catthulu for savage worlds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• catthulu for savage worlds

Does anybody know of an attempt to savage Call of Catthulu ? Or any attempt to make a Savage Worlds game where the players play cats in a human sized world?

Not that I am aware of.

It wouldn't be too difficult.

Make everyone play a cat race. Something like:
    • Nimble: Start with Agility d6.
    • Claws: Start with claws natural weapons that deal Strength damage. These claws do let them climb at Pace.
    • Size -3 (Very Small): Cats are very small creatures, with a -3 to Toughness. They have a Scale Modifier of -4.
    • No Thumbs: As the All Thumbs hindrance. Additionally, most technology and equipment is not designed for cats, so it can't be used effectively.
    • Weak: Cats are strong for their size but their size is not significant. Cats suffer -2 to all Strength rolls, including Strength based damage rolls.
    • Low Light Vision: Cats ignore penalties for Dim and Dark illumination.
    That should do it.
    Having Pace 6 makes them very fast for their size.
    Using the normal jumping rules lets them leap incredible distances, for their size.
    Last edited by ValhallaGH; 01-07-2020, 02:04 PM. Reason: Low Light Vision
    I hope you find the above post useful. And not insulting, because I was trying to be helpful, not insulting; being a pedantic jerk, that isn't always clear.

Comment

• Deskepticon
      Deskepticon commented
      Editing a comment
      Okay, a had a little more time to look over this build and there were a couple things I missed the first time through. After crunching it a bit, it looks under-powered. Here is the racial breakdown as I see it:

Nimble (+2) Just your typical attribute bump
      Claws (+1) This gives cats the Natural Weapon qualifier (which has no inherent value in SWADE) and automatic success at climb checks. Important to note, they DO NOT get an extra damage die here. Not only can this cause confusion with the official Claws ability, I need to question why the official version wasn't just used instead.
      Size -3 (-3) Okay, Size is a package deal. It adjusts Toughness, average Strength, and denotes Scale. Size -3 would indicate cats subtract 3 from Toughness, subtract 3 from Strength rolls, and are Very Small Scale (-4).
      No Thumbs (-1) An appropriately Trapped All Thumbs Hindrance. Might be slightly more severe if you read into the fluff.
      Weak (+1) Okay, at first this looks like a negative ability, until you note that Size is already supposed to adjust Strength. In effect, changing the penalty from -3 to -2 is a bonus. Now, I'm not sure if that was the intention here, but it can get confusing if a player already applies the Strength penalty from Size.
      Low Light Vision (+1) Standard ability.

All together, this values the race at +1, possibly lower depending on how punishing the GM wants to make No Thumbs.
      My suggestion would be to just replace the Claws ability with the official version. That would give them the extra point, avoid confusion, and allow them to deal more potent damage, since I think they are precluded from actually wielding weapons.

• ValhallaGH
      ValhallaGH commented
      Editing a comment
      Deskepticon Yeah, I didn't worry about point balance with this one. Since everyone is playing a cat, they just need to be balanced with each other.
      Size does not change Strength automatically. The Size Table on 179 has Typical Strength as a guideline; above Size -4, it is a recommendation, not a requirement. As for the racial abilities, the Size bonus on page 19 increases the Maximum Strength, not the starting Strength. The Size penalty on page 20 has no effect on Strength at all; not completely relevant since it can't go below Size -1, but still noteworthy.
      Regarding claws, I will point you towards the Cat, Small entry on page 181.

• Deskepticon
      Deskepticon commented
      Editing a comment
      I'll concede the point on Claws. The suggestion to change it was only meant to bring the race up to +2 and to bring it more in line with the racial ability list. In hindsight, the extra damage die would have been too much considering most of the threats the PCs would face would also have reduced Toughness.

As for Size and typical Strength, I'll note that the Size Table is largely a GM tool. Playable races are intended to remain squarely within Normal Scale, removing the need to provide rules on balancing larger or smaller characters. Allowing for larger or smaller characters necessarily requires some house rules.
      For one thing, the Scale modifier skews the usual point-value of Size; it's not longer +/-1. That -4 to be hit by Normal creatures (humans) is not insignificant, and countering that benefit with an automatic Strength penalty seems prudent. Factoring in a Strength penalty would bring the point-evaluation for Size back to tracking only Toughness.

Otherwise I would have to change my evaluation of Size to +0, and change Weak to -2.
      Incidentally, this totals the race out as +1 anyway, so nothing really changes in the long run. The point that everyone is playing a cat so balance is less of a concern is well-made, but I'm the kind of person who likes to create consistent mechanics so that if a setting wants to introduce a cat race right alongside humans it can.

I am thinking you mean Cthulhu.... In that case yes. However, now I am envisioning a large tentacled feline monstrosity. Now this HAS to be created. In the meantime....

check this link out!

https://www.google.com/search?q=Sava...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Comment

Sorry....my bad....you did mean Catthulu... Damn, and I thought I was going to be original.

Comment

So how could it interact with Barkham Horror?
        You're rational, sir. It's only us crazy people who get to swap out realities on a whim.

Comment

Originally posted by dentris
          I wouldn't give cats size or strength penalties. Instead make dogs large creatures and humans gargantuan ones. It's balanced that way in the original game.
          dentris makes a good point here. It would help with the immersion of playing a cat to view humans as some form of giant, rather than continually remind the player of how small cats are. I would disagree that dogs are automatically Large and humans are Gargantuan, though. If you just shift the Size of cats from -3 to 0, that would put most dogs at Size 2 (Normal Scale) and humans at Size 3 or 4 (just barely Large).

The interesting thing is, since every creature gets shifted on the Size Table, you would have "blank" slots on the lower end, which can be filled in by creatures like beetles, hornets, etc.; pests normally too small for humans to care about (except in swarms) but can potentially pose a risk for a smaller animal.
          Last edited by Deskepticon; 01-07-2020, 02:19 PM.

Comment

• dentris
            dentris commented
            Editing a comment
            I think at that point, it's a matter on how powerful you want humans to be. Size is not linear in Savage Worlds, but exponential. While a cat is only 3 size different from humans, they are still about 4 times as high and 16 times as heavy as cat (and that's being generous with the average). Gargantuan might have been too much, but from a cat's perspective, humans are just as big as a 25 feet tall, 2600 pounds heavy giant for us. Great White Sharks have similar proportion and are Size 4. I would personally go with Size 5, because I would want to make sure the players how unbelievably massive humans are compared to normal cats.

• Deskepticon
            Deskepticon commented
            Editing a comment
            dentris I'm cool with that.

Some great ideas here -- rescaling so Cats are size 0 seems a good idea

Comment

• Deskepticon
            Deskepticon commented
            Editing a comment
            This is how I would do it.
            I'm not going to fool you, though, there will be work to do first. Re-statting large dogs, humans, and even mice and rats is going to take a bit of time, but in the end I think players will feel immersed in the world. Especially if you described the scenes to them as being more grand and imposing. There's also a slight mechanical benefit when it comes to Scale. If the race was still Size -3, taking Brawny to play a tomcat---or Small to play a runt---would need to change the Scale of the character. Making the race Size 0 allows for slightly larger or slightly smaller characters without needing to mess around with further adjustments.

Both methods have their merits and their hurdles. While I have my preference, I don't think one is particularly better than the other.
            Whatever you decide, Good luck.

Just wanted to chime in about two rules that, IMHO, must become Setting Rules. I don't have my book with me, so the names are made up.

The ''Pen'' rule
          Whenever your cat carries something, it must do so with its mouth. The player must put a pen in his mouth as long as he carries the item. If the pen is ever removed, voluntarly or not, the cat is treated as having dropped the item.

Cats don't Meow
          Cats use a complex communication system, using a wide variety of non-verbal movements to express intent. Meowing is usually only used to grab the attention of two-footers because they are not intelligent enough to understand non-verbal words. Whenver two cats cannot see each other and try to communicate, they must use single words instead of sentences.

Comment

• Deskepticon
            Deskepticon commented
            Editing a comment
            Dude, I love these!
            The Pen Rule is especially clever.

• dentris
            dentris commented
            Editing a comment
            Deskepticon To be fair, something similar was in the original Cathulhu game. I just also find it so good it must be included in any conversion.

What do people think of using Zadmar's SIze rules from the excellent Savage Abilities rule suggestions which give a flat modifier for size. A house cat would be "Diminutive (-24): You're about the size of a house cat. -4 Strength, -4 Toughness, +2 to hit, -2 to be hit." So you can be strength d10 but you are actually d10-4 and characters can use Edges like Brawny etc (I don't know how to flag this post for Zadmar -- any advice would be great).

Comment

• Deskepticon
            Deskepticon commented
            Editing a comment
            It's worth to note those rules were written for a previous version of the game. SWADE now has the superior ruleset. Compare.

S.Abilities, Dimunitive: -4 Strength, -4 Toughness, +2 to hit, -2 to be hit
            SWADE, Very Little: d4-3 Strength (on average), -3 Toughness, +4 to hit, -4 to be hit

• dentris
            dentris commented
            Editing a comment
            You have to consider what, as a GM, you find most FFF. Having to tweak NPC stats so they all fit a new ''cats are size 0 with d6 on average on every attribute'' paradigm, or deal with weird attribute values and size interactions every single time.

I prefer to treat cats as the new ''human equivalent'' myself, but that's a personal preference.
        Working...
        X