Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternate Powers System (NPP-ish)

Greetings folks,

It's no secret that the No Power Points Setting Rule is not the greatest. In fact, it's pretty bad. Without further adieu, here's my attempt at a "non-bookkeeping" version of casting powers.

Instead of granting spendable Power Points, Arcane Backgrounds grant the character a "Power Point Threshold" (PPT) of 2. The Power Points Edge increases the Threshold by 2 each time it's taken (still once per Rank). When a character wants to cast a power, they do so normally, choosing any modifiers they want and determining the Power Point cost. That cost is then compared to the character's PPT. Each time the PP cost equals the PPT, the character takes a level of Fatigue after determining the success of the arcane roll. This can cause Incapacitation or even death.
    Example
    A mage has a Power Point Threshold of 2. She may cast 1 PP bolts all day with no risk of harm. If she adds AP2 to the power (for +1 PP), her 2 PP bolt will result in one level of Fatigue. If she instead casted a 4 PP power, she'd be Exhausted. She'd Incapacitate herself by casting a 6 PP power, and casting any 8+ PP power would kill her.

So as you can see, taking the Power Points Edge at Novice is almost imperative as that would mean that Fatigue /Exhaustion /Incap would then occur at 4/8/12 Power Points, respectively, instead of 2/4/6. What this effectively does is allow a mage to use low-level magic as a primary weapon, much like the fighter uses a sword or the archer uses a bow. The big, flashy powers become a gamble as those can quickly take the mage out of the fight.

The con to this system is that playing a magic user essentially becomes a slow burn. You're relegated to taking potshots for all of Novice Rank until you're PPT allows a bit more breathing room. It also means that casting resurrection will always knock the healer on his butt until he attains Legendary.
    _________

That's about all! As always, I'd love to hear any thoughts, critiques, and feedback.

Cheers!

_________

EDGES

Power Points
    Requirements:
    Novice, Arcane Background (any)
    Increases the Power Point Threshold by 2. This Edge may be taken once per Rank. At Legenadary, it can be taken every other Advance.

Power Surge
    Requirements:
    Wild Card, Novice, Arcane Background (any), [Arcane Skill] d8+
    When a Joker is drawn for the character's Action Card, their Power Point Threshold is increased by 2 until the end of their turn.
    Last edited by Deskepticon; 09-17-2020, 05:18 AM.

I think I will suggest this in my group. Sounds interesting and reminds me a bit on the Shadowrun5 system (drain).

Have you thought about the possibility to resist Fatigue? You wrote that "flashy powers become a gamble", but as written Fatigue is very predictable. I am thinking that "WIL-(PP-PPT)" may be used. That is, when casting a PP 4 power with a PPT 2, the caster have to roll WIL -2. Not sure if this is Fast & Furious, though. However, it adds a component of unpredictability and risk. That said, I still wouldn't roll if PP is below PPT.

I wouldn't use this system because it is less bookkeeping (more math is involved), but because it may give a different feeling to casting powers.

Comment

Originally posted by Corax View Post
      I think I will suggest this in my group. Sounds interesting and reminds me a bit on the Shadowrun5 system (drain).
      Thanks!
      If you playtest it, please let me know how it goes. Feel free to tweak it to see what works better. I'm 100% ameniable to altering things.

Have you thought about the possibility to resist Fatigue? You wrote that "flashy powers become a gamble", but as written Fatigue is very predictable. I am thinking that "WIL-(PP-PPT)" may be used. That is, when casting a PP 4 power with a PPT 2, the caster have to roll WIL -2. Not sure if this is Fast & Furious, though. However, it adds a component of unpredictability and risk. That said, I still wouldn't roll if PP is below PPT.
      Ohh, Shadowrun... I've got a love/hate with their system.
      But to the point, I HAD thought about a "resistance" roll, but decided against it. I really want to use as few rolls as possible, encouraging tactical play rather than going big and hoping for a lucky roll. But as I said above, give a try if you want and let me know how it works.

As for my comment about "flashy powers" (i.e., high PP cost), I meant it would be a gamble to use them since the Fatigue would affect everything else they do afterward. In other words, the power is not the gamble, the tactic of using it is.

I wouldn't use this system because it is less bookkeeping (more math is involved), but because it may give a different feeling to casting powers.
      Yeah, it would definitely provide a different feel. There is certainly some power-creep involved since at Veteran Rank mages can sling around 7 PP bolts with impunity. GMs would need to figure out how to deal with that (Arcane Resistance, dispel, etc.). The extra math is comparable to calculating raises, and it only applies if the character is exceeding their Threshold so it won't happen more than three times per combat (because then the character is Incap).

Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated.

Comment

Something you might try is making PPT a derived stat in a high magic type of setting. Make PPT = 2 + (half of Spellcasting linked attribute). It can be further modified by the Power Points Edge, but that gives you a bigger threshold.

The static base of 2 feels almost punitive severely limits the "cool" factor of powers. If you link there base threshold to their core ability (generally Smarts), it feels more FFF to me.

Comment

• Deskepticon
          Deskepticon commented
          Editing a comment
          The static progression of the PP Threshold was a deliberate decision. The feeling of being punitive is a consequence, but a necessary one. It encourages (forces) magic uses to invest in their ability to get good at it. Right out the gate, mages can take Power Points (Novice) and use 3d6 bolts whenever they want. That's nothing to sneeze at.

Tying PPT to an attribute would provide an huge amount of potential, with much less accountability. That may work for very high-level campaigns (perhaps an alternative to the SPC), but for the average "pulpy" Savage setting, I think it may be too much.

Good suggestion, though! Definitely something to put on the "options" pile.

Originally posted by Deskepticon View Post
        That's about all! As always, I'd love to hear any thoughts, critiques, and feedback.
        Neat!

Pros:
        • No "ammunition" to track.
        • Potentially unlimited power use.
        • Easy to scale up to higher-power settings. Just increase the base Power Point Threshold.
        • Real drawbacks to overreaching. Drawbacks that stack, and scale for players that reach too far.
        • Power maintenance is trivial.
        Cons
        • There is no reason to use a basic bolt when you get a PPT of 4+. You should always use power modifiers to get it to at least 3 points (Damage, or AP x2, or Fatigue, etc.). If you don't then you're wasting your ability. The same holds true for every power.
        • Forced world-building. Power use can cause death, therefore powers have to have a "can kill the user" component to the trappings.
        • The x4 = Death clause means that numerous powers (or power + modifier) have a secondary Rank requirement to not be Incapacitated (or killed) by using the power.
        It definitely needs play testing but it does have the potential to be good. Certainly more playable than No Power Points.
        Last edited by ValhallaGH; 09-16-2020, 07:00 PM.
        I hope you find the above post useful. And not insulting, because I was trying to be helpful, not insulting; being a pedantic jerk, that isn't always clear.

Comment

• Corax
          Corax commented
          Editing a comment
          I'd say the Death clause is really just a way to prevent abuse. Without, you could charge up your powers "infinitively". I mean, no more than 2 Fatigue + Incap, right? Saying it's not possible to cast more than 3xPPT would also be credible. But death clause would also enable a really cool last action of the hero. I guess no one let her character die by purpose for less,would you?

• ValhallaGH
          ValhallaGH commented
          Editing a comment
          I'm removing my objection to the name. Power Points is the one place Savage Worlds consistently uses initialisms, and PPT is no more jarring than PP.

• ValhallaGH
          ValhallaGH commented
          Editing a comment
          Corax It's not a limit, just a consequence. At x3 or higher, the character is Incapacitated and can be killed with a Finishing Move by any character. The guaranteed death of x4 is mostly flavor text, at that point; characters are equally SOL at x3 or higher.
          It's not a deal-breaker for the rules, but it is a potential downside, which is why I put it on the Cons list.

I fully support upgrading the NPP, so in the spirit of making this work as well as possible i have a few questions
        How does this system work with maintaining powers?
        Will the existing power edges be modified to function in this system? (How would these work? Rapid Recharge work, Power Surge, Holy Warrior, Channeling just for starters)
        Under this system, Backlash now seems catastrophic, rather than damaging, should that be changed and if so how?

liking how this is shaping up!

Comment

• ValhallaGH
          ValhallaGH commented
          Editing a comment
          Not sure how Backlash is "catastrophic". It causes a level of Fatigue, which is exactly as bad as it always was.

• MadArchivist
          MadArchivist commented
          Editing a comment
          ValhallaGH but now fatigue can be gained through both casting and failing to cast, that changes things from having X Power Points and the ability to soak 2 crit failures in a row to now having the possibility to instantly incap yourself by crit failing an expensive spell. That’s what i mean by catastrophic.

• ValhallaGH
          ValhallaGH commented
          Editing a comment
          Ah! Okay, I can see why you'd say that.
          The thing about Backlash is that it is an addition to the regular Failure. A failed power activation only costs 1 PP, so the only Fatigue will be from Backlash.
          But yeah, I can totally see that fear.

Always an honor to get feedback from your perspective.
        Originally posted by ValhallaGH View Post
        Pros:
        • No "ammunition" to track.
        • Potentially unlimited power use.
        • Easy to scale up to higher-power settings. Just increase the base Power Point Threshold.
        • Real drawbacks to overreaching. Drawbacks that stack, and scale for players that reach too far.
        Consider it a feature, not a bug.

Cons
        There is no reason to use a basic bolt when you get a PPT of 4+. You should always use power modifiers to get it to at least 3 points (Damage, or AP x2, or Fatigue, etc.). If you don't then you're wasting your ability. The same holds true for every power.
        This is the one area that I have major concerns over too. I toyed around with having two different Thresholds, each demarcating when Fatigue, etc. occurs, but in preliminary testing it felt very muddy and confusing. I'm hoping the community can help iron-out these rough spots, because frankly I'm at a loss.

[*]Forced world-building. Power use can cause death, therefore powers have to have a "can kill the user" component to the trappings.[*]The x4 = Death clause means that numerous powers (or power + modifier) have a secondary Rank requirement to not be Incapacitated (or killed) by using the power.
        For background info, I came up with this system about eight months ago while re-reading The Wheel of Time. I have a conversion in the wings, but the magic system (this one!) is holding up it's release. To be fair, it's also much more involved, with Edges and extra rules; the one presented here is just the framework.

With that said, death from overreaching is a real thing in the WoT universe. And as Corax corrected noted, it's also a way to mitigate abuse. There is no upper limit to PP costs in this system, just a limit to what a character can safely handle. A Novice mage could potentially give 100 troops protection, but he'd burn himself to cinder in the process.

But you are absolutely correct that "death" is a flavor trapping. I see no issues scaling back to the 3× mark and having extremely high cost powers result in Incapacitation only.

Power maintenance is trivial.
        As presented above, it is. In the WoT conversion I reduced all non-Instant durations to 1 round and made maintenance a free action. For each maintained power a +1 PP penalty was imposed on subsequent powers, making them more expensive and potentially deadly. (There is also a whole section on "tying off" powers, essentially making the permanent. They no longer count as being maintained, but any other channeler can "untie" that power and assume control of it.)

It definitely needs play testing but it does have the potential to be good. Certainly more playable than No Power Points.
        Thanks!
        I appreciate it.

Comment

Power maintenance is definitely the plus / minus aspect of this rule. Being able to maintain powers until dispel, Backlash, or you turn it off is the big appeal of No Power Points, and this maintains that feature. Having buff magic continuously active is the major game imbalance concern of No Power Points.
          Clearly you've considered that for WoT, but that aspect isn't a part of the presented rule.

One more for the "con" column:
          The Additional Recipients power modifier is only for emergency use. Better to cast protection seven times to affect you and your six friends than to overreach to eight Power Points with Additional Recipients. That Novice mage could just spend an hour casting protection on all 100 troops and then maintain the powers for the rest of the day.
          I hope you find the above post useful. And not insulting, because I was trying to be helpful, not insulting; being a pedantic jerk, that isn't always clear.

Comment

• Deskepticon
            Deskepticon commented
            Editing a comment
            Damned if you do, damned if you don't!

There is always the risk of Crit Failing one of those eight rolls, meaning the mage needs to start buffing all over again at -1 now. That is exponentially more likely with 100 targets.

I'm not excusing the flaw in the system. It certainly is a concern. I'm thinking the best place to look for a fix is in delineating between "one power that affects eight targets" and "eight powers that affect one target." What about grouping maintenance costs into a bundle? So if you have four maintained powers at the start of your turn, it would cost 4 PP to keep them active. Collectively they can impose a "drain" effect, potentially causing Fatigue at the start of the character's turn.

• ValhallaGH
            ValhallaGH commented
            Editing a comment
            Deskepticon Having to maintain each power, even with normal duration, is a nice way to 'soft cap' active buffs. The Novice mage with PPT 4 cannot safely maintain more than three powers. A Legendary Wizard can have a dozen maintained powers for small effort. Which I like.

I don't like maintenance affecting new castings, as someone suggested. That adds too much complication to an otherwise simple system, and has the effect of turning magic into either enhancements or in-combat effects.

• Deskepticon
            Deskepticon commented
            Editing a comment
            Having to maintain each power, even with normal duration, is a nice way to 'soft cap' active buffs. The Novice mage with PPT 4 cannot safely maintain more than three powers. A Legendary Wizard can have a dozen maintained powers for small effort. Which I like.
            If I'm understanding you correctly, you're supporting the idea of "grouping" maintenance costs, while also suggesting to apply maintenance to base durations (effectively treating non-Instant durations as "1 round").

If I got that right, then I like that too.

I don't like maintenance affecting new castings, as someone suggested.
            That someone was me! :haha:
            Adding +1pp to subsequent powers was how I did it in the WoT conversion. But after this conversation I think I will change that. "Bundling" maintenance costs is easier and achieves roughly the same goal.

Originally posted by MadArchivist View Post
          I fully support upgrading the NPP, so in the spirit of making this work as well as possible i have a few questions
          How does this system work with maintaining powers?
          Will the existing power edges be modified to function in this system? (How would these work? Rapid Recharge work, Power Surge, Holy Warrior, Channeling just for starters)
          Under this system, Backlash now seems catastrophic, rather than damaging, should that be changed and if so how?

liking how this is shaping up!
          Thanks!

Most of the existing Power Edges are not compatible with this system. I do have a number of custom Edges that I wrote up, and I'll post them when I get a chance.

As for power maintenance, it works exactly as written in the Adventure Edition rulebook: use the power's listed Duration and "spend" 1 PP to extend it. Incidentally, this means power maintenance is trivial, so I offered an alternative (see Post #7 above).

Backlash is unaltered. It causes Fatigue and ends all active powers.
          But power failure probably needs explaining. A failed power costs 1 PP, not the power's initial cost, so failing a power under this system has no penalty other than a lost turn (i.e., the 1 PP is below even the base Threshold of 2).

And while I'm here, Shorting works normally too. A character can reduce the power's potential to cause Fatigue at the risk of making it harder to cast.

Comment

• MadArchivist
            MadArchivist commented
            Editing a comment
            Nice, i like the shorting thing, in this context it makes shorting way more compelling as an option.
            Looking forward to seeing the new edges!

• Deskepticon
            Deskepticon commented
            Editing a comment
            MadArchivist "Looking forward to seeing the new edges!"

Welp, you'll probably be disappointed.
            Turns out most of the custom Edges I have are very specific to the setting I wrote this system for. I added the ones that work to the OP.

Upon further review, I've determined that "most" of the core Edges actually work fine. Channeling can function as written. Extra Effort, Gadgeteer, Mentalist, and Wizard shouldn't have any issues. For obvious reasons, Rapid Recharge simply isn't going to work, and Soul Drain would be redundant. Concentration would need to wait until the power maintenance concerns are addressed, and Holy Warrior probably should be revised.

There are some interesting ideas above. So, as I understand it, the goal is for as little book keeping as possible. And the problem seems to be that a flat threshold value, while easy, encourages higher point spells if you have a higher threshold.

An idea that I have used a bit in the past for some tracking is inspiration for the following:

1. Have the threshold be a die rating. This makes it become a Trait.
          2. Apply the Power Point cost like it is damage, but it causes Fatigue. I would maybe add it to a base of 2, or possibly double the base power point cost (but not the modifiers).
          3. Roll the Threshold die as a Trait roll that is effectively Soaking the Fatigue from casting.

This would keep the lower spells easy and low risk, while higher Power Point spells are, as mentioned above, risky.
          Last edited by SeeleyOne; 09-16-2020, 11:40 PM.

Comment

• ValhallaGH
            ValhallaGH commented
            Editing a comment
            Yeah, power using Extras is one of those situations that makes me want to use some rule to not track power points. But they fit the story, or increase the threat without number bloat, so I use them when it makes sense. But tracking all those PP is a pain.
            Maybe the powers are special abilities that they can just use, or they have a 5E-style recharge , or you just ignore Power Points, or treat it like ammo levels, or you track all the points. Whatever you do, it's just annoying enough to make me sympathize with NPP fans.

• SeeleyOne
            SeeleyOne commented
            Editing a comment
            When I posted this idea it was mostly just to maybe get Desketicon to think of something. Sometimes when you hear another idea it helps you go on a better tangent in your own ideas. Even though it is tangent from his ideas, veering in a different direction, it can help. That is what I do with my own work in the workplace and that of others. A different perspective might be all that it took to get you to think of something better.

However, I have been playing with some of the particulars of my suggestion and I am thinking that I will try it in my next campaign. I will post more in a different thread,

• Deskepticon
            Deskepticon commented
            Editing a comment
            Sometimes when you hear another idea it helps you go on a better tangent in your own ideas.
            Absolutely!
            That was indeed my hope. As I mentioned previously I do take every suggestion seriously.

Originally posted by myself
          Having to maintain each power, even with normal duration, is a nice way to 'soft cap' active buffs. The Novice mage with PPT 4 cannot safely maintain more than three powers. A Legendary Wizard can have a dozen maintained powers for small effort. Which I like.
          Originally posted by Deskepticon
          If I'm understanding you correctly, you're supporting the idea of "grouping" maintenance costs, while also suggesting to apply maintenance to base durations (effectively treating non-Instant durations as "1 round").

If I got that right, then I like that too.
          Not quite.
          For ease of use, I'm suggesting shifting all those maintenance costs to the same time. Even with Concentration (and most powers have duration 10 rounds), that's still 1 PP per maintained power once a minute. So that mage with PPT 4 could only safely maintain three powers.
          There's no need to change the duration of powers, though you certainly could.

Aside: Did you mean to delete the "can take infinitely at Legendary" clause from the Power Points Edge? Even reduced to +1 PPT, that would still be worthwhile for many casters (especially healers).

Comment

Originally posted by SeeleyOne View Post
            There are some interesting ideas above. So, as I understand it, the goal is for as little book keeping as possible. And the problem seems to be that a flat threshold value, while easy, encourages higher point spells if you have a higher threshold.
            Thank you!
            Yes, the design goals are 1) as little book-keeping as possible, and b) as few frivolous die rolls as possible.

I wouldn't say the power-creep is so much a "problem," more of a concern Game Masters need to be aware of. There are still ways a GM can curb abuse. But any suggestions to address that concern, while adhering to the above design philosophy, are very much welcomed.

1. Have the threshold be a die rating. This makes it become a Trait.
            2. Apply the Power Point cost like it is damage, but it causes Fatigue. I would maybe add it to a base of 2, or possibly double the base power point cost (but not the modifiers).
            3. Roll the Threshold die as a Trait roll that is effectively Soaking the Fatigue from casting.

This would keep the lower spells easy and low risk, while higher Power Point spells are, as mentioned above, risky.
            This is practically a whole new system, rather than a commentary on the OP, but that's cool! It would address the power-creep, but I'm not a fan of the approach.

Using a die type for PPT provides a base Threshold of 4, which isn't a big deal since a Novice can attain that at char-gen under the OP system. But how is the die increased? If a Novice can start with d12, then that can be unbalancing. If they can't raise it above d4 until Seasoned, then resisting even simple powers is a risk.

When you say apply PP like damage, do you mean compare it to Toughness? Compare it the Threshold die?Or do you mean use the PP total as a Target Number for the Threshold Die? There's some missing information here. Either way, I'm not big on the idea of arbitrarily doubling the PP cost, or adding a base +2, just to make it appropriately challenging. It's just extra steps to get to the same place.

I truly appreciate the input, and I wanted to show you that I took this suggestion seriously and didn't just dismiss it without consideration. But in the end there were too many steps for it to meet my design goals.

Comment

Originally posted by ValhallaGH View Post
              Not quite.
              For ease of use, I'm suggesting shifting all those maintenance costs to the same time. Even with Concentration (and most powers have duration 10 rounds), that's still 1 PP per maintained power once a minute. So that mage with PPT 4 could only safely maintain three powers.
              There's no need to change the duration of powers, though you certainly could.
              Apologies, I'm still not following.
              Can you put it in a play-by-play example?

Aside: Did you mean to delete the "can take infinitely at Legendary" clause from the Power Points Edge? Even reduced to +1 PPT, that would still be worthwhile for many casters (especially healers).
              Nah, that was an oversight. Thanks for catching it!

Comment

• steelbrok
                steelbrok commented
                Editing a comment
                If I understand correctly the let's say our PPT6 mage finds himself in a long melee. During the fight he's cast Deflection, Protection and Boost Fighting on himself and has had to maintain them all (so 3 PP normally). Each maintained power uses one slot of his PPT so with his 3 maintained powers he can only safely use 2PP spells.

You're welcome.
              Originally posted by Deskepticon View Post
              Apologies, I'm still not following.
              Can you put it in a play-by-play example?
              Sure. Steve the Swordsage has PPT 6.
              Steve expects to be ambushed or challenged at least twice today, so he casts deflection and protection (with More Armor) at the start of his day. At 3 and 2 points, respectively, those are no problem for him to cast, and two powers is no trouble to maintain.
              The first ambush strikes and Steve decides that smite is needed to overcome the heavy steel plate his foe is wearing. So he activates smite with AP x2, gets a Raise, and deals +4 damage with AP 4. That's a great casting and Steve kind of wants to keep it going so he adds a third maintained power. So, every 10 rounds (thanks Concentration!) Steve has to be able to "pay" 3 PP to maintain his active powers.
              Just before lunch time, Steve is openly challenged by a sword master who is actually worthy of the name. So Steve activates boost Trait for Fighting and again for Vigor. It's a long fight, and Steve is now maintaining five powers. At the end, Steve stands triumphant and is gracious to a worthy foe (and potential student).
              Since he's already got them up, Steve decides to just keep maintaining both boost Trait powers.
              An hour before sunset Steve trips the sunset ambush of 11 soldiers. A warlord sent a full line (10 men) of veteran heavy troops lead by a rising star Lieutenant to kill Steve. Steve reaches deep into his bag of tricks for speed with Quickness and gets to fighting. After ten rounds, the Lieutenant is dead and so are most of the troops, but the last two stand resolute. They attack and Steve has to let go of speed because he can't afford to maintain a sixth power. At the beginning of round 11, Steve chooses to maintain five powers, which costs 5 PP, just within the limits of his PPT 6, and hopes it's enough to finish this fight.

Does that clarify?

Comment

• Deskepticon
                Deskepticon commented
                Editing a comment
                Superbly!

So a character's PPT determines how many powers can be maintained at once (by proxy of their maintenance cost). But are you proposing it's a hard limit? Suppose Steve never dropped speed and had to "pay" 6 PP on round 11... would that cause Fatigue per the standard rule, or is it simply out of the question?

(For what it's worth, I think we're mostly on the same page here. We've just been talking passed each other.)

• ValhallaGH
                ValhallaGH commented
                Editing a comment
                If a caster wants to take Fatigue to maintain too many powers then they can. That's why I called it a 'soft cap' when I first mentioned it. Players can go passed that but they have to suffer the consequences.

Hello friends! I think it's great you want to tweak that rule to make it cooler and as compatible with the book as possible.

Regarding fatigue, have you tried adding any amount of pp higher than the character's threshold as a penalty to the roll? (and if possible subtract it from the roll on the dynamic backlash table) Although said like that it looks like the current rule. If we look at it from another angle where to take the edge Power Points it would work like Marksman ignoring a certain amount of penalty. And that's why this approach may not be the one you want. I love wheel of time. I hope you share your conversion with us

Comment

• ValhallaGH
                ValhallaGH commented
                Editing a comment
                What benefits do you think / expect penalizing the arcane skill roll would provide?
                I ask, because penalties are added complication that should be avoided if a simpler consequence is available.

• enmel
                enmel commented
                Editing a comment
                I originally thought it would be a good approach. To make some spells achievable occasionally, and making it more risky to cast a high cost spell (with the table without actually killing anyone) but after thinking about it I understand your point and agree that it goes against FFF. The amount of math added by what I proposed is bad.

But I do want to point out a problem. What prevents me from maintaining a power for 3 sessions without refreshing it? The beginning of each session would be a legendary wizard's buff party for all of his allies for the remainder of the session.

How about lowering the threshold for each power held? That would make sure that if you want to throw something strong you do not have your attention scattered, on the other hand it adds complexity.

The positive is that you can make an edge that skips this mechanic and the legendary magicians can maintain their buffs forever.
            Working...
            X