting in line at the bank a week ago. But in the hands of another player, the character would steal the pen from the bank teller for letting the person cut in line instead. With (Minor) levels the vengence and follow through can be much more subtle and thought out.

Truth is if I said the name of the Literary Character this was based off of... people would Look at it and the larger picture makes a lot more sense.

Honestly I hadn't expected someone to do anything more than check numbers and drop a couple suggestions... So again I Applaud you for going well beyond that and calling me out on my "Hidden" Data.

Now on to the other parts...

New to the game so I had no idea how important Spirit was.. :-) Thanks for the heads up.

I had completely missed the Toolkit and Improvised Weapons thing.... thanks for pointing that out.
        And the Overspend on the Skills, I was using a Youtube Video and Rippers Players Guide and SWADE book. Likely acidentally got the number from one of the older documents.

Sceince (Occult) is its own skill "Occult" now. Science (Biology) was a decision made by me thinking it important... (not knowing anything about the game) Fighting D8 (Knives) was a Pre requisite for an edge.
        Last edited by Fraser; 06-16-2019, 03:34 AM.

• ValhallaGH
        ValhallaGH commented
        Editing a comment
        Fraser The name Steady Hands makes sense for this concept. The mechanics of Steady Hands do not. Make sure to read the edge before you waste precious character resources on it.
        Your post explicitly states that your character concept is "a Butcher, who was helping people as much as possible." So, an ex-butcher turned ripper tech surgeon. I'm still amazed that he's so weak after just a year or two away from meat cleaving.
        And per forum rule #4 you own all original content you post here. But if this is just your version of Sweeney Todd, or whoever, then you wouldn't own it. So there is reason for concern.
        Also, the randomly capitalized words is confusing. Please reduce the frequency to proper nouns and those game terms that are supposed to be capitalized, or just proper nouns. Thanks!

Your secret isn't up to the GM. Making it relevant to the scene, and something the other players will stumble upon, absolutely is. That is why it's up to the GM to reveal.
        You want to run Vengeful in a less intense fashion than the Hindrance says? That's your business and I wish you luck with it. But if your character isn't a vengeful jerk then why is vengeful one of his two defining personality traits? Something to think about.

Science is a single skill. It covers biology, chemistry, geology, paleontology, physics, and a few other areas. It's the technical cousin of the Academics skill, which covers history, literature, philosophy, and non applied mathematics. Contrast with the supernaturally focused Occult skill, that covers legends, myths, rituals, and information about creatures both real and fictional.
        Fighting is a single skill. It includes combat with one's body, knives, swords, clubs, hammers, axes, plasma swords, and other close combat weapons.
        A character can have any of those skills with an emphasis in a specialty area (e.g. biology, classical literature, monsters, knives) but those specialties don't matter to the rules unless you have another specialization ability. Like Trademark Weapon.

• Fraser
        Fraser commented
        Editing a comment
        ValhallaGH
        Thank you again for the input. There are of course a few things I cannot control. Among them misinterpretation, typing skills, and some minor quirks I have yet to fight off from my ADD. Which is where my grammar and capitolization comes from... also my spelling. Seriously I'm not trying to be a jerk, while writing this, it's just harder to control when it is the forethought of my mind.(I've already gone over this twice to fix things.) I am fully willing to admit I'm new here and don't know everyone yet. So Rule #4 provides little comfort to me. I had a full character concept including name stolen by a person I played with who was suposed to be my friend. And they used it in a Novel they wrote for the Company that published the game. These things are as much part of me as the things that caused your "Disclaimer" you have in your signature, that I take to Heart. :-)

Sweeney Todd, while not whom I was thinking of... actually fits this conceptual Idea pretty good. (Another good suggestion)

As for the misinterpretation thing... I thought we were talking about the GM revealing the Secret to "me" not the party, or game world in general. As it is still the character generation we are discussing.

It is very helpful to know how these things you bring up about the game works. As I have no one around who plays this Savage system. (I have been looking and in my entire town I found one book that has been on a shelf for years, and 2 of 3 game stores had never even heard of Savage games system) So it seems most of my learning will be through here and Youtube.

My previous system I used the most had a skill for literally everything as a starting character would often have more than 50 skills. Science for example meant you had a basic understanding of the scientific method and basic rules. Science (Biology) Meant you had a understanding of Biology... and you would still have to get Science (Chemistry) if you wanted to make gunpowder for example.
        So knowing in this game Science covers all of that, and the specialties in the description were not "that" specialized. Very useful.

Not sure if you noticed I had adjusted the edges and flaws above after your earlier comments.
        Every game I have played that type of thing in before they have been according to the text "To add flavour to the game" as additional fluff to make a better understanding of role play. So I personally never really used them as I don't need to be told how to make a creative character or how to consistantly roll play my character concept.
        So I'm struggling in a game that "requires' them as a core part of Character Generation.

Do you have any More applicable edges or hinderances that you can suggest to a first timer? Because I'm obviously Picturing the wrong things when I am reading these in the book. Like for example, the probability the GM might use "Unstable Platform" rules on a person trying to do fine motor skills on an unstable or moving platform. Or that a Ship would constitute and unstable platform in Combat. And the difference between a "minor" and "major" hinderance.

Your Toolkit Idea was Spot-on... So I'm hoping to learn a little more about edges and hinderances here if your willing.

I appreciate the input from everyone... I hope it keeps coming.
      This is very helpful for me to see where to keep an eye on things.

Comment

Working...
      X