Savaged Gamma World

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Savaged Gamma World

I love the gonzo feel of the earlier versions of Gamma World and was happy when I found a fan made Savaged version of it online. A friend of mine asked if I would run D&D for her son's group, I'm not a big fan of the mechanic or high fantasy, so floated Savaged Gamma World past them..... Not sure if they have ever played any Savage Worlds settings.

Might be a good two-fer of spreading a setting I love and a good mechanic. Two great things about I love about SW is it is easy to teach to people who have never gamed (including kids). The other is the price. For a $20 (book and a set of dice) you're good to go.

I'm wanting to try to come up with a way "buy" mutant animals. Kenneth MacArthur did a good job with the mutations and not going to reinvent the wheel.... What I'm talking about is sort of like the "uplifting" of animals they had in the old TMNT RPG. Start out with some sort of point buy system. Take an animal like a domestic cat, spend x points to have basic, manipulative, super sensitive hands. Spend x points to grow from cat size to child size, to teenager size, to adult size.... ect.

Was talking to my friend about the mutant animals and showed her a pic of Hoops (8ft bunny rabbits) which she thought was cool. Stupid me was saying you could theoretically have a mutant land octopus, guess what she was saying she might want to play

Zadmar's Savage Beasts has rules for creating were-creatures, if that helps.

Comment

Thanks, going to be checking it out over the turkey and naps

Comment

• Deskepticon
        Deskepticon commented
        Editing a comment
        I like to think to mean turkey and napkins.
        *wipes face* "Well, can't let that go to waste."
        Happy Thanksgiving, btw.
        Last edited by Deskepticon; 11-24-2017, 12:48 AM.

stuff my belly with turkey and take a long nap

Comment

Originally posted by JPKeenan007 View Post
        I'm wanting to try to come up with a way "buy" mutant animals. Kenneth MacArthur did a good job with the mutations and not going to reinvent the wheel.... What I'm talking about is sort of like the "uplifting" of animals they had in the old TMNT RPG. Start out with some sort of point buy system. Take an animal like a domestic cat, spend x points to have basic, manipulative, super sensitive hands. Spend x points to grow from cat size to child size, to teenager size, to adult size.... ect.
        Sounds like you need a custom race that has a selection ability or two to represent the animal.
        Between the race creation systems and Savage Beasts, you might get something like:
        Mutant Animal:
        Attribute (+2): Mutant Animals improve Agility or Strength, and the maximum, by one step. This is determined based upon the original creature.
        Natural Armaments (+1): The Mutant Animal has a natural weapon of some kind, usually a bite, that deals Str+d6 damage. Two claws, spines, or other attack that can be used with Two Weapon Fighting are Str+d4.
        Keen Sense (+1): One sense type (generally sight, hearing, or smell) is especially good, granting +2 on relevant Notice checks. Smell also grants a +2 on scent-based Tracking rolls.
        Crude (-1): Bestial instincts drive the character to odd and unsightly behavior. This inflicts -2 Charisma when interacting with more polite society.
        Instinctive / Simple (-2): This inflicts -1 on all Spirit or Smarts checks, respectively (chosen during race creation).
        Mobile (+1): Animal features grant new mobility. Choose one of: +2 Pace and +1 step of Running Die; Aquatic Pace 6 and can't drown; double jumping distances and +1d6" with a Strength roll; wall walking Pace 4.

You'll need to work with the players some for specific creatures and ideas, but that should do you for a basic package.
        I hope you find the above post useful. And not insulting, because I was trying to be helpful, not insulting; being a pedantic jerk, that isn't always clear.

Comment

ValhallaGH More along the lines of starting out with an animal size (cats, raccoons, possums being one size group (smaller or larger, say spider to hippo) to even out to a human size.... Same for manipulative hand (a raccoon having advantage over say a dog or horse), bipedal, vocalization and the like.

Sort of on par more with the old Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle RPG than a racial template....

.... for making things easy I may just have everyone take an extra Edge (including non-mutant animals), and the mutated animals will get a "human form" Edge.

Comment

• Brickulos
            Brickulos commented
            Editing a comment
            Sounds a little overly complicated.

• JPKeenan007
            JPKeenan007 commented
            Editing a comment
            not really, it's part of the gonzo of the setting.

• Brickulos
            Brickulos commented
            Editing a comment
            So why not just use the race creation rules to model this?

ValhallaGH More along the lines of starting out with an animal size (cats, raccoons, possums being one size group (smaller or larger, say spider to hippo) to even out to a human size.... Same for manipulative hand (a raccoon having advantage over say a dog or horse), bipedal, vocalization and the like.

Sort of on par more with the old Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle RPG than a racial template....

.... for making things easy I may just have everyone take an extra Edge (including non-mutant animals), and the mutated animals will get a "human form" Edge.
          So, you want to make playable ANIMALS. Not mutant humanoid animals, like the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, but normal animals that happen to have human-level intellect and might gain manipulators on par with opposable thumbs. The Rats of NIMH, not mutants like the Ninja Turtles.
          Do I understand you correctly?
          I hope you find the above post useful. And not insulting, because I was trying to be helpful, not insulting; being a pedantic jerk, that isn't always clear.

Comment

basically uplifting an animal stock to be mutant animals... Mutant Animals are a stock and trade in Gamma World

Comment

• ValhallaGH
              ValhallaGH commented
              Editing a comment
              That does not answer my question.

I think a "mutant animal" starting race (as a template... like Valhalla presented), would be the easiest way to handle PCs. Essentially they all start out as bipeds with opposable thumbs, meaning they can use weapons, manipulate objects, etc. right from the getgo. Individuals can take the Small Hindrance to represent a size difference compared to other mutant breeds, Illiterate for less intelligent creatures (like those born from insects, frex), and so on.

However, the GM rule for building opposition still holds: just give'em whatever they need. If some ooze spills on a cockroach meant to be a baddie, just arbitrarily assign it several Trait dice, bump its Size a couple notches, give it a +d6 attack of some sort and call it good.

If you do want to go the route of having the players develop their characters from animal through the stages of full mutation, you might want to consider a Race-Progression-via-Edges approach. This is where you design several custom Edges that "build" the race as players take them. So one Edge might be Bipedal ("the character now walks on its hind legs; it can use its forepaws and move it's Pace without penalty"), or Opposable Thumbs, Human Speech, etc.
            This would require some extra rules for "intelligent" pre-mutant animals regarding movement and actions, or even communication between characters. You will also need to customize the allowed animals so they balance out, not just pluck them whole-cloth from the bestiary.

Comment

Working...
            X