Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ETU Questions!

Hello!

I'm exploring various Savage Worlds settings and ETU definitely caught my interest. I have both of the books (main ETU book and Degrees of Horror) and I'm intrigued by the possibilties... That said, I have some questions for those that use this setting.

1. What is your opinion on this setting's mood? Do you run it as pure horror? Fun college adventure? Something in between?

2. Do you guys use the Plot Point campaign from Degrees of Horror, or did you create your own storyline and explanation for ETU's weirdness?

3. How much of the setting is inherently Texan? Could the university, town etc. be transplanted to, say, Illinois - or does the whole setting make only sense in the context of Texas?

I'd be grateful for your input!

Great setting, lots of fun.

1. It accommodates a range of moods, spanning from pure horror to supernatural comedy to slice of life. Most ETU games end up in the middle, with moments of horror and tragedy contrasted against moments of humor and collegiate silliness.

2. I ran Degrees of Horror and my table had a blast. You can create your own stuff, and I did create some stuff to fill the time between plot points, but I enjoyed the PPC enough to give it a try and it didn't disappoint.

3. You can transplant it but you'll add a lot of extra work, because the details are full of Texas. The creators are from Texas and had a very specific region of the state in mind for their fictional town and college. Also, the art work immediately evokes Texas, so you won't be able to use much of the excellent art.
    Honestly, I'm not sure why you'd want to transplant it.
    I hope you find the above post useful. And not insulting, because I was trying to be helpful, not insulting; being a pedantic jerk, that isn't always clear.

Comment

Originally posted by Varsovian View Post
      1. What is your opinion on this setting's mood? Do you run it as pure horror? Fun college adventure? Something in between?
      Honestly, I think I run it closer to the early seasons of the old shows Buffy The Vampure Slayer and Charmed. You're saving people and investigating the paranormal, but also trying to keep it from ruining your normal life.

The way I explain it to new players is "Your characters have no sense of priority. Everything is equally important, life or death. You want to stop the bloodthirsty carnage but you also need to not be late for work."

2. Do you guys use the Plot Point campaign from Degrees of Horror, or did you create your own storyline and explanation for ETU's weirdness?
      I started off with the first two plot points in Degrees of Horror, Freshman Orientation and Return To The Roost and things just took off from there. I still tried to follow the plot points and savage tales but ended up improvising and adding to them a lot. The general story is still Degrees of Horror though.

3. How much of the setting is inherently Texan? Could the university, town etc. be transplanted to, say, Illinois - or does the whole setting make only sense in the context of Texas?
      You could have a fun supernatural college campaign anywhere, but I'm not sure you'd still call that ETU. ETU writers utilized the setting very well.

Everytime something seems weird or wrong, we just shrug and say "It's Texas!" as an explanation. It's a running gag, mostly to cover up my mistakes.

Texas also has a few aspects that give it some advantages:

1) It's both civilized and rural. Where else is it sensible to have a computer programmer with horse riding skills.

2) It's known for "rugged independence" as a cultural trait so the concept of these ibdependent troubleshooting youths seems less far fetched.

3) There's wilderness everywhere. If you want to have an adventure where PCs can't just call the cops, it's easy to do.

4) Texas is heavily associated with firearms, and the ability to get or transport a gun is easier. Ditto with big trucks.

5) Texas acrually has a rich supernatural history, with its own legends and haunted locations you can research on the internet.

6) The tropes! Cowboys, train robberies, bank heists, oil strikes, abandoned mines...

7) My campaign featured wealthy aristocratic families owning farms and ranches, which was a great occasional escape from University adventures. Pinebox could have dirt poor cityfolk rubbing elbows with wealthy rural types, kind of the opposite of Clark Kent / Lex Luthor from Smallville.

8) Texas has a fun cultural blend, too, as far as background occult lore. You have a heavy (even hardcore) christian influence, old west cowboy stuff, indian burial sites, mexican lore (aztec/mayan stuff), and with Louisiana not being far, voodoo stuff and witchcraft. You have characters that speak English, Spanish, and French.
      Last edited by LordRahvin; 06-19-2018, 08:29 AM.

Comment

1) I am currently playing in an ETU campaign. (Ok, we are on a short hiatus for play testing another setting.) It is a cross between Scooby Doo and Supernatural, set in college. Sometimes we spend almost as much time laughing as we do chasing critters, sometimes we are just fighting to stay alive long enough to get to our next test. As the years have progressed the fear factor has gone up but the comedy can still be found.

2) From what I have been able to determine we are doing the plot point but also a lot of side things. The GM has time set up to be about one week between each session. Too keep us from advancing too fast we only get one EXP each week but we have a lot more opportunities to get cool gear.

3) As others have said a lot of the stuff is specifically written for the Texas setting. You could move it but some of the 'adventure' is that so much is so far away. Any 'real' support outside Pinebox is several hours away at best. This sort of forces the players to look for local help or to just figure it out on their own.
        I have way too much time but do not always edit myself properly. Please do not take offense.

Comment

Lord Rahvin....you made my morning! Love it! I hope Varsovian enjoys the campaign. Wait till y'all see what Preston Dubose has been working on! I think you will love it!

Comment

You could probably move it, but you should move the entire city, not just the college. Putting it in, say, eastern Washington would work, but putting the college in downtown Seattle would make it have a different feel.

Comment

Working...
            X