New Edge for use with the High Adventure Setting Rule

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Edge for use with the High Adventure Setting Rule

This edge is intended to be used with the High Adventure Setting Rule: Heroes (and villains!) can spend a Benny to gain the one-time use of a Combat Edge.

Man-at-Arms (or could be called Mercenary, Gladiator, Grizzled Veteran etc.)
    Requirements: Seasoned, Fighting d8+, Smarts d8+
    This hero is a veteran of countless campaigns and has forgotten more than the average soldier will ever know. When spending a Benny to gain a Combat Edge, the Edge is kept for the duration of the current scene.

My gut feeling is that this Edge is too weak. I could spice it up by giving two edges for a Benny, but that might be a bit strong in combination with the extended duration (though I could bump the requirement up to Veteran rank to compensate, which seems thematically appropriate).
    Last edited by Shoggoth; 01-14-2018, 10:12 PM.

Looks like a great benefit.
    Not sure about the requirements; I feel like Smarts is the wrong attribute for this. But I'm too hungry and too coffee deprived to give good alternatives and reasons.
    I hope you find the above post useful. And not insulting, because I was trying to be helpful, not insulting; being a pedantic jerk, that isn't always clear.

Comment

• Shoggoth
      Shoggoth commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the feedback! Glad it doesn't seem OP or weak. I could remove the Smarts attribute requirement and bump it up to Veteran tier? Or do you think it's still fine as a Seasoned edge with just Fighting d8+?

I might actually bump the requirements up to Veteran, Smarts d6+, Fighting d8+. The extended duration (the entire scene/combat) is a pretty extensive benefit, especially for Edges like First Strike and Counterattack that are especially more beneficial the more opportunities they have to shine. In combination with that and using this to upgrade a character's existing Edge into its own Improved version, on the fly, for as long as the combat lasts, you can end up with characters that have some very impressive benefits they haven't had to pay for (other than this Edge, of course).

If keeping this Seasoned, I might change the requirements to Agility d8+, Smarts d6+, Fighting d8+. Most career combatants are probably going to have a d8 Agility anyways, but since High Adventure allows ignoring non-Rank and non-Edge requirements this at least makes it so that they meet the requirements of most of the book's Combat Edges while they retain their flexibility.
    Join the Unofficial Savage Worlds Discord!

My thoughts, musings, and general character adaptations on Savage Everything.

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorBoson View Post
      you can end up with characters that have some very impressive benefits they haven't had to pay for (other than this Edge, of course).
      And spending a Benny, per the setting rule. And meeting the Rank and Edge requirements of the Edge you want. And remembering the Edge exists during the scene in which it would be useful.
      You raise a good point, but there are more costs than you indicated.

I would set the Attribute requirements to match the archetypal adventurer that would have this edge in my setting.
      For a Grizzled Survivor archetype, Vigor d8+ is probably the right choice - indicating a character that has survived enough crazy stuff to have seen these moves in action (possibly on himself). For a Smarter Warrior archetype, Smarts d8+ makes sense - a combatant that has analyzed the field and determined the correct tactics for the rest of the battle. For a Zen Enlightenment archetype, Spirit d8+ is a good choice - showcasing a warrior that is at-one with the flow of combat. For a Speed And Talent archetype, Agility d8+ can work - reinforcing the trope that being fast and talented is the most importantest thing for a fighter (I have a strong bias against this choice, and would reject it for any game I run, but it may work well for others). Then you've got the Muscle Memory warrior, with Strength d8+ mighty thews - so strong that he can break reality for an extended period to excel at combat (I'm really stretching for this one).

The Attribute requirements of an edge say a lot about who is supposed to be using it, and who has zero chance of using it.
      Playing a mentally deficient character? Then give up on any edge with Smarts d8+ as a requirement - you'll be lucky if you can ever take Smarts d6+ edges.
      Playing a weak but precise fighter? All of the Strength d8+ edges are beyond you, and maybe the Strength d6+ edges as well.
      Playing a clumsy warrior, that's trained far beyond her talent? Your Fighting d12 will serve you well, but those Agility d8+ edges are in basically the same category as the power edges - you'll never actually meet the requirements, because you've got other stuff to pick up.
      So, think about who should be using the new Combat edge, and who should never be using it, when you set the Attribute requirements.

Also of note, higher rank edges generally have lower Attribute requirements. If Combat Reflexes were a Novice edge then it would probably require Spirit d6+, but as a Seasoned edge it can remove the Attribute requirements entirely.
      I hope you find the above post useful. And not insulting, because I was trying to be helpful, not insulting; being a pedantic jerk, that isn't always clear.

Comment

• Shoggoth
        Shoggoth commented
        Editing a comment
        Great analysis! I see it as an edge that any experienced warrior that has to deal with a variety of different weapons and combat scenarios should be able to take: gladiators (probably the best fit), mercenaries, and professional soldiers. I might actually just remove the Smarts requirement and just keep Fighting d8+ (maybe bump up to Veteran since that would be thematically appropriate, unless it's weak compared to other Veteran edges).

• ValhallaGH
        ValhallaGH commented
        Editing a comment
        This is an Edge that gets better with Rank. At Novice, you can use it to get Novice edges, like Extraction, First Strike, or Sweep. At Seasoned you can get Frenzy, Improvisational Fighter, and No Mercy. By Veteran you have access to pretty much every Combat edge.

This Edge is either fine at any rank, or busted at every rank.
        Last edited by ValhallaGH; 01-16-2018, 12:55 AM.

• Shoggoth
        Shoggoth commented
        Editing a comment
        Good point: you're right that it gets better with rank. I think you're right that Novice is fine, but it seems thematically inappropriate as a Novice edge (since it's intended to represent an experienced and adaptable warrior who's seen it all). I'll have a think about it.

Rather than Smarts and Agility d6, what would you think about requiring all attributes at d6 to represent a well-rounded warrior (or maybe even d8 if this edge is too strong as written)?
        Last edited by Shoggoth; 01-16-2018, 01:07 AM.

Make it a Background edge. Those already represent lots of prior experience, and explicitly require GM approval to pick up after the campaign starts.

Comment

• Shoggoth
        Shoggoth commented
        Editing a comment
        Good point could do that instead.

It's a really good Edge, I'd definitely leave the Smarts requirement.

I've used a thematically similar Edge called Dynamic Warrior in the past, and I gave that a requirement of Smarts d10.
      My blog: Savage Stuff. I've also written some free tools and supplements.

Comment

• Shoggoth
        Shoggoth commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for the feedback! Love your Savage Worlds homebrew stuff by the way.
    Working...
    X