Arcane Background: Heroic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arcane Background: Heroic

Okay a bit of background on this idea. For those oldies on the board, can anyone remember Mongoose Runequest both first and second, followed with Legend?

If you do, this idea will be familiar to you, and would have been called Heroic Abilities. Mainly, I was dissatified with SP Mystic Power route, and thought this would be a better idea.

This is split into two: Gifts, Training. These are abilities that tap into the aspects of magic, of heroism, and are no lesser for it.

Gifts: These are received from some external source whether a Deity, Higher power and cover a lot of abilities that are not actually proper magic spells , but certainly magic in nature. This covers things like all Paladin, or Champion related class abilities.

Training: These are available through seeking reclusive masters. This would cover any particular martial art type abilities that a fighter or monk could have, ranger abilities, or in fact from any class where these 'abilities' would be beyond the normal.

Costs. These are the same for both Gifts and Training. Levels 1-5 cost 1 PP, 6-10 cost 2 PP, 11-15 cost 3 PP, 16-20 cost 4 PP.

Now I am aware that this could be covered as AB Gifted, but felt this deserved something slightly different. This way you could have a clerical (magic user) / martial monk, or clerical / martial paladin. You could a martial fighter / mage this way too.

I figure this way you could literally plumb the depths of some of the Legenday Classes books for PF and convert some of the stuff for your own games.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by Rogerd; 05-31-2021, 05:01 PM.

There seems to be a lot of missing information here.

So a character takes Arcane Background (Heroic) and... then what? Do they select powers as normal? I assume not since you provided custom Power Point costs for "gifts" and "training." Other than a general description, there aren't any rules for how gifts or training work. And what do the "levels" signify?

This way you could have a clerical (magic user) / martial monk, or clerical / martial paladin. You could a martial fighter / mage
    Seems like you can accomplish that easily with with a Core Class plus a generic AB. I have no idea what benefit your proposal adds (mostly because it's not fleshed out).

Comment

Originally posted by Deskepticon View Post
      There seems to be a lot of missing information here.

So a character takes Arcane Background (Heroic) and... then what? Do they select powers as normal? I assume not since you provided custom Power Point costs for "gifts" and "training." Other than a general description, there aren't any rules for how gifts or training work. And what do the "levels" signify?

Seems like you can accomplish that easily with with a Core Class plus a generic AB. I have no idea what benefit your proposal adds (mostly because it's not fleshed out).
      Okay these are replacing Mystic Power from Savage Pathfinder. So they would select various class abilities from Pathfinder.

https://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/paladin/

So all of these class abilities would be covered under Gifts as they come from a deity. While not actual magic, it is magical in nature

https://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/monk/

Whereas the monk's would be covered under Training. Heck you could add stuff from Gurps Martial Arts here too if you wanted.

So things liks like-

Stunning Fist, Vibrating Palm all these things would be covered under training.

So most things from Legendary Classes should be fair game:
      https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...=0_0_45787_0_0
      Last edited by Rogerd; 05-31-2021, 06:31 PM.

Comment

I don't mean to sound callous, but that tells me nothing. I already assumed from the first post that it's meant to emulate the "special abilities" of classes. What I wanted to know is how it's supposed to work. What happens when the character takes AB (Heroic)?

"So they would select various class abilities from Pathfinder."

Select how?
        As powers? As Edges? As something else? How's it all balanced? Class abilities in PF/3.5 aren't equal since consideration is made for other things; other class abilities gained at the same level, increase in saving throw or BAB, etc.

I guess the "levels" refers to class level from the source material. That's a very cumbersome design since players will need to reference two different systems when picking their abilities. If you are introducing a new mechanic or rule to Savage Worlds, it should be restricted to exclusively Savage Worlds. Players should just be able to open their Adventure Edition book (or Pathfinder for Savage Worlds book in this case), and see what's new or different with your rule.

Comment

• Deskepticon
          Deskepticon commented
          Editing a comment
          P.S. - "Arcane Background (Heroic)" is a misleading name. Since Heroic is already a Rank descriptor, this almost makes me think this AB is intended for higher-Ranked characters. I'd suggest a different name.

So let's look at PF monk abilities.

In truth many of these abilities would be more akin to Edges, not true powers.

Stunning Fist, is essentially an affliction attack, whether literally creating a shaken condition, fatigued, that kind of thing. Nothing super powerful.

Still Mind would be a bonus to resist mental attacks, I would likely say +1.

Slow Fall would be reduction in falling danage, again no big deal.

High Jump, well just import Leap from from Supers 2e.

Purity of Body, immunity to disease as per Supers 2ed too I believe.
        Diamond body, immune to poisons. Again both these two are heroic abilities, and not a big deal. However, alternatively way to do these would be Mind-Over-Matter: Cleansing. Such that players get a +1, then +2 if taken again against poisons and diseases.

Wholeness of Body, is Mind-Over-Matter: Healing. Such that a player gets a bonus to heal and recover,+1 should suffice here. Heck, if you wanted replace this with slow regeneration. Although I prefer the meditative aspect being more in keeping with a monk.

You would get a similar thing with Paladin abilities, such that they would be more akin to edges too, just Gifts.

So Detect Evil, would be Sense Evil, such that they get a bonus on their Notice skill, or they make a Spirit check. That kind of thing.
        Last edited by Rogerd; 05-31-2021, 08:48 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X