Upgradable medieval ships

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgradable medieval ships

I'm thinking of having a game set in an Al-Qadim / Lands of Fire type of setting where the party can own and operate a ship that they slowly upgrade with money. Can somebody recommend to me some good rules for such a thing?

I guess there are some such rules in the 50 Fathoms and Spanish Main games, though I have not sought those games out because I have little interest in their settings. Would they work for simulating fantasy / medieval ships?

I put together a PDF with deck plans and stats for different vessels, since I'm working on ideas for a Freeport campaign using Savage Worlds; modifications and upgrades are something that I've been contemplating. May I assume that these would be increases to stats such as Handling, Top Speed and Toughness?

http://d20pirates.blogspot.com/2020/...ge-worlds.html

-Nate

Comment

I'd recommend using "mod slots" similar to how vehicles in the SFC are. The vessel's Size determines many mods it can hold, and characters can "downgrade" the vessel to free up mods elsewhere. The point here is to offer options but not promote the idea that characters could create a "supership" just by throwing money at it.

I wouldn't stop just at ship stats either. Sure, better Handling and firepower can be important, but expanding /upgrading the ship's galley so the crew has better food can provide a morale bonus to Crew Actions, while improved navigational equipment can cut down travel time.

Comment

Originally posted by Nate View Post
        I put together a PDF with deck plans and stats for different vessels, since I'm working on ideas for a Freeport campaign using Savage Worlds; modifications and upgrades are something that I've been contemplating. May I assume that these would be increases to stats such as Handling, Top Speed and Toughness?

http://d20pirates.blogspot.com/2020/...ge-worlds.html

-Nate
        Excellent supplement, thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by Deskepticon View Post
          I'd recommend using "mod slots" similar to how vehicles in the SFC are. The vessel's Size determines many mods it can hold, and characters can "downgrade" the vessel to free up mods elsewhere. The point here is to offer options but not promote the idea that characters could create a "supership" just by throwing money at it.

I wouldn't stop just at ship stats either. Sure, better Handling and firepower can be important, but expanding /upgrading the ship's galley so the crew has better food can provide a morale bonus to Crew Actions, while improved navigational equipment can cut down travel time.
          Yes, that's my thought as well. The size of the ship itself is what determines how "super" it is and how many mod slots it can hold. That and paying for the mods themselves is where money matters.

I will look into the SFC, I didn't think of it as a potential help for this kind of thing but there you go.

Comment

Working...
          X