Custom Races For Use With SWADE SPC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custom Races For Use With SWADE SPC

Okay I have a question. In the Heredity Section it says to ignore the Super Powers Option listed in the Positive Racial Abilities table; however, use the rules listed here instead. So does that mean the Super Powers Edge is a free Edge for custom races or would Super Powers be priced just like an Edge in SWADE?

For instance, say I want my custom air elemental race to have Altered Form as part of their racial abilities and the Power Level is Level 2: Rising Stars with the beginning power points set at 10. Would the air elemental get Altered Form on top of the 10 starting powers points or would it eat into those starting points.

I guess what I am asking is it is possible to require all members of a species to have certain common powers and would you require them to spend starting power points or just charge those as part of the race cost?

Originally posted by SPC3
    HEREDITY
    Supers are humans by default and thus have the Adaptable racial ability. You can also create your own custom background if you like, perhaps playing the lone survivor of a dead planet, or a cat-like rakashan from another dimension. See Savage Worlds for details.
    Ignore the Super Powers option listed in the Positive Racial Abilities table of Savage Worlds, however. Use the rules listed here instead. The Super Powers Edge (page 12) grants access to powers, and players characters should start with it for free in most supers settings.
    Originally posted by SWAE
    [Cost]2+X
    Super Powers (1): The race has truly extraordinary abilities taken from the Savage Worlds Super Powers Companion. The cost is 2—for Arcane Background (Super Powers)—plus the actual cost of the power selected (X). Make sure you have the GM’s permission before taking this powerful ability.
    So what we've got is a really clunky way of saying "Replace the core rules Super Powers reference with this book."
    So a race of air elemental might have Altered Form (Fall Proof, Viscous) for 5 Super Power Points, for a total of 7 Positive Racial Abilities. That then need to be balanced out by 5 points of Negative Racial Abilities to get back to the standard +2 race value.
    I hope you find the above post useful. And not insulting, because I was trying to be helpful, not insulting; being a pedantic jerk, that isn't always clear.

Comment

• BrotherGrrrimm
      BrotherGrrrimm commented
      Editing a comment
      Couldn't have said it better myself (and didn't)

New question. The Power Level is Power Level 2: Rising Stars. If a race has inborn super powers such as the aforementioned Altered Form, would they be able to pump more points into it up to the Power Limit? Or are inborn powers fixed and cannot be increased?

Comment

Inborn powers would generally be "fixed".
      If a character was some kind of mutant then they might have modifications to their innate abilities. But the more common trope (see Legion of Super-Heroes*) is that their natural abilities are incredible and they augment those with training, equipment, and possibly other super powers.

*Warning: TV Tropes link.
      I hope you find the above post useful. And not insulting, because I was trying to be helpful, not insulting; being a pedantic jerk, that isn't always clear.

Comment

I can think of one example of an enhanced version of an alien race with powers - skrulls in Marvel have natural shapeshifting abilities, but the super skrull have much greater shapeshifting powers and can use them to copy the powers of people they shapeshift into. In SPC terms, basic skrull have Chameleon (3) and super skrulls probably add on the Inanimate Object and Biometrics modifiers and then pick up Copycat, probably Contingent upon their racial Chameleon ability.

Honestly I kinda preferred the old SPC approach of "build your race with super power points" but I guess that's more or less the same thing; you just have a package of X number of Super Power Points if you have races that are important to the setting. You wouldn't necessarily have to keep them balanced to +2 as long as you kept track of how many points the racial package cost.

Comment

Working...
        X