Savage Falkenstein

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Savage Falkenstein

Making the mistake of asking what setting my players want to use for my Savage Worlds campaign, the answer was Castle Falkenstein.

I'm looking to use the Falkenstein World and history, but Savage Worlds for the game system

Whilst Savage Worlds has a number of steam punk / Victorian era settings to draw upon are there any in particular that are similar enough to Castle Falkensteins setting that I could use?

In particular, any suggestions for setting specific skills, hindrances and edges?

Thanks in advance.

Welcome to the forums!

Steamscapes will generally have what you need, though their Europe book won't be coming out for a while yet.

The magically-powered contraptions of CF will probably be best represented as an Arcane Background, similar to Weird Science from Deadlands Reloaded. The Smith&Robard's Catalog might be useful as well.

As for building the setting, you might just want to rip a page out of Bavarian history, if you don't have the original source material.

Comment

Deskepticon -thanks for that. I'll check Steamscapes out. I have the original Falkenstein material for background etc.

Comment

I've been running my Savage Falkenstein campaign for over a year now and am busy updating various bits and pieces.

One conversion I'm struggling with is for the Vernes Cannon. It's a gigantic gun, with a bore of 9 feet and fires projectiles weighing 500 tons, which it can fire into orbit if required.

Any ideas on what the damage would be on such a beast.....?

Comment

Is there anything (buildings, tanks, mechas) in the setting that can hope to survive this type of ordnance?
          If not, then I'd just treat the cannon as a plot device... I mean 500t at escape velocity would probably destroy the Great Pyramids of Gizeh!
          Please refrain from tweeting my posts or posting them on facebook. I dislike those services and would rather keep my contributions contained in this special interest forum. Thanks.

Comment

• Deskepticon
            Deskepticon commented
            Editing a comment
            And turn half of Cairo into a crater.

• ValhallaGH
            ValhallaGH commented
            Editing a comment
            Yeah, 500 tons of dense projectile traveling at 7 miles per second is going to impact with about 7 kilotons of TNT detonation equivalent. That's nuclear bomb energy from a kinetic impact.
            Anything actually hit by that is vaporized, the impact crater will be visible for miles, the debris ejected will stay in the atmosphere for days, and the surrounding region will suffer a noticeable earthquake.

Perhaps Rippers and the SW Space:1889 settings might also have some useful bits?

Comment

I've toyed with a modern day Savage Falkenstein game, think it could be fum but need to sort a timeline. Possibly borrow from GURPS Technomancer setting

Comment

Originally posted by macamboy View Post
              I've been running my Savage Falkenstein campaign for over a year now and am busy updating various bits and pieces.

One conversion I'm struggling with is for the Vernes Cannon. It's a gigantic gun, with a bore of 9 feet and fires projectiles weighing 500 tons, which it can fire into orbit if required.

Any ideas on what the damage would be on such a beast.....?
              The railguns/mass drivers from the Scifi Companion come to mind, but even those are popguns compared to what you just described. The largest starships (world-killer class) would have mass drivers of rating 20, dealing 20d12 HW damage and firing projectiles weighing 200 pounds.

The Vernes Cannon is an impossibility, in many ways. First, the amount of force needed to just move 500T is enough to blow the cannon to pieces... nevermind having enough force to send that much mass into orbit. Escape velocity is sustained velocity, such as continuous thrust. The velocity needed for an unpowered object (like a ginormous cannonball) to escape the gravity well is much, MUCH higher. So high that the friction from air molecules alone would cause metal to vaporize. And let's not even get into a discussion on equal-but-opposite reactions. The Vernes Cannon would fire once and the crew would spent the next 5 years hauling it up from 300 feet below the surface of the planet.

In short, either "lowball" its damage to the biggest mass drivers in Savage Worlds (20d12 HW), or treat the cannon as a plot device... because there is nothing that we can reasonably compare it to.
              Last edited by Deskepticon; 04-19-2019, 08:53 AM.

Comment

Whilst it's not Falkensetein canon, the Verne cannon could be magically enhanced (enormously!)
                I did like the idea of harmonics in the Falkenstein magic system, might be nice to have some sort of card draw to give the harmonic effect

Comment

Thanks for the responses. I think I'll have to treat it as a plot device. Lets face it anyone hit by one of the projectiles is just going to get mashed, big style.
                  It was just one of those things on my to do list, that was getting a little frustrating !

Comment

Working...
                  X