Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Savage Borderlands

Hello,

I had a topic on the old forums a while ago, but it seems to have disappeared on the new ones.
    I just wanted to notify everyone that was interested in Savage Borderlands (my adaptation of the Borderlands videogames to SWD) that the new version was up, and also that I wrote an addon to help GMs and players easily generate and manage weapons.
    I hope you'll enjoy it, and feel free to send me feedback or criticism here or by email.
    Thanks!

Savage Borderlands is here: https://arfe.net/savage-borderlands/
    Savage Borderlands, the Savage Worlds adapatation of the Borderlands videogames.

The old forums are still archived. You can find a link at the top of the Home of this forum, in a yellow highlighted message box.
    I hope you find the above post useful. And not insulting, because I was trying to be helpful, not insulting; being a pedantic jerk, that isn't always clear.

Comment

This is really well done!
      I like how you included rules for different "Game Modes". Pretty clever. And you have a very neat way of handling Shields. Great job!

Comment

I absolutely loved your Savage Borderlands adaptation, Brice, and my friends have been begging me to run a campaign of it! In preparation, I've created my own page, with minor rules tweaks (to fit our group) and a PHP app that automates the gear generation tables, so I can do it all with one click without slowing down the game.

http://mygurps.com/pmwiki.php?n=Main.SavageBorderlands

Thanks for creating such a great fanbook!

Comment

I find the idea interesting, but execution wise kind of a mess. The sheer number of options can easily bury the game under its own weight.

Comment

Originally posted by Jounichi View Post
            I find the idea interesting, but execution wise kind of a mess. The sheer number of options can easily bury the game under its own weight.
            What do you mean?
            Savage Borderlands, the Savage Worlds adapatation of the Borderlands videogames.

Comment

• pkitty
              pkitty commented
              Editing a comment
              For what it's worth, the gear generation stuff was my favorite part of the book. Admittedly, my first action was to write an app that automated the process, so I can do it with one click instead of 3-4 rolls. But I can't say that addition was needed, just wanted -- I mean, 3-4 rolls really isn't even that much and you're only doing it when the PCs specifically spend LP to acquire a weapon.

• Jounichi
              Jounichi commented
              Editing a comment
              It took me 5 rolls to generate a Vladof Pooshka with a critical damage bonus. The problem here is two-fold. First, I have no idea what a critical damage bonus is because it's not clearly defined. I assume it's +1d8, but when I'm dealing a base 2d10 that's a pittance. And second, I have no idea what "shooting mode" is because it's a game mechanic described well after most players will have stopped reading. If that's supposed to be a fancy term for simply aiming down sights, then why not refer to it as the Aim maneuver?

But perhaps the most important point is why bother with colors in the first place? That's a holdover from MMORPGs like World of Warcraft. And that's a holdover from earlier editions of Dungeons and Dragons and it's assumptions on X magic items per character level. Savage Worlds, on its face, makes no such assumptions. A wolf (or skagg, if we're sticking to Borderlands fiction) can still kill a 200+ experience player character. Savage Worlds can be pretty lethal when it wants to be, and sometimes without even trying. In Borderlands, death is meant to be trivial except when the plot demands it (Roland, for example). This needs to sell its would-be players on what is essentially a rejection of core design philosophy.

• Helmut Moute
              Helmut Moute commented
              Editing a comment
              I understand. Some of the Edges could be done using other Savage Worlds companions, but I wanted to have everything in one book, so I did them my way, so they can be used directly without having to say "this is like this edge from that book, only with a +2 bonus", and so on. If you're used to play using the rules from the companions, some of them (but not all of them IMO) can seem useless.

As for the guns, I disagree because to me the guns generation system is inseparable from the Borderlands experience, I want 87 bazillion guns in my game!
              That said, I could have made it simpler, and the initial system I did was, but in the end I was not satisfied with it, i prefer the granularity of this one. And this is true, the generation process can slow down the game, this is why I made an addon to the game that allows a much quicker generation, using the same system. But my players like to roll their weapons anyway, it's also part of the game. Still, I will probably keep tweaking the system in the future, because I agree with you about the color / rank system. I thought it would be a good way to guesstimate the power of a weapon, but even more than in the videogame it appears to not be the case.

For the shields, pkitty talked to me about a way to make them better, that I might use in a future version of the game. As they are now, they end up being underused at low/medium level (they give a toughness bonus the first time the player is hit, and then don't affect the fight until it's over).

But as I said before, all the subsystems are optional, you can play the game without the loot rules, without the guns generation, etc. I think you should keep the Edges, but it's only me

Anyway, thanks for the feedback!

Please remove my name from the credits. For legal reasons, I don't want to be associated with this project.

Comment

As a huge fan of both Savage Worlds and the Borderlands series, I admire the amount of work that went into this project and the level of graphic quality on the material, but I have a feeling you might be too hung up on playing the actual Borderlands video game as a tabletop RPG rather than playing Savage Worlds in the Borderlands setting. Rather than trying to emulate the Borderlands actual video game mechanics in Savage Worlds, you should probably try using already existing Savage Worlds mechanics to emulate the feeling of the Borderlands setting, focusing only on what's actually important. You should keep things fast and simple. Although you came up with some really interesting ideas, I feel the project as it stands right now might be too much Borderlands and not enough Savage Worlds.
            "Did I fire six shots, or only five? Three? Seven. Whatever." - Unkempt Harold

Comment

• Helmut Moute
              Helmut Moute commented
              Editing a comment
              Hello Augusto, thanks for your feedback.

I tried to focus on what's important to me: Vault Hunters, hundreds of gun variations with a feeling linked to their manufacturers, an overall over-the-top feeling. The rest doesn't need any special rule (this is just a rulebook, there is voluntarily no background in it).

I think if you want to keep things to the simplest, you can just use the Edges and the base weapons, and only add special effects to them when you feel a gun should be special.

I think the only issue here is one of expectations and focus. Some people here want this to be "A Savage Worlds game that happens to take place in the Borderlands setting." But I think the reason I like it so much is that it's instead "A Borderlands RPG which happens to use the Savage Worlds rule set." The focus here is on recreating the feel of the game itself, not just the planets on which it takes place, and that's exactly what our group was looking for.

Comment

I was re-reading some of this just prior to my Wednesday night game. I "accidentally" mentioned that it existed and now several players are ready to give it a try. Once we are into it a bit I can give a report on everyone's impressions.
              I have way too much time but do not always edit myself properly. Please do not take offense.

Comment

I'd like to get group opinions on something.

One of our players took Beast Master to start with a brat bullymong. Easy enough, sure. But he's asking whether his bullymong can wear a shield. And I'm honestly not sure what the answer should be. If it were DAW or similar gear, that'd be an upgrade edge, obviously. But it's not; this "pet" is a normal, living extra. Obviously a human extra could wear one, but is that because shields only work for humans? Or could humans strap a shield onto any reasonable-sized animal?

I tried asking myself, "What if this were a fantasy game? Could your pet wear armor?" . . . but the answer there is still "maybe" -- after all, horses have barding and in some cases even hunting dogs were lightly armored, but I can't picture someone armoring a hunting hawk or wolf. And depending on how one envisions shields working, there might be no crafting involved, with anyone who can carry 2 lbs. of encumbrance able to strap one on. (Or maybe shields have to be custom-fitted to the species type; it's not like Borderlands ever went into this.)

I'm really not sure whether to disallow it, allow it, or allow it but nerf it in some way (white only? half effect? costs extra Loot Points?)...
                Last edited by pkitty; 03-20-2018, 08:36 PM.

Comment

Clap-Tr4p can wear a shield, so why can't a particular bullymong?
                  Midge-Mong is proof that bullymong can wear armor - they normally don't but they can.
                  I would charge him Loot points to get it, since he's upgrading his "follower", but I would treat it like buying gear for any other follower.
                  I hope you find the above post useful. And not insulting, because I was trying to be helpful, not insulting; being a pedantic jerk, that isn't always clear.

Comment

Right now, I'm contemplating the following:

Any animal companion can have a shield, but it must be custom-made. In other words, when you spend the Loot Points, it must be during downtime, you have to specify that it's for your animal companion, and you have to pay a bit more for the custom work. For an animal of Size 0 or smaller, it costs 1 Loot Point for a White (non-random) shield, or 2 Loot Points for a non-White (random) one. For larger animals, add Size to this cost. My house rule still applies that you can spend a Benny to "reroll" the shield, with the usual caveats.

Comment

Working...
                    X