X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deskepticon
    replied
    Originally posted by JmOz01 View Post

Setting will be somewhere between Firefly and Star Trek in theme. The fanatics rule has actually become a special ability in my current version, dumb luck because I think it is fun...
    The rest taken under advisement
    Yea, I got a Firefly vibe too! It was the whole thing about the freighter having some type of an issue that gave it away. A concept, by the way, that I absolutely love! This idea that the ship itself can introduce plot hooks or perhaps generate complications is very appealing to me. It might be something worth expanding in subtle ways.

Having ship-specific Hindrances, with unique effects, can be interesting. Something like:
    Unreliable: This ship's engine tends to fail at the worse possible times. Whenever a Complication occurs during a Chase, the vessel is also Bumped two cards in the opponent's favor.

Why Magic instead of Focus: Wanted it smarts based instead of Spirit based. Might be easier though to just make the change to the Focus skill instead.
    You can just change the linked attribute for Gifted. You can also simply create your own Arcane Background. The thing about saying something like "AB (Magic) is retrapped as..." is that, in my mind, that means whenever "AB (Magic)" appears in the rules, it's meant to be changed. This indicates to me that the Wizard Edge is meant to be taken by Androids (which is why I mentioned it above).

If instead you say, "AB (Magic, Gifted) are not available, and AB (Enhancements) is a new Edge for Androids," then that inherently precludes both Extra Effort and Wizard.

I guess what I'm saying is, precise language is important to avoid confusion, and sometimes, rather than worrying about reinventing the wheel, it's easier to throw the baby out with the bathwater.
    ...In other words, it's perfectly fine to create your own AB that looks just like Magic if it helps to clarify that Edges requiring AB (Magic) are void. Does that make sense?

Leave a comment:

• JmOz01
    replied
    FYI: Crew is a Human Scientist, Human Pilot, Beta Engineer, Android extra/general duty

Leave a comment:

• JmOz01
    replied
    Current version https://drive.google.com/file/d/1k25...ew?usp=sharing

Leave a comment:

• JmOz01
    replied
    Originally posted by Deskepticon View Post
    My feedback will differ slightly depending on the tone of the setting. Reading about the asteroid and how it allowed humanity to advance so far technologically, I'm reminded of The Expanse novels, so I'm getting some "hard scifi" vibes. However, the inclusion of Dumb Luck and Fanatics makes me think this is campy Space Opera. Regardless, you probably want to bring over the Atmosphere and Gravity rules from the SFC, as well as create one or two custom Setting Rules to help drive the tone you want to achieve.
    Setting will be somewhere between Firefly and Star Trek in theme. The fanatics rule has actually become a special ability in my current version, dumb luck because I think it is fun...
    The rest taken under advisement

Do Beta Numen need to meet the requirements of their Edge? Also, are all Weird Edges available? Some don't quite match the "designed for technical" specifications. Beast Bond /Beast Master can possibly make the cut, but Champion?, Chi?, Liquid Courage? For that matter, are all Professional Edges included too? Woodman seems far from "technical"; indeed, it's rustic. Is Thief an available Edge? Are Betas employed as professional (and expendable) spies? I think a short list of specific Edges would be more helpful.
    Good point. Yes, woodsman and thief were intended, but the rest that you mentioned not so much. And yes, they need to meet the requirements for it. Will rework

What is All Thumbs (Major)?
    Also, the word is Hindrance, not Hinderance.
    Due to the prevalence of technology the All Thumbs Hinderance is a Major Hindrance instead of a minor

Using Arcane Background to emulate robotic enhancements is clever, but I'm confused why you chose to model Magic and not Gifted. Several comments, given in bulletpoint:
    • Modeling off Magic means beginning with 3 powers off the bat. This may work for a campy setting, where the android goes "Grrrrr!" and a dozen guns pop out, but if you're going for subtlety then Gifted may be the better option. It provides fewer powers, but that means it's more reasonable and believable for them to be concealed. Also, more PP means they can be used more often.
    • "Enhancement Manipulation" is a mouthful, and not something I'm going to be saying at table when asking for a skill roll. I strongly suggest shortening it to three or fewer syllables. However... Gifted uses "Focus," which is neutral-sounding enough to apply to robotic weapons.
    • It looks like you're going with fixed Trappings, meaning the Wizard Edge is right out. However, Gifted has Extra Effort, which can easily represent overcharging a laser or redirecting more power to an effect. No need for a namechange or new custom Edge.
    ____

What does "no range" on a power mean?
    Why is healing, et al given "no range" instead of Touch?
    • Burrow does not have the Self-only Limitation. I suspect you want the power to create permanent tunnels that the party can move through, except that's not what it does (although elemental manipulation used over several minutes can produce that result). Even if the power is described as digging tunnels, they collapse as soon as the caster moves through. If you do, in fact, want the ability to make permanent tunnels with burrow, I'd create a custom modifier for that. +4 PP sounds about right for the amount of impact this can have.
    • Fly isn't Self only? Can the android magically give others boosters or something? If the intent is for others to "ride" the android, that's still just the android casting Fly on herself then using the Strength and Encumbrance rules to carry people.
    • Light/Darkness with a Self Limitation means the android eliminates (or gives?!) Illumination penalties to herself and nobody else. It doesn't mean she shines like a light bulb (which would inherently require the Mobile modifier).
    • Speed is not Self only?
    ____

Psionics:
    Mental Illusion needs more explanation for how it works. The way it's currently written, I don't know what it does.
    • Why is banish on the list? How does someone telepathically send a person to another dimension? If this is anything like how FTL works, why does it only affect targets with a mind?
    • Why is object reading on the list when psionic powers do not affect things without a mind?
    ____
    No range should be touch, messed up nomenclature from another game.

Why Magic instead of Focus: Wanted it smarts based instead of Spirit based. Might be easier though to just make the change to the Focus skill instead....

: Good point on a lot of powers

Leave a comment:

• JmOz01
    commented on 's reply
    I want to thank you for your comments. I will be responding to them in another post, but wanted to truly thank you first.

• Deskepticon
    replied
    My feedback will differ slightly depending on the tone of the setting. Reading about the asteroid and how it allowed humanity to advance so far technologically, I'm reminded of The Expanse novels, so I'm getting some "hard scifi" vibes. However, the inclusion of Dumb Luck and Fanatics makes me think this is campy Space Opera. Regardless, you probably want to bring over the Atmosphere and Gravity rules from the SFC, as well as create one or two custom Setting Rules to help drive the tone you want to achieve.
    ____

Do Beta Numen need to meet the requirements of their Edge? Also, are all Weird Edges available? Some don't quite match the "designed for technical" specifications. Beast Bond /Beast Master can possibly make the cut, but Champion?, Chi?, Liquid Courage? For that matter, are all Professional Edges included too? Woodman seems far from "technical"; indeed, it's rustic. Is Thief an available Edge? Are Betas employed as professional (and expendable) spies? I think a short list of specific Edges would be more helpful.
    ____

What is All Thumbs (Major)?
    Also, the word is Hindrance, not Hinderance.
    ____

Using Arcane Background to emulate robotic enhancements is clever, but I'm confused why you chose to model Magic and not Gifted. Several comments, given in bulletpoint:
    • Modeling off Magic means beginning with 3 powers off the bat. This may work for a campy setting, where the android goes "Grrrrr!" and a dozen guns pop out, but if you're going for subtlety then Gifted may be the better option. It provides fewer powers, but that means it's more reasonable and believable for them to be concealed. Also, more PP means they can be used more often.
    • "Enhancement Manipulation" is a mouthful, and not something I'm going to be saying at table when asking for a skill roll. I strongly suggest shortening it to three or fewer syllables. However... Gifted uses "Focus," which is neutral-sounding enough to apply to robotic weapons.
    • It looks like you're going with fixed Trappings, meaning the Wizard Edge is right out. However, Gifted has Extra Effort, which can easily represent overcharging a laser or redirecting more power to an effect. No need for a namechange or new custom Edge.
    ____

What does "no range" on a power mean?
    Why is healing, et al given "no range" instead of Touch?
    • Burrow does not have the Self-only Limitation. I suspect you want the power to create permanent tunnels that the party can move through, except that's not what it does (although elemental manipulation used over several minutes can produce that result). Even if the power is described as digging tunnels, they collapse as soon as the caster moves through. If you do, in fact, want the ability to make permanent tunnels with burrow, I'd create a custom modifier for that. +4 PP sounds about right for the amount of impact this can have.
    • Fly isn't Self only? Can the android magically give others boosters or something? If the intent is for others to "ride" the android, that's still just the android casting Fly on herself then using the Strength and Encumbrance rules to carry people.
    • Light/Darkness with a Self Limitation means the android eliminates (or gives?!) Illumination penalties to herself and nobody else. It doesn't mean she shines like a light bulb (which would inherently require the Mobile modifier).
    • Speed is not Self only?
    ____

Psionics:
    Mental Illusion needs more explanation for how it works. The way it's currently written, I don't know what it does.
    • Why is banish on the list? How does someone telepathically send a person to another dimension? If this is anything like how FTL works, why does it only affect targets with a mind?
    • Why is object reading on the list when psionic powers do not affect things without a mind?
    ____
    Last edited by Deskepticon; 01-01-2022, 10:45 PM.

Leave a comment:

• JmOz01
    replied
    Thank you for the comments

Leave a comment:

• AndrewKennett
    replied
    There are a few SF settings for SW and this should get added to the list. The 3 metahumans look OK although will players still want normal humans? GM will need to make sure the social effects are enforced which can be difficult if the party are mostly away from civilization. Are you thinking of a space/horror setting (exploring ruins or derelict spaceships), if so you may want a stress/fear mechanic.

Leave a comment:

• JmOz01
    started a topic DANGER SPACE EXPLORERS for review

DANGER SPACE EXPLORERS for review

Danger Space Explorers

Premise: The players are the crew of a small space freighter. They will engage in bounty hunting, prospecting, cargo runs, etc.…
    Setting: Approximately 100 years ago Earth took to the stars. This was motivated as the earth had become a cesspool (it’s improved but over population and pollution are real problems still).
    Earth was able to break the light barrio because of an asteroid that had landed on a moon of Jupiter. The asteroid had a small amount of a mineral named Banatanium. This mineral had strange properties that scientists were able to use to create the first FTL Drive. While the early days of FTL space travel were fraught with danger, earth learned how to navigate the perils and expand outwards.
    • FTL: FTL is achieved by opening a portal into another dimension, traveling through the dimension, and opening another portal to exit. While this sounds simple, a lot can go wrong. Placing beacons (and gates) at certain sites makes in much safer. Note this has ramifications for communication as well
    • Alien Life: No intelligent alien life has been found, but plant and non-intelligent animals have been found. Furthermore proof of intelligent life a millennium ago has been found (ruins, etc…). Oddly no fossil record has been found…
    • “Artificial Humans”: There are three clone races (called Numen) and androids do exist. All are considered property.
    • Setting Rules: Conviction, Dumb Luck, Fanatics, More skill Points, Wound Cap
    • Arcane Backgrounds: Are limited by race, each AB has limited powers available
    • Advances: Every 1-2 sessions

Character Creation
    Concept: Many concepts should be based around ship roll. See Ship below
    Races:
    • Android
      • As page 12, Replace Pacifist with Outsider (Major)
      • May take AB Android Enhancements
    • Human:
      • Humans do not start with a free edge, instead they start with 2 hinderance points
      • May take AB Psionic, Weird Science,
    • Alpha Numen: Big, not so bright… Designed for Heavy Labor
      • +1 Rank of Strength
      • +1 Rank of Vigor
      • Hardy
      • +1 Size
      • Low Light Vision
      • Attribute Penalty -1 to Smarts rolls
      • Clueless (-1 to Common Knowledge and Notice)
      • Outsider (Major)
      • No AB
    • Beta Numen: Designed for technical (Scientists, pilots, etc…)
      • Choose one Professional or Weird Edge
      • Low Light Vision
      • Sleep Reduction (1/2 Normal Sleep)
      • Outsider (Major)
      • May take AB Weird Science
    • Gamma Numen: Designed for Interpersonal (Diplomat assistants, Retail, counseling, etc…)
      • +2 to Persuasion
      • Low Light Vision
      • Quirk: Outsider regarding legal rights (Minor)
    Hinderances
    • All thumbs (Major)
    Attributes: No Change
    Skills:
    • Characters start with the 5 core skills plus 15 skill points (per Extra Skill Points)
    • The following skills are highly recommended for the group to possess Electronics, Healing, Repair, Science
    • Replace occult with Xeno, Spellcasting with Enhancement Manipulation
    Derived Statistics: No Change
    Edges:
    • Background Edges should be taken at Character Creation only without special permission
    • Disallowed: Artificer, any edge revolving around AB: Gifted or Miracles
    Gear: Crew have a Light Freighter (pg 49 of Sci Fi)…with an issue. For free
    • Sonic Stunner: Use stats of Shotguns, but nonlethal damage only
    • Projectile and laser weapons are considered Heavy inside of ships (in other words you can damage a ship from the inside easily)
    • Molecular weapons reskinned as vibro
    • Body Armor (Armor +2, $200) can be used as the basis of space suit. For an additional +50 it includes a helmet with a 2-hour air supply. For +100 it includes the helmet and a 0-G flight pack
    • Comlink: Comlinks include a series of sensors and a micro-computer (Think smart phone). They are wrist mounted ($100)
    Freighter (needs name and a hinderance)
    • Size: 8; Handling: +1; Top Speed 300; Toughness: 25 (6); Crew 5; Mods Remaining: 7
    • Mods: FTL, Artificial Intelligence (d6), Atmospheric, Hanger, Sensor Suite (Planetary), 2xDuel Linked Light Lasers, Targeting System
    • Crew: Captain, Navigator, Pilot, Science, Doctor
    • Additional Crafts: 2 Flying bikes, (atmosphere only), 1 truck
    ARCANE BACKGROUND
    AB Android Enhancement: a reskinned Magic, Spellcasting is called Enhancement Manipulation. Most powers are either no range or self if not an attack
    Available Powers (Trappings): Blind (Bright light), Bolt (Built in laser), Boost (SO, Super charge), Burrow, Burst, Confusion, Damage Field (SO), Darksight (S0), Deflection (SO, Shield), Detect/Conceal Arcana (SO), Disguise (SO, Illusion Projector), Entangle (Goop Thrower), Farsight (SO), Fly, Havoc, Healing (NR), Illusion, Invisibility (SO), Light/Darkness (SO), Protection (SO), Relief (NR), Sloth/Speed (NR), Slumber, Stun, Wall Walker (SO), Warrior Gift (SO)
    AB: Psionic : The trapping for all of these powers are based on telepathically affecting the target. If the person does not have a mind, it cannot be used, Mental Illusion Powers (MI) is a -1 pp limitation that some can see right through it
    Available Powers (Trappings): Banish, Beast Friend, Blind (MI), Boost/Lower Trait, Confusion (MI), Deflection detect/conceal arcana, Disguise (MI), Divination, Empathy, Fear (MI), Illusion (MI), Invisibility (MI), Mind Link, Mind Reading, Mind Wipe, Object Reading, Puppet, Relief, Slumber, Speak Language, Stun, Warrior Gift
    AB Weird Science
    Available Powers (Trappings): Barrier, Blast, Blind, Boost/Lower Traits (NR), Bolt, Burrow, Burst, Confusion, Darksight (NR), Deflection (NR), Detect/Conceal Arcana (NR), Disguise (NR), Entangle (Goop thrower), Farsight (NR), Fly (NR), Havoc, Healing (NR), Illusion, Invisibility (NR), Light/Darkness (NR), Protection (NR), Relief (NR), Sloth, Slumber, Stun

Codes: SO: Self Only, NR: No Range, MI: Mental Illusion

Working...
X