Kaiju Setting?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kaiju Setting?

Have any of you run or played a game where the players are the kaiju? How did you go about creating stats for the kaiju and what (if any) rules did you change/add?

I would make them using the super powers companion, using some modifications.

First, everyone is gargantuan with Heavy Armor and all attacks automatically deal Heavy Weapon Damage. This also means normal sized targets are at -4 to hit and large targets are at -2. However, since everybody is of similar size, treated everyone as size 0. Large targets are at size -2 and small targets are at size -4.

It is still possible to be larger than normal, though. Replace the Growth power with Super-Size. Each rank costs three points and add one point of Size and step of Strength. No additional penalty for size as well, since everybody is already gargantuan from the get go.

Load limit must change as well. Out of the top of my head, I think 50 tons times Strength die step is fair.

You would have to create stats for enemies as well, since tanks for example would be bastly différent from a normal game of SW. Probably Size -2 extras with a Toughness of 12 (7) dealing 2d6 HW damage.

The rest is Vanilla SP. I would use the either the pulp or street level power level.

Comment

There is a periodical for The Day after Ragnarok called Serpent Scales. Issue #3 contains an adventure called 'Return to Monster Island'. It can be purchased at Drivethrurpg. It contains several examples of Kaiju which might give you something to work with

Comment

Only problem with a Kaiju setting is that Kaiju are HUGE and people are tiny in comparison. If you use supers, then that offsets it somewhat, more so if you use mecha, but if it is mecha vs kaiju then why have people in it?

I did a bit of a fix in a game that had kaiju in it. I took the idea of Kaiju Blue and made it a mutigen, similar to dragonblight in Iron Kingdoms. humans and animals are affected by the stuff and create human sized kaiju critters. This gives the humans something their sized to fight while the big boys in the bots battle the kaiju themselves.

Comment

Back before the Science Fiction Companion was released, GMs would sometimes implement Mecha via the construct rules in the SPC1, which in a way made made Mecha play like Kaiju. I tried it once and my players disliked it because they didn't get a sense of their PC controlling a hulking vehicle with their unique skills. That said, if kept to hulking construct VS hulking construct there wasn't anything game breaking about it. As Zero said though, if you try to mix different scales like character PCs Vs Kaiju or PC Kaiju Vs Extras, things break quickly. I've run the excellent Savage Battletech hack and can say the same is true for piloted Mecha vehicles Vs characters and the rules in it actually warn against mixing such differing scales. If you really need to mix characters with Kaiju, you'll really need to abstract it somewhat to restore some balance, such as using some variation on the Mass Combat rules.

Comment

Another option is to go 'Troupe style'. Everyone gets a Kaiju or Pacific Rim-style Mech, and they also get a regular character. They can play one or the other in any given scene, according to what makes sense--usually, everyone playing either their regular characters, or whipping out their King Kong, but sometimes you might have a mixed group for specific situations.

Comment

Originally posted by Freemage View Post
              Another option is to go 'Troupe style'. Everyone gets a Kaiju or Pacific Rim-style Mech, and they also get a regular character. They can play one or the other in any given scene, according to what makes sense--usually, everyone playing either their regular characters, or whipping out their King Kong, but sometimes you might have a mixed group for specific situations.
              Agreed, if the Mecha are heavy enough to equal the Kaiju, that approach will definitely work.

Comment

Sorry I'm about a month late in responding everyone, life happened. My plan is to run a game using the Godzilla universe where the players are characters such as Godzilla, Rodan and so on. Thank you for your help and sorry for the delayed response.

Comment

If the characters are all Kaiju then presumably they just ignore most humans (except the occasional tank) and just fight other Kaiju. In this case I think a Supers campaign may be your best bet. You don't even need to set the power level that high just cut the power of any humans they come across. Then you use trappings to set the creature's looks and attacks and go tromping on all the cities you find.
                  I have way too much time but do not always edit myself properly. Please do not take offense.

Comment

Thank you for the feedback everyone! Just ordered a copy of the "Super Powers" companion which completes my Savage Worlds companion collection.

Comment

Kaiju is an interesting campaign type. Not sure what you'd do for a full campaign, but you can certainly have fun with it.

Personally, I'd start by giving everyone the Size +10 and Gargantuan monstrous abilities; this makes them pretty tough (+10 Toughness), impervious to normal weapons (Heavy Armor), and able to kill tanks or buildings (Heavy Weapon). I'd also give them +6 steps of Strength, making them very strong but not as strong as they are big, and call this their base Race.
                      Then, I'd use the Super Powers Companion so they can have special abilities - flight, breath attacks, regeneration, teleportation, diseases, and many more - in a basically balanced way.

Good luck!
                      I hope you find the above post useful. And not insulting, because I was trying to be helpful, not insulting; being a pedantic jerk, that isn't always clear.

Comment

I am getting back in the groove of writing. Anyone care if I posted my Notes on a kaiju setting?

Comment

• Gojira54
                          Gojira54 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          You have my interest, post away!
                      Working...
                      X