Special Monster Ability

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Special Monster Ability

One of my players likes to play characters that stab foes, and he rolls absurdly well (a 14 is a relatively low roll for him).

I was mulling over things I could do to make for an interesting challenge and had a sudden thought. What about an opponent like the female Judomaster?

Perfect Defense: This character cannot be hit by attacks that target the character, other than Finishing Moves. Area effects can still work.
    I would probably pair it with a Weakness that penalizes, or negates the use of, Evasion.

Reactions? Thoughts?
    I hope you find the above post useful. And not insulting, because I was trying to be helpful, not insulting; being a pedantic jerk, that isn't always clear.

How about changing cannot be hit by to cannot be damaged by?
    So the opponent could still be grappled and held down for someone else to make a Finishing Move

Comment

According to your link, she seems to be better modeled with an appropriately trapped version of invisibility to simply make it much harder to target and hit her.

Comment

It's similar in power to Invulnerable. It has the same "near-imperviousness" with tactical means to defeat it. As a monster ability, I think it's fine.

Good Luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Deskepticon View Post
          It's similar in power to Invulnerable. It has the same "near-imperviousness" with tactical means to defeat it. As a monster ability, I think it's fine.

Good Luck!
          This is more powerful. An Invulnerable creature can still be Shaken or Stunned by the things it's not vulnerable to. This one can't.

The greater problem in play is that it doesn't present itself as a special ability to be worked around. The aforementioned PC rolls his 14 and it misses, he's going to assume he just needs to roll higher to overcome an out-sized Parry. The Trappings, based on the exemplar we're given, wouldn't lead him to suspect anything else. By contrast, an Invulnerable creature is likely to try shrugging off (rolling Spirit or spending a Benny) to overcome non-Wounding damage, if the GM is giving reasonable narrative interpretation to the rules.

This also means the players can theoretically "Benny-out" the GM/monster so they can escape if they don't have the means to defeat it. As this ability lacks that option, a serious bruiser now has an easier time of it.

If all of these things are features, go with it. If they're bugs....

Comment

Originally posted by paladin2019 View Post

This is more powerful. An Invulnerable creature can still be Shaken or Stunned by the things it's not vulnerable to. This one can't.

The greater problem in play is that it doesn't present itself as a special ability to be worked around. The aforementioned PC rolls his 14 and it misses, he's going to assume he just needs to roll higher to overcome an out-sized Parry. The Trappings, based on the exemplar we're given, wouldn't lead him to suspect anything else. By contrast, an Invulnerable creature is likely to try shrugging off (rolling Spirit or spending a Benny) to overcome non-Wounding damage, if the GM is giving reasonable narrative interpretation to the rules.
            But isn't that what it comes down to: the GM doing their job and properly articulating the scene? The goal of the ability, it seems, is to make the target impossible to hit, not merely very difficult to hit. Otherwise, I'm sure Val would have simply given the recipient a higher Parry, and/or deflection bonus.

Whenever the GM adds such an ability to a creature, they need to make sure the players become aware of it reasonable soon (within the first two rounds). Any GM that sits there watching the players wiff turn after turn while silently smirking is a jerk.

For something like Judomaster's aversion field, the GM can say, "The target makes very little attempt to parry your blows, yet somehow the attack still misses." There's enough context there to let them know something unnatural is occuring, but doesn't come right out and say it.
            Last edited by Deskepticon; 06-26-2020, 03:41 PM.

Comment

Tests work just fine (they aren't attacks). Area effects work normally.
              Invulnerable is a good comparison.

The greater problem in play is that it doesn't present itself as a special ability to be worked around. The aforementioned PC rolls his 14 and it misses, he's going to assume he just needs to roll higher to overcome an out-sized Parry.
              That player is more likely to roll a 35. Even with the SPC, I'm not sure I can generate Parry 36. 14 isn't typical - 14 is a bad roll, a low bar.

By contrast, an Invulnerable creature is likely to try shrugging off (rolling Spirit or spending a Benny) to overcome non-Wounding damage, if the GM is giving reasonable narrative interpretation to the rules.
              This passage doesn't make sense to me. Would you please try explaining it a different way?
              I hope you find the above post useful. And not insulting, because I was trying to be helpful, not insulting; being a pedantic jerk, that isn't always clear.

Comment

Originally posted by ValhallaGH View Post
                This passage doesn't make sense to me. Would you please try explaining it a different way?
                Sure. The narrative effect of this ability, based on the exemplar, doesn't seem any different from a ridiculously high Parry. So in play from the players' side, it seems to me this would look no different than continuing the escalation of the one player's abnormally high Trait rolls vs finding something he can't hit.

Conversely, the narrative effect of coshing a werewolf with a Buick or turning on the lead hose would be to spend a moment Shaken and shaking that off. You know you hit him, you have a good idea what it should have done, but it just takes a moment to turn and face you dramatically or brush blood and bullet fragments away from already healed wounds. "So what, it's a werewolf and we didn't use silver." Now you have a thing they've never encountered with the same ability; the narrative effect should be similar. It's obvious something besides we're just not "rollin' good enuff" is at work and I don't know that the narrative cues for the new ability are there.

FWIW, Tests work just fine against Invulnerability, too. And I also think you've broken the game when a roll to hit is routinely 35....

Comment

Sure.
                  Not the part I was asking about, but since it was more relevant to to topic, I won't complain. Thanks!

Much like Invulnerability can have many trappings (regeneration, force fields, momentary intangibility, time manipulation, impenetrable skin, etc.), Perfect Defense has many possible trappings. Judomaster's power doesn't have any obvious trappings, leading to numerous amusing scenes of Wildcat sparring with her and failing to connect, but that's not unusual for the setting (Kryptonian flight has no visible trappings).
                  Shifting through space, manipulating time, reactive partial intangibility, force fields, "bad luck", etc. are possible trappings. Like any ability, the onus is on the GM to make it an interesting challenge. I've seen the same problem happen with Invulnerability a few times, especially in Hell On Earth where some things are just tough and others are Servitors.

And I also think you've broken the game when a roll to hit is routinely 35....
                  Broken? Not really. Warped? Oh yeah. It's led to some interesting GM efforts, especially trying to not overwhelm players that roll normally.

Comment

Working...
                  X