Combat Edge based on failed Taunt rolls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Combat Edge based on failed Taunt rolls

I recently struck with the concept for a possible Edge. The basic idea is that when someone attempts a Taunt roll against a cvharacter with this Edge and fails, the one who was taunted gets some sort of combat bonus against the taunter for the rest of the combat, and perhaps a larger bonus in the case of a Critical Failure. So far, I haven't decided on a name or what sort of bonus would be most appropriate. Any suggestions?
    You're rational, sir. It's only us crazy people who get to swap out realities on a whim.

For the name, "A Sharp Retort." For effects, I'm inclined to give the same benefit as Counterattack. I also think anything that lasts until the end of the combat is too much benefit without knowing what you intend for Requirements, especially if this is to be a base tier Edge (Brawler vs. Bruiser, for example).

Comment

The following tropes are the main inspiration.

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.p...ullyingADragon

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.p...gingTheMonster
      You're rational, sir. It's only us crazy people who get to swap out realities on a whim.

Comment

Originally posted by Sitting Duck View Post
        I recently struck with the concept for a possible Edge. The basic idea is that when someone attempts a Taunt roll against a cvharacter with this Edge and fails, the one who was taunted gets some sort of combat bonus against the taunter for the rest of the combat, and perhaps a larger bonus in the case of a Critical Failure. So far, I haven't decided on a name or what sort of bonus would be most appropriate. Any suggestions?
        Isn't this basically the same ground as the Retort social edge on page 51?
        If a character with Retort gets a raise when
        resisting an Intimidation or Taunt Test, the
        foe is Distracted.
        I hope you find the above post useful. And not insulting, because I was trying to be helpful, not insulting; being a pedantic jerk, that isn't always clear.

Comment

• dentris
          dentris commented
          Editing a comment
          My thought exactly. Maybe add an improved version where the foe can either be Distracted or Vulnerable, since the latter is more helpful as an offensive tool.

Do you have the mechanics for this already written out?

If not, I'd suggest creating an Improved version of Retort ("A Sharp Retort" has a nice ring to it) that makes the target Vulnerable as well as Distracted... that's essentially a combat bonus. I'm not sure I would allow for bonuses that last for the whole combat though. That seems a bridge too far.

Comment

I hope you folks don't take it the wrong way when I say that think some of you may be missing the thematic point. The premise in question is when some mouthy chump thinks to use mocking words to reduce their target to spluttering in impotent rage (trappings for Distracted or Vulnerable), but instead provokes a very potent rage and gets beaten to a bloody pulp.

On further reflection, a variant of Counterattack as suggested by Paladin2019 does seem the best way to go. Though for a name I'm thinking Punchy Retort.

Comment

• ValhallaGH
            ValhallaGH commented
            Editing a comment
            So ... you want an Edge that causes failed Taunts to trigger Berserk?

• dentris
            dentris commented
            Editing a comment
            Just being Vulnerable opens up the possibility of being beaten to a pulp. No need for a more complex game mechanic.

Although an Imprved Berserk Edge that allows it to trigger from a Failed Test is an interesting take (in reverse) to what you are looking for.

• Sitting Duck
            Sitting Duck commented
            Editing a comment
            @ValhallaGH: While thematically similar, Berserk is too unfocused for what I have in mind. See below.

Here's an initial write up.

Punchy Retort
          Requirements: Seasoned, Spirit d8
          Anyone who thinks to belittle you into submission is often in for a world of pain. After successfully resisting a Taunt Test, the character with this Edge gets a Free Attack against the person who issued the Taunt.

Comment

• Deskepticon
            Deskepticon commented
            Editing a comment
            This looks like an alternate (and weaker) version of core Retort.

Retort, a Novice Edge, works at any range and bestows an automatic effect (Distracted). By constrast, Punchy Retort requires the Taunter be within melee reach AND requires an attack that can still miss... all at Seasoned Rank.

Dropping it down to Novice would help with balancing this. The range requirement is somewhat offset by the potentially greater effect an attack would have.

Punchy Retort
          Requirements: Seasoned, Spirit d8
          Anyone who thinks to belittle you into submission is often in for a world of pain. After successfully resisting a Taunt Test, the character with this Edge gets a Free Attack against the person who issued the Taunt.
          That's maybe half as good as First Strike, a Novice Edge. Might be worse than that, since it requires a) the foe to use a Taunt test, b) the foe to be within attacking range; on the plus side this allows Free Attacks when Stunned, Shaken, at range, many times per round, etc. since it doesn't have any such restrictions.
          I hope you find the above post useful. And not insulting, because I was trying to be helpful, not insulting; being a pedantic jerk, that isn't always clear.

Comment

Could this simply be an effect for a critical failure on a Taunt test? No need for an Edge or anything. If someone fumbles a Test, a GM is definitively in his right to get creative and a Free attack against the ''Taunter'' appears good.

Same effect, simpler mechanic.

Comment

• Deskepticon
              Deskepticon commented
              Editing a comment
              That would have the same effect, but not the same thematic feel. As I understand it, the theme is to put the onus on the defender, not the one who Taunts.

That's why I commented above that the proposed Edge is mostly a reskin of core Retort. In the core Edge, the defender "retorts" with a wittier comeback than the initial Taunt, throwing the person for a loop. Punchy Retort (as the name suggests) means the defender responds with a sucker punch instead.
          Working...
          X