Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Savage Eternia (Masters of the Universe)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Savage Eternia (Masters of the Universe)

Hello Savages!

I just started up a new blog focusing on Savage Worlds, and begun with my conversion for Savage Eternia (He-Man and the Masters of the Universe).

I have 2 races up so far (Avionians and Andreenids) with more to come!

Check it out!
    https://savagenexus412318532.wordpress.com/

The first character profile, Ram Man is now up!

Comment

Welcome to the forum!
      Love the idea! He-man was favorite of mine growing up, and the toys were indeed marvelous!

As for the two races:
      (and please note that these observations and critiques are meant as constructively as possible. My desire is to start a conversation, not to dictate what the races should be like.)

For the Andreenids, I would only change one thing. Add a qualifier to Compound Eyes so the bonus only applies to vision-based Notice rolls. Since this drops the overall racial ability modifier by 1, balance it off by removing Outsider... Even though it's been about 30 years since I've seen an episode of He-man, I recall the relationship between the Eternians and the Andreenids to be amicable.

The build for the Avionians might need some more in-depth revision. For starters, having Additional Action for prehensile feet is odd. Without any written restrictions or limitations, it means an avionian could draw a sword from their back and/or attack with it without impeding any other action made that round. Even if a qualifier of "must be in flight" were added to the ability, the physicality of the action is still at odds with the spirit of what I think you were going for. Having prehensile feet is really just descriptive, and it doesn't have a clear mechanical analog. It might be best to just give it an honorable mention, and if a player does something cool and unique, like swooping in and disarming an opponent with their feet, that's worth a Benny for creativity.
      Keen Senses should also be for vision-based Notice rolls only, unless you add in an extra note about superb hearing (which eagles, hawks, and other IRL raptors also have).
      This would lower the race's point value by between 3 and 4 points (3 for removing Additional Action, and possibly another 1 depending on how you handle Keen Senses). This deficiency can be mitigated by removing/altering Xenophobic and also removing Egg of Avion as a racial ability (which you have valued at -2). The Egg of Avion getting stolen is an excellent plot device, but unless that happens often enough*, it is not a good balancing factor.

* "often enough" is a rather subjective term, but negative abilities should come up at least once every 3 or 4 sessions. If the GM is particularly clever, they might be able to find ways of pulling this off (Skeletor/Evillyn casts a magic spell on you, the connection is weak underground, etc.), but at some point this will become hamfisted and forced, and probably then just ignored. Might be best to just nip it in the bud. Leave it a narrative plot device of occasional inconvenience to combat the narrative plot device of having prehensile feet.

Cheers.

Comment

Originally posted by SavageNexus View Post
        The first character profile, Ram Man is now up!
        Hi again.

Okay, I'm going to assume you built this using the standard character generator, possibly for use as a pregen. The format is confusing, but I was able to make sense of it. I would have preferred to see all Edges under one heading with descriptions of how they were acquired instead, and Hindrances noted separately with indication of whether they are Major or Minor. Also, Power Point totals would have been a plus.

Okay, so you are using the SPC2 Super Powers Edge... and it looks like Street Fighter level (with no Super Karma).
        That means that one of the character's Edges needs to be used for AB (Super Powers)... let's make it easy and say it's the free Edge he gets for being human.

Now, statting up the attributes (5 starting points, plus super powers) we are two points shy, which means that all bonus points gained from Hindrances need to be used. Here's the problem... you also have two Edges that aren't being accounted for by Super Edge. Since the bonus points are going towards attributes, you can't have the Edges (or vice-versa, if you prefer). Arguably the easier fix is the latter. You can safely drop Strength to d10 and still pay for all your skills.
        Alternatively, take on some Super Karma and buy two more levels of Super Attribute, with 1 PP left over for Super Skill (Fighting)... because d6 is pretty weak for this guy.

The Powers themselves look fine. I'm going off memory at the moment, but it appears they total to exactly 30.

All-in-all, looks good!
        I'm eager to see what else comes from this project.

Comment

• ValhallaGH
          ValhallaGH commented
          Editing a comment
          Unless noted otherwise, a campaign using the SPC2 gives all character the Arcane Background for free (see the edge on page 7).

Hi, and welcome! This is a neat project.

First, I'd suggest taking a look at the PEG style information, especially the style template (Word doc), so that your creations better match the usual formats and styles of Savage Worlds. This will make it easier for Savages to look at your stuff and easier for anyone you introduce with this to transition to the rest of Savage Worlds.

Second, way to be ahead of things, hosting this off the forum.

Third, feedback.
        Races - what is your balance point? The standard is +2, but I missed what you were meaning to use if it was different.
        Avionians: They only balance if a) Keen Vision is actually for sight-based Notice and not all Notice, b) Egg of Avion is an actual Hindrance and not a plot device, c) Egg of Avion is valued at -2 for some reason. Currently, they're a +4 race (+3 Actions, +2 Flight, +2 Notice, -1 Egg, -1 Frail, -1 Xeno).
        Andreenids: These dudes are +3 (+2 Notice, +1 Armor, +2 Flight, -1 Outsider, -1 Stubborn), making them stronger than the assumed baseline and weaker than the avionians.

Ram-Man:
        Attributes are good (5 base +1 hindrances). Skills are good (15 points), though I'd advise the player to drop something to pick up a rank of Stealth - Fighting, Notice, and Stealth are my newbie must-haves.
        I'm guessing the * next to Clueless is to indicate that it's his Major hindrance, but it is always best practice with the variable Hindrances (Greedy, Habit, Phobia, Vow, etc.) to note what severity they are. But with my guess, that works out to one Major and two Minor, for full Hindrances.
        Two Edges, and an Attribute increase, for a human is a full ability set, and you included the free Arcane Background, though you could have cleaned that up a bit.
        Derived Traits look good. It took me a bit to figure out where the Pace 16 came from (Leaping), but I got there.
        Your gear notation is either really useful or really confusing, depending upon a given player's experiences. But I do see what you're going for. You should note the Ram attack is a HW, and that his Armor has HA.
        He's got 29 Power Points of powers, which is a strange number no matter the power level, though it looks like he's supposed to be Street Fighter. That left-over point could be used to give him one rank of Speed, so he "runs fast", letting him close reliably. Personally, I'd put a Partial Protection flaw on that armor, due to all the exposed body parts, but that's debatable because "magic".

Nice work, and good luck with this project!
        I hope you find the above post useful. And not insulting, because I was trying to be helpful, not insulting; being a pedantic jerk, that isn't always clear.

Comment

Originally posted by ValhallaGH
          Unless noted otherwise, a campaign using the SPC2 gives all character the Arcane Background for free (see the edge on page 7).
          Yep.
          But on the blog post it was mentioned that the ScienceFiction Companion was being used, and the sidebar on race creation in the SFC says the Edge needs to be purchased normally. Since the OP is also building races using the SFC, and not strictly the SPC, I assumed Ram Man was one of a few special cases.

Actually, looking back over the Ram Man build, I noticed I derped on the attributes. Only 1 attribute bump needs to be bought with Hindrance points... and that means if AB (Super Powers) was given "free", then there is no discrepancies. That may be what's going on. But then the Andreenids and Avionians should be built with the SPC as well.

The thing I missed that should have sent up a warning flare is: when using the SPC2 to build races for other settings, each PP counts as a racial ability point. My fault for not seeing that sooner... but it still means the OP is using two different character creation systems. If andreenids and avionians also get the free Super Powers Edge (and they should in this case), that would make for some wildly dissonant builds.

Comment

• ValhallaGH
            ValhallaGH commented
            Editing a comment
            The OP notes, "Creation rules to come in a future post, but it will utilize both the Supers Companion, the Sci Fi Companion, and the Fantasy Companion." Emphasis added.

Given the source material, there's no way to really avoid using the SPC. Not when your title character can throw mountains at people.

• Deskepticon
            Deskepticon commented
            Editing a comment
            Agreed. SPC is the way to go.
            In my defense, though, I began my reply before the blog was updated. Ram Man wasn't up yet, and I was under the impression everything was SFC. That tarnished the way I viewed the Ram Man build. I did make a couple mistakes, I'll admit. Miscalculating the attributes for one.

I also counted Xenophobic as -2 since it's essentially Outsider ×2. Right?
            I did mean to ask the OP is the races were balanced at +3, since that's how I treated them. I forgot.

Originally posted by ValhallaGH View Post
          Hi, and welcome! This is a neat project.

First, I'd suggest taking a look at the PEG style information, especially the style template (Word doc), so that your creations better match the usual formats and styles of Savage Worlds. This will make it easier for Savages to look at your stuff and easier for anyone you introduce with this to transition to the rest of Savage Worlds.

Second, way to be ahead of things, hosting this off the forum.

Third, feedback.
          Races - what is your balance point? The standard is +2, but I missed what you were meaning to use if it was different.
          Avionians: They only balance if a) Keen Vision is actually for sight-based Notice and not all Notice, b) Egg of Avion is an actual Hindrance and not a plot device, c) Egg of Avion is valued at -2 for some reason. Currently, they're a +4 race (+3 Actions, +2 Flight, +2 Notice, -1 Egg, -1 Frail, -1 Xeno).
          Andreenids: These dudes are +3 (+2 Notice, +1 Armor, +2 Flight, -1 Outsider, -1 Stubborn), making them stronger than the assumed baseline and weaker than the avionians.

Ram-Man:
          Attributes are good (5 base +1 hindrances). Skills are good (15 points), though I'd advise the player to drop something to pick up a rank of Stealth - Fighting, Notice, and Stealth are my newbie must-haves.
          I'm guessing the * next to Clueless is to indicate that it's his Major hindrance, but it is always best practice with the variable Hindrances (Greedy, Habit, Phobia, Vow, etc.) to note what severity they are. But with my guess, that works out to one Major and two Minor, for full Hindrances.
          Two Edges, and an Attribute increase, for a human is a full ability set, and you included the free Arcane Background, though you could have cleaned that up a bit.
          Derived Traits look good. It took me a bit to figure out where the Pace 16 came from (Leaping), but I got there.
          Your gear notation is either really useful or really confusing, depending upon a given player's experiences. But I do see what you're going for. You should note the Ram attack is a HW, and that his Armor has HA.
          He's got 29 Power Points of powers, which is a strange number no matter the power level, though it looks like he's supposed to be Street Fighter. That left-over point could be used to give him one rank of Speed, so he "runs fast", letting him close reliably. Personally, I'd put a Partial Protection flaw on that armor, due to all the exposed body parts, but that's debatable because "magic".

Nice work, and good luck with this project!
          Thanks. First, yeah, I used a generator for Ram Man, since it was easier just to take the HTML output and copy/paste it to the blog rather than trying to rewrite everything, but I will take that into account.

As far as the races go, they should be balanced at a +2, though I did kind of Derp, and the +2 Notice should be Vision based, which I have fixed, so is only valued at a +1. Xenophonic is valued at -2 since it is a -4 to Charisma as opposed to a -2 which would be what Outsider would provide. Xenophobic is just really a reskinned version of the Major Hindrance Racist from Interface Zero 2.0

Continuing on races, I am using what is on Page 3 of the Supers Companion, the second paragraph does state that you CAN use the SFC if the race is particularly common in the setting. All Masters characters will have the AB: Superpowers edge for free, as in the SPC, but, only humans would get a free edge, as opposed to say an Avionian.

Comment

You're welcome.
            Yeah, I figured the races were just races. That has a ton of precedent with super powers; Necessary Evil has two non-human races that can be played, and NE is where the SPC system comes from (with changes over time, obviously).
            Originally posted by SavageNexus View Post
            As far as the races go, they should be balanced at a +2, though I did kind of Derp, and the +2 Notice should be Vision based, which I have fixed, so is only valued at a +1. Xenophonic is valued at -2 since it is a -4 to Charisma as opposed to a -2 which would be what Outsider would provide. Xenophobic is just really a reskinned version of the Major Hindrance Racist from Interface Zero 2.0
            Gotcha, you were going for a Major Hindrance that imposes -4 Charisma. Something on the order of Bloodthirsty, but for being racist jerkbags. Sounds like a bunch of villains to me, though. Such an ability says really bad things about the species, since they all have it without exception.
            Rather than making them irredeemable bigots, I'd suggest something else.
            Aloof (-1): Raised in a culture dismissive of other races, avionians never come across well and have -2 Charisma when dealing with other races.
            Nobles Oblige (-2): Avionians are superior to other races, which means stooping to lift others up from the muck they live in. Avionians have great difficulty turning away from those in need. (This makes them Heroic jerk bags; they'll help most anyone, but do so because they're better than everyone else, and this is some of the proof.)
            Side benefit, this would bring them down to +2.

Also, you didn't address my concerns about the Egg of Avion. A racial "hindrance" that causes them to lose flight when [villain] takes control of the magic rock at the heart of their nation - that's a plot device, not something that makes the race more balanced. Sort of like making an American race, and giving a "racial hindrance" of "nuclear stockpile - Americans cannot use their nuclear arsenal if a supervillain takes control of the nuclear codes".
            Not the best analogy, but I hope it makes my point.
            I hope you find the above post useful. And not insulting, because I was trying to be helpful, not insulting; being a pedantic jerk, that isn't always clear.

Comment

Looking further into the Egg of Avion, it seems that if an Avionian is away from Avion for "a vast length of time" they loose the ability to fly as well. http://www.he-man.org/encyclopedia/v...3&objectid=158 Unfortunately, it doesn't specify how long that would be, so perhaps tweaking the Dependacy Negative Ability to a -1 rather than a -2, with maybe a longer time frame, say about every month or so may be apt. There's plenty of room to play around with right now.

Comment

Still working on tweaking the Avionians, but I have just uploaded The Caligars (Whiplash's race) https://savagenexus412318532.wordpre...rnia-caligars/

Comment

• SavageNexus
                  SavageNexus commented
                  Editing a comment
                  A Reach of 1 isn't really 12 feet, per say. Staves and Spears also have a Reach of 1, and are generally about 5 to 6 feet in length.

• ValhallaGH
                  ValhallaGH commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Reach +1 increases the attack range by 6 in-world feet. Combined with the base 6' range for a total 12 feet of reach. That's how the rules work.
                  Spears are generally six to nine feet long, and often used for thrusting attacks that allow a fighter to maximize that range. Tails are not thrusting weapons.

• SavageNexus
                  SavageNexus commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Reach +1 according to the SWDEX says "Weapons with reach allow their user to make Fighting attacks at the listed range A reach of 1" for example, allows a character to strike at a target of 1" distant." Which would be up to 6 feet away. But because square grids and minis etc things get a little tricky. But hey... lets go with Your Base 6' range. The Caligars are Size+1, which would be say up to 7 and a half feet tall. The artwork, and figures all portray them with a tail as long as their body is tall. http://www.he-man.org/assets/images/..._back_full.jpg https://i.pinimg.com/736x/3a/58/24/3...ba619188bc.jpg https://static.comicvine.com/uploads...plash+2002.jpg http://www.toyzmag.com/wp-content/up...e_universe.png 7 feet, plus your 6 feet base range... that's 13 feet my friend. More than enough to warrant a reach of +1.

Hello! I have gone ahead and redid the Avionians, and added a couple of other races as well!

Here are the links of the races so far:

Avionians- https://savagenexus412318532.wordpre...2018/01/08/29/
                Andreenids- https://savagenexus412318532.wordpre...ia-andreenids/
                Caligars- https://savagenexus412318532.wordpre...rnia-caligars/
                Speleans- https://savagenexus412318532.wordpre...rnia-speleans/
                Gars- https://savagenexus412318532.wordpre...ernia-the-gar/
                Edit- Trollans added- https://savagenexus412318532.wordpre...rnia-trollans/
                Last edited by SavageNexus; 02-01-2018, 09:24 AM.

Comment

Began on the first entry of the Savage Eternia Bestiary- The Shadow Beasts, which were part of the original series, and later further fleshed out!

https://savagenexus412318532.wordpre...shadow-beasts/

Comment

Working...
                  X