SWADE Setting Conversion Documents Feedback

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SWADE Setting Conversion Documents Feedback

So PEG just released a bunch of updates to Savage Settings for SWADE compatibility.

The Last Parsec
    Lankhmar
    Fear Agent
    Goon

They all tell us to give feedback here on the forums so I figured we should just make one big thread of all of 'em.

I've only briefly looked through them, but I have one major piece of feedback for Lankhmar, and one minor. First, the Honeyed Tongue says "see below for Selling Goods," and then never mentions it again. More importantly, though, the Dirty Fighter Edge is very lackluster. The Killer Instinct Edge in SWADE proper allows a free reroll for any Test the character initiates. This updated Dirty Fighter allows a free reroll only when Testing enemies with Athletics, Fighting, Shooting, or arcane rolls. It's a strictly worse iteration of the Killer Instinct Edge.

It definitely needs something else to help it stand out, something more lateral than a reroll. As a suggestion, maybe something like this could help:

If a Dirty Fighter scores a success with a Test using Athletics, Fighting, Shooting, or an arcane skill, the victim is also Shaken. A raise leaves the victim Distracted, Shaken, and Vulnerable.

Dirty Fighter is still a strict improvement over this, as a raise leaves the target subject to the Drop (which is strictly better than Vulnerable and doesn't stack), so a raise on a Test then leaves the victim Distracted, Shaken, and subject to the Drop until he unshakes.

Leave any more feedback you guys have here!
    Join the Unofficial Savage Worlds Discord!

My thoughts, musings, and general character adaptations on Savage Everything.

It will probably be a lot easier to avoid confusion to make a thread for each setting.

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorBoson View Post

I've only briefly looked through them, but I have one major piece of feedback for Lankhmar, and one minor. First, the Honeyed Tongue says "see below for Selling Goods," and then never mentions it again. More importantly, though, the Dirty Fighter Edge is very lackluster. The Killer Instinct Edge in SWADE proper allows a free reroll for any Test the character initiates. This updated Dirty Fighter allows a free reroll only when Testing enemies with Athletics, Fighting, Shooting, or arcane rolls. It's a strictly worse iteration of the Killer Instinct Edge.

It definitely needs something else to help it stand out, something more lateral than a reroll. As a suggestion, maybe something like this could help:

If a Dirty Fighter scores a success with a Test using Athletics, Fighting, Shooting, or an arcane skill, the victim is also Shaken. A raise leaves the victim Distracted, Shaken, and Vulnerable.

Dirty Fighter is still a strict improvement over this, as a raise leaves the target subject to the Drop (which is strictly better than Vulnerable and doesn't stack), so a raise on a Test then leaves the victim Distracted, Shaken, and subject to the Drop until he unshakes.

Leave any more feedback you guys have here!
      This really stood out with me as well. I like your suggestion well enough

Sorcery

I'm not really hip to players taking Ugly as a Hindrance as a way to holding off all black magic corruption, cause that's what it looks like would happen. Unless I'm reading it wrong.

Comment

• Deskepticon
        Deskepticon commented
        Editing a comment
        Re: Sorcery

That's how it looks to me too. It seems a character can begin with Very Ugly, and then never need to worry about further penalties from Corruption.

• skylion
        skylion commented
        Editing a comment
        How about using the Negative Racial Abilities as a Corruption tracker? I''m already against using Ugly as I've already noted. Further I feel that Corruption should and could work in other areas. But in the vein I'm wary of "Hindrance min/maxing". The Negative Racial traits have very real and visible consequences that mechanically make up for the Black Magic casting boost.

The Goon

The section under General Rules is a complete copy and paste from then notes from Fear Agent. Seems like the language in the rest of the conversion guide reflects the language of the Goon more.

Comment

• Deskepticon
        Deskepticon commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah, the mention of Knowledge (Astrogation) seems out of place, considering the other Conversion Docs have examples that are more topical to the setting.

Still, it's under the "General" Notes header, so it's not like it's an error... it's just providing an example.

Lankhmar PDF

First off, there is repeated text under the General Notes header; the last paragraph is written twice. Also, the examples of converting skills appears under General Notes as well as Making Characters.

It's not a big deal, but if the PDF ever gets updated, you can squeeze in as much 10 lines of addition text by eliminating the repetition.
      ________

Under General Notes it says Knowledge (Arcana) is converted to Occult, but under Making Characters it says it converts to Arcana.

Is the former the correct conversion, or is Arcana a new skill in the setting?
      _________

Dirty Fighter/Really DF
      I agree, this wording treads on the Killer Instinct Edge. Just spitballing a fresh rewrite here:
      Dirty Fighter: A raise on a Test using an arcane skill, Athletics, Fighting, or Shooting allows the character to make an immediate free attack against the target with no multiple action penalty.
      Really Dirty Fighter: As above, but the attack also receives The Drop.

It's a unique mechanic that doesn't encroach (or potentially stack!) with Killer Instinct, and it can be particularly effective when used with the Feint Edge.
      Last edited by Deskepticon; 05-20-2019, 11:54 PM. Reason: Fixed typos

Comment

Fear Agent PDF

Dark Secret
        Is this significantly different from the Secret Hindrance in SWADE? Or Shamed?

Comment

The Goon

Dark Secret
          Does this cover more than what Secret (SWADE) offers?

Gear
          Blackjack and Brass Knuckles says "Unarmed Attacker". Should be Unarmed Defender.

Also, should the knucker dusters get a bonus to conceal, like the switchblade does?

Should a Broken Bottle be a single use item? Or at least shatter on a roll of 1 or something?

Comment

The Last Parsec

Rakashan Racial Enemy:
            Rakashans subtract 4 from Persuasion rolls when dealing with kalians.
            Shouldn't the kalians also receive Racial Enemy?

As it stands now, the rakashans will lose any opposed Persuasion contest nearly every time. More to the point, the kalians will win those arguments. What this suggests to me is that these aren't two species that hate each other and consistantly talk-passed each other... it's one race (the rakashans) constantly conceding the argument and capitulating to their "betters" (the kalians). It effectively plays out as though the rakashans are a slave race for the kalians.

By contrast, if both races received a -4 to each other, then neither would stand a good chance of "winning". They'll effectively be at a stalemate.

Ultimately, though, it seems that the Racial Enemy ability would have been better served by modifying the Initial Reaction Table of the two races. If they both started at Hostile or Unfriendly toward each other, then the GM could have ruled that some headway needed to be made before negotiations can open. And in the case of Persuasion Tests, it seems thats where Comprehensive Modifiers come in.

But I digress...
            At any rate, it seems kalians should also have Racial Enemy.

​​​​​​​~

Comment

The Last Parsec

Based on the flavor text for the More Skill Points Setting Rule in SWADE (hell, it straight up name-drops The Last Parsec!), it seems like TLP would be a perfect setting to have it in play. And yet, it's not mentioned. Is this intentional?

Comment

• stadi
                stadi commented
                Editing a comment
                That was the first thing I checked in the document and I also think this is strange.

I only checked the TLP document, and I would prefer if it had the original TLP colors / layout. If I print it out and put it in my books, it looks much better that way.

Comment

Lankhmar

Blade Octopus

The note on the blade octopus's Size says its Toughness should be 6. But it already is 6, so if the Size is being boosted four levels, it should be 10.

Comment

Lankhmar

Ratlings (Stealth) Ratlings start with a d6 in Stealth rather than a d4.
                  Ratlings don't have a Stealth ability to change this die type, nor does the Errata PDF add one. Am I missing something?

Comment

• Deskepticon
                    Deskepticon commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Stealth is a Core Skill in SWADE, so it already starts at d4. The update converts the ratlings' bonus to Stealth to an increased die type instead... which means an increased natch maximum as well.

P.S. - Welcome to the Forums.

• Talyn328
                    Talyn328 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Ok I see where that one's going. Thanks! And thanks, too!
                    Last edited by Talyn328; 06-01-2019, 01:39 PM.

Lankhmar

Making Characters: Follow the rules presented in SWADE, with the exception that the races of Lankhmar start with +4 points in racial abilities rather than +2.
                  Is this one of the cases like above where people say it's copy/pasted out of something? Lankhmar: City of Thieves page 9 makes it very clear that humans, ghouls and ratlings are the only races; there are no additional options for creating custom races to insert the above text into.

New Edges (Cocky)
                  She may perform a Test of Wills while delivering her speech, but doesn't have to.
                  Test of Wills was removed from SWADE. Replace with Test?

Charisma

I'm aware of the "Charisma is ignored" statement, however the following have modifiers that need to be addressed:

Ratlings (Secret Nature): Other humans have no enmity toward ratlings, but citizens of Ilthmar, where the Rat God is worshiped, revere ratlings. The character's Charisma increases by +2 with most citizens of Ilthmar.
                  Should this be +2 to Persuasion rolls? Or alternatively, be treated as if they had the Fame edge?

Tailored Clothing (page 23) Anyone wearing tailored clothing may add +1 to his Charisma in situations where his status has an effect.
                  Physical Corruption (page 30)
                  I would like clarification on the SWADE application, please. Is the table removed in favor of the Hindrances currently listed in the conversion PDF?

Backlash

Backlash is now defined as a Critical Failure (rather than simply rolling a 1 on the arcane skill die).
                  Again, I would like clarification on this. The existing text gives one point of Corruption for a normal failure and two points for a critical failure.

Knowledge (Lankhmar) which new skill would be appropriate to replace this with? It seems like Common Knowledge but a few NPCs have various skill levels to various Knowledge skills, so would Common Knowledge (Lankhmar) be appropriate here? Same for the others (Legends, the Sea, etc.) that don't neatly fit into one of the SWADE boxes.
                  Last edited by Talyn328; 06-03-2019, 02:43 PM.

Comment

Rippers

P19 MASTER OF DISGUISE: Replace Persuasion Requirement with Performance d6.
                    The Requirement was Persuasion d8. Alternate Identity replaces Persuasion d6 with Performance d6, this one doesn't replace Persuasion d8 with Performance d8. Oversight or Intention?
                    If it's intended: Since Master of Disguise already needs Alternate Identity (which needed Performance d6), checking for Performance d6 again doesn't seem to make much sense – likewise, you don't check for Fighting d8+ for Improved Block either, since you need Block in the first place.

Also, under vehicles, you misspelled Carriage as Carraige.
                    Last edited by Vasant; 06-04-2019, 07:17 PM.

Comment

• Deskepticon
                      Deskepticon commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Might have something to do with Persuasion being a Core Skill, hence the requirement for Performance is dropped one die type... but would be nice to have a clarification on this.

The Goon

I'd like a bit of clarification on Arcane Background (Weird Science). Does it still only offer one starting power and 10 Power Points, or is it more in line with the current version of Weird Science in SWADE? Also, it'd be nice to see an updated list of available powers for each of the Arcane Backgrounds, or at the very least a brief listing of changes to the lists. Should any of them now offer object reading, for example, or resurrection?

Comment

• ValhallaGH
                      ValhallaGH commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Unless noted otherwise, any listed Arcane Backgrounds function as defined by the core rules.

• werenimal
                      werenimal commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thanks!
                  Working...
                  X