Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miniature Sizes

Hi,

I did not want to ask this in the Official Forums since it is really not something that stops the game.

So the question ...

on what sized miniatures are SWADE distances and sizes based on?

The reason I ask is because the figure flats do not seem to be the same as the standard miniatures that you buy from the game store (25-28mm equals 6 feet).

Thanks in advance,
    D
    Designer, Developer, Educator.

what sized miniatures are SWADE distances and sizes based on?
    Yes. More specifically, SWADE is hardcoded to 1 inch=2 yards, or a 1:72 ground scale. Use whatever size bases and minis work with that for you. If you want to use 25mm/1 inch bases for size 0 and 1 creatures, 32mm for 2 and 40mm for 3 so you have a quick visual reference, go for it. This gives you 50mm/2 inch bases and larger for the next scale. Use the bases and minis you want, including cavalry/pill bases and the newer oval bases as you please.

Also note that traditional games have a nominal measure of X mm:1600 mm. 1600 (or 1610) mm is a nominal average eye-height for a human man and the X mm scale designation is supposed to be the eye-height of the average sized dude in the range. Not that anyone actually follows this anymore, which is why we now have minis with nominal scales above 25mm and 32mm bases on one company's entire (or close to it) game miniature line.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I am just trying to get a handle on Size and if I should be making my own minis (tokens rather) or using off the shelf made for D&D/Pathfinder things.

I have been running SWADE virtually for the last 3 years on Fantasy Grounds and the Size in that application seems a little off to me for some reason and I think it is because they assume grid based sizing like D&D etc.

D

Comment

As paladin notes, the scale of Savage Worlds is 1:72. Any miniature that has approximately the same scaling should work fairly well on your tabletop. If you consistently base Normal scale minis on 25mm bases then they'll work as intended in combat.

Grid-related sizing does exist in Savage Worlds, but it is almost exclusively a function of Scale. Normal scale creatures generally* fit into one square, Large fit into four squares, Huge into nine, and Gargantuan into sixteen. The specific Size of a creature can adjust their space on the table, but that's supposed to be handled as needed by the GM.

*Horses are Normal scale, at Size 2 or 3. Despite this, they are depicted on two squares to emphasize their long shape. Ogres and Minotaurs are the same Size and Scale but generally fit into a single square. The shape of a creature matters, not just the Scale and Size.
        I hope you find the above post useful. And not insulting, because I was trying to be helpful, not insulting; being a pedantic jerk, that isn't always clear.

Comment

Great explanation ValhallaGM!

I like SWADE's system a lot more than grid-based systems. It gives a lot more dynamism to combat that I just don't see very often in grid-based combat.

I am gearing up to run a game face to face and want to make it as straight forward for players to plonk their miniatures down and move them about having FFF instead of counting squares and worrying about reach and so forth.

D

Comment

Working...
          X