New Edge idea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Edge idea

I have this idea for an Edge for a setting I am working on. As part of the setting, characters are tough; body armor, energy shields, all that jazz. This limits certain character types, especially the precision gunman that drops foes with a single well-placed shot.
    So I figured I could create an Edge that leans into that archetype. Analysis, suggestions, and feedback are welcome.

Updated version

Precision Killer
    Requirements: Seasoned, Fighting d8+, Healing d6+, Shooting d8+
    Careful studies of biology and motion have optimized deadly shooting.
    This killer deals four additional damage when making a Called Shot for bonus damage.

I realize that this can become a crazy stack. The Drop, Assassin, Called Shot for head or vitals, Double Tap / Three Round Burst, and Precision Killer is an insane +15 damage; that's [dice] plus almost four Wounds. Even in regular combat, that can be a -4 attack for +8 damage (or -2 with Marksman). But I am okay with that, since it rewards a particular style of combatant (and some things do not take additional damage from called shots).

Thanks, all.
    Last edited by ValhallaGH; 08-24-2021, 03:39 PM.
    I hope you find the above post useful. And not insulting, because I was trying to be helpful, not insulting; being a pedantic jerk, that isn't always clear.

Since the setting features beefy characters, +4 damage is probably not too much, but it seems the Edge should still have some built-in restrictions. At the very least, limit the bonus to just one action per turn. This makes me wonder if the Edge wouldn't be better served as an "improved" version of Marksman. So the shooter would get +1 to attack and also add +4 to damage for that action, provided they don't move that turn. Or is the intention to allow the bonus damage on full auto?

Comment

Originally posted by Deskepticon View Post
      Since the setting features beefy characters, +4 damage is probably not too much, but it seems the Edge should still have some built-in restrictions.
      Fair.
      At the very least, limit the bonus to just one action per turn.
      Solid suggestion, thanks.
      This makes me wonder if the Edge wouldn't be better served as an "improved" version of Marksman. So the shooter would get +1 to attack and also add +4 to damage for that action, provided they don't move that turn. Or is the intention to allow the bonus damage on full auto?
      I want it to work with full auto.
      Also, Marksman negates 2 points of Scale penalties (the +1 is only if you have no applicable penalties), so instead of being -4 for +8 damage it would be -2 for +8 damage for everyone, which is too powerful for even my crazy brain to allow as the default.
      I hope you find the above post useful. And not insulting, because I was trying to be helpful, not insulting; being a pedantic jerk, that isn't always clear.

Comment

The skill requirements appear rather steep; maybe consider requiring Fighting or Shooting at d8+ rather than both, since most characters tend to lean into either melee or ranged.

May also be worth considering making it a d6 damage instead of a fixed +4. That adds a bit of variability, plus the potential of another damage die to ace.

Comment

Originally posted by ValhallaGH View Post
          I want it to work with full auto.
          Also, Marksman negates 2 points of Scale penalties (the +1 is only if you have no applicable penalties), so instead of being -4 for +8 damage it would be -2 for +8 damage for everyone, which is too powerful for even my crazy brain to allow as the default.
          Yes, but it's also two Edges worth of investment, one of which (Marksman) must be acquired at least a full Advance before the one that awards the bonus damage. Not to mention the conditions that must be met: not moving that turn, and limiting the bonus to just the first action (and only RoF1 to boot). It is crazy powerful, but theoretically, anyone can gain that benefit anyway; it's only a difference of requiring Marksman or leaving it as an option. The investment is the same.

However, the goal of allowing Precision Killer to be used with full auto is enough to make me nix the idea of linking it Marksman and take an entirely different approach.

How do you feel about splitting this into two Edges, each one providing a +2 damage bonus?
          The first---using your listed requirements---can provide +2 to the damage roll of the first attack when making a Called Shot, but with no restriction on movement or RoF. The second Edge (one Rank higher) adds an additional +2 damage, but can apply to all three actions... for +4, +2, +2 respectively.

Comment

Originally posted by Sarigar View Post
            The skill requirements appear rather steep; maybe consider requiring Fighting or Shooting at d8+ rather than both, since most characters tend to lean into either melee or ranged.
            They are steep, but this is the easier requirements - my previous version required Athletics d8+ and Smarts d6+ instead of Healing.
            For how powerful the benefit can be, steep requirements seem appropriate. This is basically twice as good as Assassin, and activating it is entirely under the player's control. That's one heck of a strong Edge.
            Also, while d8+ in two combat skills is rare, it isn't out of reach for most combatants. Typically it is a single additional Advance spent on Skills that are good skills. Which keeps this from being a "must have" choice and (hopefully) drops it back to a "want to have" choice, like Luck.

May also be worth considering making it a d6 damage instead of a fixed +4. That adds a bit of variability, plus the potential of another damage die to ace.
            Variability is why I didn't go that route. Thematically, this Edge is all about repetition, getting the same results from the same action. Dice don't do that, so they don't belong in this Edge.
            ... But that is a great idea for a similar setting rule. Some kind of "Headshots Hurt! - Called shots for bonus damage also do +d6".

Thanks for the feedback.

Comment

• Deskepticon
              Deskepticon commented
              Editing a comment
              Just want to chime in and say I thought the requirements were quite fair for what the Edge was providing.

How do you feel about splitting this into two Edges, each one providing a +2 damage bonus?
            I don't hate it.
            I think having the bonus damage be different for actions in the same turn would be confusing, and players do not need more rules to be confused about.

Comment

• Deskepticon
              Deskepticon commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks!
              It's strange hearing that from someone who has helped me understand the system better, but you are very welcome!

• ValhallaGH
              ValhallaGH commented
              Editing a comment
              Deskepticon My big take away from the times I have been an instructor is that a good instructor learns while teaching.
              My small take away from those times is that anyone I have taught should be a useful sounding board for my stranger ideas.
              You are welcome for having become a useful sounding board.

• Deskepticon
              Deskepticon commented
              Editing a comment
              You make me sound like an object, just there to be used...

I kid, naturally.

Okay, updated version, still looking for feedback.

Precision Killer
            Requirements:
            Seasoned, Fighting d8+, Healing d6+, Shooting d8+
            Careful studies of biology and motion have optimized deadly shooting.
            On the first action in a Turn, this killer deals four additional damage when making a Called Shot for bonus damage.
            Improved Precision Killer
            Requirements:
            Veteran, Precision Killer
            As above, but the Edge can apply to up to three actions in a Turn.

Thanks for the help!

Comment

Working...
            X