Adventure Edition and Deadlands

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adventure Edition and Deadlands

There are Quite a few changes to the Powers Section (Like Regeneration). I new to Deadlands and Wonder how to combine them. ...

There will be a new edition of Deadlands coming out in the nearish future (I believe sometime next year) using the new SWADE rules. We'll see which arcane backgrounds get which powers, and how they'll work.

Comment

Originally posted by baumi View Post
      There are Quite a few changes to the Powers Section (Like Regeneration). I new to Deadlands and Wonder how to combine them. ...
      Regeneration isn't in the Powers section, it is in the Bestiary section. Which is where it always has been, and it hasn't changed significantly.
      Did you mean Resurrection? Because that power doesn't belong on any of the power lists in the setting (thematically) - though the mechanics could be used as a quest reward or the temptation to utilize a horrific relic. You could add it to a couple of them (Blessed and Shamans are the only two it would fit), but being able to come back from death without being an abomination (or having to kill and abomination) doesn't fit the tone of the setting.

The rest of the powers are factored into the setting. Some of the mechanics, or names, have changed but they're already accounted for. You should be okay, and if you do have any specific concerns then we'll be happy to help out.
      I hope you find the above post useful. And not insulting, because I was trying to be helpful, not insulting; being a pedantic jerk, that isn't always clear.

Comment

Oh, no I ment the regeneration of Power Points which is now 5/hour of "rest" (light activity). And there are other changes like only having to pay 1PP for a failed roll, easier mainance, etc.

On the other hand there are also quite a few changes on the Powers itself, like Bolt doesn't let you cast multiple bolts or Summon Ally is restricted to one creature.

Comment

Oh! You meant Recharging! Yeah, that's an important change.
          The only one really affected by this is Hucksters. I expect they'll change to 1 / hour, with 2 / hour and 5 / hour if they invest in Rapid Recharge. Everyone else already followed the normal rules for Power Points (well, Blessed after Stone & a Hard Place), with some variations.
          Example: Shamans get a boost, but they were already "twice his usual rate" under the correct circumstances. Instead of being 2/4/6 that's now 10/20/40.

As I already mentioned, a number of the powers changed how they work but that doesn't change the Arcane Backgrounds at all.
          You can still shoot three big bolts for 6 Power Points, but that's now three separate actions (each gets its own Wild Die but all have a -4 Multi-Action Penalty). Summon ally was only available to Hucksters, calling animals, and only being able to call forth one at a time isn't a big change; you can still summon three but that's three actions.
          So while combat and gameplay will change some, until they release the updated setting books you can still use the new core rules.
          I hope you find the above post useful. And not insulting, because I was trying to be helpful, not insulting; being a pedantic jerk, that isn't always clear.

Comment

I believe they've said the new Deadlands edition will skip time up a bit (at least to just after the big four PPCs), so I'd expect the post-Stone Blessed to be the standard.

Comment

Thanks! 8D

What where those changes for the Blessed?

Btw you are completely right. Most Backgrounds don't need changes. The Huckster only need a simple one, but I am Wondering what you would change with the new Mad Science?

Comment

• ValhallaGH
                ValhallaGH commented
                Editing a comment
                Stone and a Hard Place errata has the updated Blessed.

• mattprice516
                mattprice516 commented
                Editing a comment
                I'm not sure I understand the changes to the Blessed. The prose says they're weaker than "before", but it seems like they just converted from a (modified) No Power Points AB to a standard AB. Does that count as "weaker", I guess?

• Erolat
                Erolat commented
                Editing a comment
                mattprice516 Also the fact that they now have to select specific powers in stead of just cast whatever they want. No more Novices casting Greater Heal. Though with the new powers I suppose they might. Perhaps Exorcism is a better example.

I played around with it a little bit. Hucksters are just magicians who get 5 PP back every three hours instead of one. Shamans are miracle workers with 15 PP and still rely on the deluxe-ified rules for appeasing spirits. Chi Masters are now Gifted with two powers instead of one.

Blessed and Mad Scientists are a little trickier. DLR's protection needs a new name, and I feel like, to keep things even, Blessed should get that and a 5th power; along with 15 PP to start. But that's a lot. Artificer now includes parts of Alchemist, so I'm not sure how many more PP to give the infernal engineers. I'm leaning towards 20, but that seems underpowered by comparison.

Guts, as a skill, is gone, so drop it from Edge requirements. Texas Rangers don't need Tracking anymore (it's part of Survival now), and really that goes for anything with Tracking as a requirement before. Their old Charisma bonus now applies to Persuasion, and halve it. I want to say Agents don't need the Streetwise Edge, and am leaning towards making the skill requirement Persuasion d6 to cover the networking aspect. But I also know Intimidation could work just as well. Their old Guts bonus should now apply to general Spirit checks against Fear.

Consider adding in the Guts and Grit Edges from DLN. If you do, have Guts and Grit (maybe rename it True Grit and dump the DLR version) add to their Grit statistic, but don't let it contribute to their Fear Checks. They'll still add to checks for coming back harrowed, as intended in DLN, but now also factor into duels and hucksters dealin' with the devil. Yeah, they'll be a little stronger than before, but it shouldn't break the game too much.

Comment

• Jounichi
                Jounichi commented
                Editing a comment
                Shaman haven't needed to dance in years. You're working from the outdated second printing. That said, DLR is a noticable step up in power over the typical savage setting.

• baumi
                baumi commented
                Editing a comment
                I'm confused. I just looked at the Players Guide PDF that was send out to the kickstarters last week (which should be the newest Version) and it says on Page 95 that Shamans have to perform a ~4 hour Ritual or receive a penalty.

Did they send out an old PDF or is there another Version in one of the countless other Deadland Books?

• Jounichi
                Jounichi commented
                Editing a comment
                Ah, I thought you were talking about the rituals they had to perform to cast. Yeah, they do have ceremonies they must perform now, and the time required is lowered by their Tribal Medicine die.

It should go without saying the shaman's dance is largely a roleplaying mechanic. Their whole schtick is about shunning industry and technology and staying close to nature. If you're captured and can't dance, that's a problem. But it can be alleviated by sticking to the Old Ways Oath and stretching out how long you need to dance. Theoretically, you can get it done only in the downtime between adventures and have it never come up. That's the trade-off. If you want more freedom in the modern world, you shun the old ways and must appease the spirits more often.

any ideas for fanning the hammer? also martial artists

Comment

Welcome to the forum!
                Originally posted by Ocule View Post
                any ideas for fanning the hammer? also martial artists
                In reverse order:
                Martial Artists use the Gifted arcane background. The general unarmed combat edges do wonders for them (count as armed, +2 to Fighting unarmed, +2 Toughness, unarmed Str+d10 damage). The Chi edge works well for Superior Kung Fu that isn't actual magic.

Fanning the Hammer can be done with the suppressive fire rules. Unfortunately, you'll only drop one guy per action.
                The Rapid Fire edges handle it reasonably well, too.
                Last, but not least, Double Tap used for three actions will put six bullets into three targets.
                Cutter & Shane will probably come up with something different for the next Deadlands setting book. Because none of those proposals can put six bullets into six different people - though you can do a great Man With No Name impression using them.

Comment

so far im looking at frenzy for inspiration on fan the hammer. im figuring 3 actions, 2 shots each. or i could just use a ramged version of frenzy, plus recoil or something. or keep it as is for now but i dont want it repeatable.

as for martial arts deluxe conversion said to ignore the edges and use the players guide ones. but they got a major update in swade, so using gifted along with the new martial arts edges. superior kung fu will be interesting i dont want to overpower them

Comment

• Ocule
                    Ocule commented
                    Editing a comment
                    only concern with rof 2 uses 5 ammo. means you get two shooting dice plus one more shot if you multi action before youre out of ammo. only thing i can think of is a setting rule for single action to only use 2 or 3 bullets per attack with rof 2. i dont see a precedence so far for lowering ammo required for increased rof

• DoctorBoson
                    DoctorBoson commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I’ve mentioned this before but I think it’s perfectly reasonable for Rapid Fire to only use two rounds if being used with a RoF 1 weapon, instead of five. Characters can put down two well-placed pistol, rifle, etc shots but suffer the recoil penalty without Rock and Roll.

• ValhallaGH
                    ValhallaGH commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yeah, I'd probably do the same as DoctorBoson. I can sort of see why the RAW work as they do but that's something I'd change for Deadlands.

was seeing how everyone was doing it. i might end up doing that as a temp fix till deadlands gets updated

Comment

When in doubt, I suggest going with whatever is in the Deadlands setting rules, rather than the core rules. At least until you've got the new, yet-to-be-released revised version. (If you decide later that you even need the newer Deadlands books).

Comment

Originally posted by Baiyo View Post
                      (If you decide later that you even need the newer Deadlands books).
                      Since the new setting book marches forward to 1882 - or later, it is worth picking up to see how the west looks post-Servitor.

Comment

• Augusto Antunes
                        Augusto Antunes commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Yup. It will be set in 1884 according to Matt Cutter.

Do we know when in 2019 Deadlands Adventure Edition will be coming out?

Comment

Working...
                      X