ETU - Majors

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ETU - Majors

I am running ETU and I can't find where the Major skills start at (I assume d4) and when PCs can increase them. (I assume right away but do they have to take exams?)

Welcome to the forum!

Skills for Majors are just like every other skill. They start Untrained, rolling d4-2 when they need to be rolled, and can be increased with Advances like any other skill.

For a variety of game play and fun reasons, I'd recommend allowing players to treat getting a new skill as "increasing a skill that is below its linked attribute". Unless you're using the just-released Adventure Edition core rules, that would be a house rule.

Good luck! And feel free to ask if you have more questions.
    I hope you find the above post useful. And not insulting, because I was trying to be helpful, not insulting; being a pedantic jerk, that isn't always clear.

Comment

On Page 8 under "Step 2: Major," this passage seems to indicate that Students buy their Major Skill at Character Creation using their starting Skill Points:
      Check out that Selected Majors sidebar and don’t forget to take a Major Skill as one of your starting skills.
      When I ran the game, Students could increase their Major Skill with an Advance (whether they passed the Exams or not). It was always better in the long run to begin with at least a d4 in a Major Skill so that an entire Advance wouldn't be necessary later on to buy it before advancing to Junior Rank. Under SWADE, that's no longer an issue, as a new Skill can be bought with an Advance alongside another new Skill or a die type added to an existing Skill.

Comment

In the game I played the characters all had at least a d6 in their major. After all, it is not like they woke up the first day of class and said "Hey, I should learn archaeology. That could be fun." They have at least some experience with the topic to know they want it as their major.
        I have way too much time but do not always edit myself properly. Please do not take offense.

Comment

• ValhallaGH
          ValhallaGH commented
          Editing a comment
          I had two characters that were Undeclared until halfway through Sophomore year.
          Sometimes it takes a while to determine what your Major should be, and then you have to start learning it. And sometimes you realize you need to change majors.
      Working...
      X