New Edge: Savant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Edge: Savant

I come up with the idea while working on my Starpunk setting. Droids in this setting cannot raise their Smarts past d4. They are intentionally kept stupid to prevent a droid revolt. However, they are still supposed to be good at their primary function. So I created Savant.

Savant
    Requirements: Novice
    The player chooses one Smarts skill which is no longer bound by the limits of the character’s Smarts. It may be raised higher than the character’s Smarts die for 1 skill point per die step instead of 2. This edge may only be taken once.

The Edge pays for itself if the droid raises the skill to d8, making it a good investment early on, especially if taken for a skill that will see a lot of use. However, it only unlocks the potential for cheaper Advancement, which might make it feel like a wasted Advance since it provides no immediate benefit.

It's a good Edge for the specific setting, but as a general Edge, I think Scholar would be a better choice. With all that said, maybe turning it into a custom Edge for droids would be a better way to go.

I would suggest allowing it to increase one Smarts-based skill by one step as soon as the Edge is taken, as well as making Advancement cheaper.

Comment

To be clear, your Android PC's are limited to d4 Smarts, correct? Why? And what compensation do they get for this?

On the why, this is a perfect hook for the character. It could be literally illegal. Secret is a perfect accompaniment to this, changing to Hunted or Wanted if discovered.

The biggest disconnect I have is if Weird Science is an available Arcane Background. Android creators sound like a great idea, but the Smarts limit cripples the range of their powers. I can see why society in general would want this, but it feeds back into a hook for the character.

Comment

• ValhallaGH
        ValhallaGH commented
        Editing a comment
        There is no Hunted hindrance.

for my Starfly setting Androids are Braked (-2 to all smarts rolls)
      There is an unbraked edge that removes this penalty but it comes with the Secret or Waned hindrances built in

Comment

Building off my previous post, here's how I think I would construct the Edge. It's only a suggestion, so make of it what ou will.

Dedicated Task
        Requirements:
        Novice, Droid, d6+ in choosen skill
        Choose one Smarts-based skill. It is increased by one die step and henceforth is now considered to be below it's linked attribute for the purposes of Advancement.

Design goal: Since Smarts is locked in at d4, increasing the skill normally or taking the Edge (which also increases it) have the same cost. To cover the benefit of "unbridling" the skill, it must be d6+ to qualify for the Edge. This means the character would need to have already invested a full Advance into the skill first.

If taken at its earlist possibility (when the skill is at d6), and assuming the character plans on raising it to d12, the Edge will essentially give the droid a free Advance.

Alternatively, it could be used as a Racial Ability applied to all droids. Providing the skill at d6 plus the "unbridling," I'd probably value the package at +3.

Comment

Savant isn't just useful for droids. What if someone wanted to play a low intelligence character with a really high tactics, languages, or common knowledge?

Comment

Originally posted by Vinzent View Post
            Savant isn't just useful for droids. What if someone wanted to play a low intelligence character with a really high tactics, languages, or common knowledge?
            I understand. It's a simple matter to just drop "Droid" from the requirement list. I only included it because I was pitching it as a custom setting Edge. Any thoughts on the mechanics of the version I presented?

Comment

Originally posted by Deskepticon View Post
              Any thoughts on the mechanics of the version I presented?
              It feels like a trap. It isn't but it only balances out across multiple advances, and only if taken early, so it feels like a trap.

Also, look at the opposite situation. A character with skill d12. Is the Edge supposed to raise them to d12+1? Because it currently does.
              I hope you find the above post useful. And not insulting, because I was trying to be helpful, not insulting; being a pedantic jerk, that isn't always clear.

Comment

Originally posted by ValhallaGH View Post

It feels like a trap. It isn't but it only balances out across multiple advances, and only if taken early, so it feels like a trap.

Also, look at the opposite situation. A character with skill d12. Is the Edge supposed to raise them to d12+1? Because it currently does.
                Thanks.

I'm inclined to say the Edge does/should increase the skill's natural maximum. The character at d12 would have dedicated 4 full Advances to get the skill to that point, so giving them a +1 for the cost of an Edge is not unreasonable; barring the Rank requirement, that's exactly what Expert/ Professional do.

Conversely, the early-taker can raise the skill to d12+1 for the equivalent of 3.5 Advances, taken over 5 Advancements. There is a +0.5 net gain in Advances for each die step before d12. This can cause a "technical" imbalancement with the other players, assuming the "savant" makes full use of the Edge.

...but other, existing Edges have that same issue. Feint, when taken by an optimized fighter, pays for itself multiple times over.

Comment

I'm inclined to say the Edge does/should increase the skill's natural maximum. The character at d12 would have dedicated 4 full Advances to get the skill to that point,
                  Why? He could have Smarts d12 to go along with ... Spellcasting d12.
                  Stack with Professional and Expert for d12+3 arcane skill.
                  I hope you find the above post useful. And not insulting, because I was trying to be helpful, not insulting; being a pedantic jerk, that isn't always clear.

Comment

Originally posted by ValhallaGH View Post
                    Why? He could have Smarts d12 to go along with ... Spellcasting d12.
                    Stack with Professional and Expert for d12+3 arcane skill.
                    Well, just so we're clear, I'm working from the assumption the character is hobbled in Smarts. It's why I specifically included Droid as a requirement, since the OP seems to mostly have them in mind. As a general Edge for just anyone, I would not allow it. In fact, I would probably only use the "unfettered" mechanic as a racial ability, not an Edge at all.

But the discussion is about an Edge, so that's what I'm sticking with. While I like the general concept of unfettering a skill, I'm not a fan of the "hollow" Edge presented in the OP. My attempt was to stick with the general premise, but give the Edge more of an immediate reward.

Comment

Dedicated Task
                      Requirements:
                      Novice, Droid, d6+ in choosen skill
                      Choose one Smarts-based skill. It is increased by one die step and henceforth is now considered to be below it's linked attribute for the purposes of Advancement.

Design goal: Since Smarts is locked in at d4, increasing the skill normally or taking the Edge (which also increases it) have the same cost. To cover the benefit of "unbridling" the skill, it must be d6+ to qualify for the Edge. This means the character would need to have already invested a full Advance into the skill first.

If taken at its earlist possibility (when the skill is at d6), and assuming the character plans on raising it to d12, the Edge will essentially give the droid a free Advance.
                      It feels a bit odd.
                      If taken when #skill is at d6, it raises it to a d8 and give the player the ability to raise it to a d12 in an advance sometime in the future, saving the player one advance to max out the skill.
                      If taken when #skill is at d8 or d10, than it is just as if the player raised the skill with advances as usual
                      No point in taking it when skill is at d12 (duh)

It essentially means that in the best case scenario it let the player skip the d10 part in a Smarts skill that the player took a d6 in. It isn't bad, just.... feels weird

Alternatively, it could be used as a Racial Ability applied to all droids. Providing the skill at d6 plus the "unbridling," I'd probably value the package at +3.
                      That is a great idea, and makes much more sense both in game design and setting logic (as far as we know)

Comment

I would add a little something benifiting the character immediatly in addition to the other benefits. I also included a possible "improved" version.

Savant
                        Requirements: Novice
                        The character is an expert in a specific field. Select a single non-arcane Smarts-based Skill. The character ignores one point of penalty when using this skill. It is also always considered to be below the character's Smarts die type for advancement purposes.

Prodigy
                        Requurements: Seasoned, Savant
                        The character ignores a second point of penalty when using his Savant Skill. He may also ignore the rank requirement of the Professional, Expert and Master Edges for it.

Comment

The character at d12 would have dedicated 4 full Advances to get the skill to that point...
                          Assuming that you cap character creation skill levels. A character with Savant and RAW could spend enough skill points to start with a d12 in that skill.

"I'm not a fan of the "hollow" Edge presented..."

Not sure what you mean by "hollow".

Comment

Originally posted by Vinzent View Post
                            Assuming that you cap character creation skill levels. A character with Savant and RAW could spend enough skill points to start with a d12 in that skill.
                            Sure. But dumping 9 skill points into a skill is still the equivalent of 4.5 Advances. My point wasn't about length of time, but rather total investment.

And the statement was made in response to taking Dedicated Task (my rendition of Savant) at d12. That would suggest post-chargen, since during chargen the character would have the Edge first, before any skills are purchased.

Not sure what you mean by "hollow".
                            Savant only unlocks the ability to "unfetter" a skill from its linked attribute. It provides no immediate benefit, and the character must wait until their next Advance to even make use of it. Any character that takes it will not be any stronger/better at anything until at least two Advances later when the Edge finally pays for itself.
                            Last edited by Deskepticon; 03-01-2020, 02:42 AM.

Comment

• Vinzent
                              Vinzent commented
                              Editing a comment
                              "Sure. But dumping 9 skill points into a skill is still the equivalent of 4.5 Advances."

At character creation it would cost 5 skill points, 4 if it's a core skill (my version).

"Savant only unlocks the ability to "unfetter" a skill from its linked attribute. It provides no immediate benefit, and the character must wait until their next Advance to even make use of it. Any character that takes it will not be any stronger/better at anything until at least two Advances later when the Edge finally pays for itself."

Yes I see, but that's only if you take it after character creation, or do not take advantage of the savings at character creation.
                              Would making this a background edge help?
                          Working...
                          X