• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A pair of called shot edges

What do you think about the following edges:

Bullseye

Requirements: Seasoned, Fighting, Shooting, or Throwing d10+

Choose Fighting, Shooting, or Throwing: when you make attacks with this skill, you halve called shot penalties (rounded down). This Edge can be taken multiple times, choosing a different skill each time.

Skullcracker

Requirements: Novice, Strength d8+, Fighting d6+

If you Shake an opponent with a Called Shot to the Head using a bludgeoning weapon, then they are also Stunned.

I know that Zadmar has a Favoured Foe edge which halves called shot penalties against a specific favoured enemy (such as humans, elves, goblinoids, etc.) in addition to other benefits, but I'm not sure how much it's worth on its own. I should mention that I am using Zadmar's Stance rules (essentially Wild Attack gives either a bonus to attack or damage, but not both) to avoid problems with making a Wild Attack Called Shot to the head for +6 Damage at no penalty.

As for the second edge, it uses the Stunned condition from Flash Gordon:

"A [stunned character] falls prone and can’t take any actions or move. Attacks against him get the Drop. At the start of each of his turns thereafter, he automatically makes a Vigor roll as a free action to revive. Success means he revives but is Shaken, a raise means he revives and is not Shaken.''

This is of course a powerful condition, but it requires a Called Shot to the head, which can be difficult to execute against a high-parry opponent.
    Last edited by Shoggoth; 02-14-2018, 12:36 AM.

First one feels really powerful: For one advance I get a permanent +2 to all head shots with my preferred attack type. For two advances almost all my attacks get that +2. (I honestly only have ever had one character with throwing and he was a grenade/Molotov fanatic.) So for one or two advances my head (vitals) attack becomes -2 for +4 damage.

Add in Skullcracker and even if I don't get any wounds the target is still going to be much easier to hit with the next attack. (I am not familiar with the "Stun" condition, though I have heard of the Distracted and Vulnerable.)
    I have way too much time but do not always edit myself properly. Please do not take offense.

Comment

• ValhallaGH
      ValhallaGH commented
      Editing a comment
      Stunned is the evolved taser ability in the SFC - get hit, roll Vigor or be Prone and unable to take actions or move, attacks against you have The Drop. Get a new Vigor roll at the start of each turn.

• Shoggoth
      Shoggoth commented
      Editing a comment
      Erolat You're right that the called shot bonus seems powerful, but my thinking is that you could always take Trademark weapon or Improved Trademark Weapon to get +1 to all your Fighting or Shooting rolls (not just called shots). I could make this require Trademark Weapon, and only apply to the weapon of choice to make it more balanced. Alternatively (or in Addition?) I could raise the Rank requirements to Veteran or Heroic. Also I should have mentioned that I am using Zadmar's Stance rules (essentially Wild Attack gives either a bonus to attack or damage, but not both) to avoid problems with making a Wild Attack Called Shot to the head for +6 Damage at no penalty.
      Last edited by Shoggoth; 02-14-2018, 12:35 AM.

• Deskepticon
      Deskepticon commented
      Editing a comment
      Shoggoth Don't forget, Trademark Weapon ties the Edge to a specific weapon that can be lost, stolen or broken, so it's not like it's unconditional. Also, +1 to Fighting is a decent bonus... so eliminating a penalty by 1 is the same bonus just coming from the other direction.

Bullseye: Halving the penalties is a bit much. Reducing it by 1 is better. This would put it on par with Trademark Weapon. Also, I think you probably need to add another requirement, like Agility d8. Offer an Improved version at Heroic for 2 points off.

Skullcracker: If Stunned is automatic this might be a fair Edge. If Stunned still requires the Vigor roll, maybe drop the Strength requirement. However, my experience with the condition is minimal, so my assessment may be way off. It might be that your Edge as written should still call for the Vigor roll.

Comment

• Zadmar
      Zadmar commented
      Editing a comment
      My issue with disarm isn't a game balance thing, but rather a tactical thing. A "disarm" in SW is just an attack to the arm, and if you could do it without penalty it's unlikely you'd ever bother attacking your foe's torso. Attempting to disarm every single round would get a bit silly though, and it would be annoying to track (an extra roll each time you hit, and you'd have to make a note of which characters had been disarmed).

Called shots are not usually worth using, they're very much a specialized maneuver, so I tend to view the penalty as situational.

• Deskepticon
      Deskepticon commented
      Editing a comment
      That's a fair observation.

• Shoggoth
      Shoggoth commented
      Editing a comment
      Zadmar Good explanation! That was my thinking as well.

Personally, I'd say Bullseye (as written) could NOT be used with Wild Attack. Think of it as a precise strike rather than a desperation move. That would prevent some of the stacking issues.

Comment

• Deskepticon
      Deskepticon commented
      Editing a comment
      I would agree if using RAW Wild Attack, but Shoggoth is using the house-ruled version, which really pulls the fangs from the ability. I think that went into some of the consideration for these Edges.

I tested out Bullseye in Zadmar's combat simulator and here are the results:

headshot (-4 attack, +4 damage) is worth at best 0.25 Edges, and on average -1 Edge.

Bullseye + headshot (-2 attack, +4 damage) is worth at best 1 Edge, and on average 0.25 Edges.

Bullseye + headshot + offensive stance (+0 Fighting, +4 damage, -2 Parry) is worth at best 1.75 Edges, and on average 0.75 Edges.

offensive stance (+2 fighting, -2 parry) is worth at best 0.75 Edges, and on average 0 Edges

Note that offensive stance is Zadmar's patched version of wild attack his simulator shows wild attack is OP) that gives +2 Fighting, -2 Parry.

This shows that in fact halving called shot penalties on Fighting rolls as an Edge is actually perfectly balanced, even when taken together with offensive stance (-2 parry, +2 Fighting). However, I'm not entirely sure how balanced the ranged version of this edge would be, because the target number is lower (4) and you have stuff like shotguns, aim (or marksman), double tap, and 3 round burst to take into account.

Freemage I agree that in the presence of RAW Wild Attack this edge would be OP, mostly because Wild Attack is already OP. If you are using RAW Wild Attack I would suggest preventing its use with this edge in a fantasy setting. However, in a modern setting I would say go for it, because melee combat is underpowered in this case (as it is in reality) and ranged attackers can use 3 round burst rifles or shotguns for +2 attack and damage with no drawbacks.
    Last edited by Shoggoth; 02-15-2018, 01:19 AM.

Comment

Working...
    X