50 Fathoms Player Fleet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 50 Fathoms Player Fleet

Would my players in 50 Fathoms gaining control of multiple ships to form a pirate fleet cause any problems?
    It is assumed that faster ships can intentionally slow themselves down to keep the fleet together.

Cause problems? Yes.
    Will those problems make the game worse? Probably not.

Lots of ships means lots of NPCs, lots of logistics, and the chance to bring overwhelming firepower to almost every fight. The first and last will put a larger burden on the GM (you) and the second will put a larger burden on your players. Those are problems, and they can make the game less fun for some or all of you.

Good luck!
    I hope you find the above post useful. And not insulting, because I was trying to be helpful, not insulting; being a pedantic jerk, that isn't always clear.

Comment

When I ran 50F, we had one player that took on the logistics role for their ship. I'm pretty sure he would have had less fun if they tried to recruit additional ships and form their own fleet. Secondly, unless they are going to split the party and have PCs captain the various ships, maintaining control and preventing desertion is going to be more difficult. I got around this by using the ship combat rules from Pirates of the Spanish Main that use the Wizkids models and pickeed up a bunch off eBay for cheap. Then I just gave the PCs opportunities to make temporary alliances with other ships from time to time to give them a way to experience larger fleet actions on the tabletop without the full time logistics investment in maintaining their own fleet.
      Last edited by mac40k; 09-09-2018, 04:08 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X