Some Deadlands Homebrew

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some Deadlands Homebrew

While I take ValhallaGH's advice and start reworking my transmute power to not try to do everything at once and instead make an arcane background with specific trappings I figured I might as well link something I have been working on in one form or another since The Cackler Graphic novel was released.

Which is a my own attempt at bringing in the Whatley Blood Mage into reloaded as well as some Relics and a couple other spells that I think cant be a trapping for a power and gives a bit more flavor to that background, granted some are not even started yet but hey I could be overthinking things again and you guys may have the common sense answer for me.

Last edited by thevampman24; 12-31-2017, 07:25 AM. Reason: Attampting to fix link
    What's wrong with Insanity? If we were all sane the world would be boring indeed.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing

I don't know what I am doing work for the link I really dont
    What's wrong with Insanity? If we were all sane the world would be boring indeed.

Comment

Dabbler is just a new, weaker form of Arcane Background, making it a weak option for most characters. It could stack with an existing AB, where it grants the benefits of the Power Points edge and two powers potentially not normally available for the specific Background, letting a Legendary Huckster gain a shaman's greater healing power for example.

Your Whately Blood note is less a change and more a formal acknowledgement of what the edge already does.

I think Blood Magus is a bad thematic choice to make available for players, but the mechanics seem okay.

Ace Card is a trapping on the Gadgeteer edge, just like a Shaman's Fetish Creator edge. As a power, it's too situational to compete with quickness or burst. As a Gadgeteer variant, it becomes worthwhile.
      Carbon Copy is cool, but doesn't thematically match Hucksters. If this were for the HOE Librarian then I'd support it.
      Coffin Varnish and Vittles is a trapping of succor. Using magic to remove Fatigue from sleep deprivation and alcohol poisoning, and starvation respectively.
      Traveler's Tricks is terrifying - who would want to give a demon permission to trim their body hair, and trust it not to trim something more vital?

Not sure why the Whately Bible stuff is included so I'll not comment at this time.
      I hope you find the above post useful. And not insulting, because I was trying to be helpful, not insulting; being a pedantic jerk, that isn't always clear.

Comment

I agree with your view on Dabbler and ace card and reworked them accordingly.

Combining Vittles and Coffin Varnish and making them a Trapping for Succor makes sense but since I dont want to step on the toes of the other backgrounds too much maybe bump its rank for hucksters up from novice to seasoned? Like Vittles already is?

Travelers Tricks is my attempt at bringing some of the tricks from classic to Reloaded and since they were mostly for lack of a better term 0 level spells I figured one package deal of related tricks made sense to me.

I made Carbon Copy for Agency Hucksters mostly since It fit in my head that they would have arcane means of duplicating important documents and for Librarians... I have an image of A junker and a Librarian trying to lower the fear level with magically reprinted copies of Joke Books, granted if in the future the Carbon copy power was upgraded to make copies of information in nearly any form that would be a good way to fill a bunch of blank data slugs with useful information for survival or seasons of Mystery Science Theater 3000. You know which ever.

And for the Whatleys I admit I am biased since I fell in love with the idea of the Good Blood mage from not only Dragon Age but also reading about the whatleys form magic in Black Circle and Epitaph 4, and I've always like the idea of someone turning dark powers back at the darkness.

Comment

Ah, another fan of the anti-Templars and their nigh inevitable slide into pure evil.
          I hope you find the above post useful. And not insulting, because I was trying to be helpful, not insulting; being a pedantic jerk, that isn't always clear.

Comment

Well there is a lot of Story potential in the Anti Templars besides “I am evil Pali hahaha” specifically if they try to pull a John Constantine and borrow power from Demon A to fight Demon B and Tell him it’s Demon Cs will and while B and C fight tell A so he can get try to one up them both and while they keep themselves occupied in a magical Mexican stand off keep using the power.

Granted when they realize what happened or if one beats the other two that’s when the bill comes due.

Comment

• ValhallaGH
              ValhallaGH commented
              Editing a comment
              Anti-Templars, they pull power from the Reckoners to do things similar to Templars. Part of the Deadlands: Hell On Earth setting.
              And as they use their powers, they become corrupted, eventually turning into the kinds of human monsters that heroes slay.

This is Deadlands. Using the tools of evil will end badly. Just look at how many Hucksters explode, or turn into murderous villains.

I know I was just listing a way a an Anti-Templar could "Good" or Work with a good party whiles till being an Anti-Templar. Don't know how often that is need but i've just read Hell on Earth not had a chance tp play it yet. and when I do Im undecided if I want to run Hoe Classic or Reloaded.

Comment

Working...
            X