Adapting MtA style magic to a mundanes setting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adapting MtA style magic to a mundanes setting

Happy 2020 y'all. Had an idea bouncing in the back of my mind for a horror/noir setting for a long time now. Deadlands noir rekindled my urge to do that project. Though similar, my setting idea has some key differences. Like instead of the alt history of Deadlands, I was thinking like a ravenloft-like purgatory with Lovecraftian inspired horrors. But the biggest difference was I wanted a MtA like magic system. I recently happened on this post https://www.pegforum.com/forum/savag...-savage-worlds and it helped, but its clearly not for a setting where nonmage pcs are working along side the mages. So I think I need to make some changes to power it down or (preferably) slow the progress of gaining power. I'm thinking one thing is requirements for taking the edge and for gaining ranks in arcana skills. One requirement I've thought of is Knowledge (Physics) d10 or d12 to take the edge at all. This is since in the setting magic is the act of subverting the laws of physics and forcing your will on reality. Theres other things I've thought of for slower progress but I'd like some options on the subject in general. Just to give me some different angles to explore. Thanks

Welcome to the forums!

Cool idea. Although I do not think I agree the high skill requirement. A d10 or d12 in Physics would be approaching a Master's Degree level of knowledge. A skill this high would include memorizing specific formulae, understanding esoteric theories, and probably even having a couple of your own theories published in peer-reviewed journals. Conversely, having a working knowledge of the laws of reality (enough to know how to subvert them) seems like it would be more intuitive and "ingrained". In order to fly, for example, you would need to know the basic principles of gravity, but not be able to calculate the precise gravitation forces within an open system. Creating a fireball would be an intuitive comparison between ambient temperatures, but not the specific heat index of the thing you are attempting to burn.
    You follow me?

That said, I would give the magic Edge a d8 Smarts requirement instead. That's slightly higher than the average human's understanding of physics and reality, but it doesn't require 6+ years of higher education. It's also a much lower investment on the player's part. A d12 skill is going to eat up 5 skill points, minimum! That's at least a third of a starting character's total skill point allotment, and that doesn't even include the fact they still need to buy dice in the arcane skill itself. That's going to be a heavy price to pay, so unless magic is a serious game-changer in the setting, I would scale back the requirement.

Hope you found this helpful.
    Cheers!

Comment

You can also make the Spellcasting roll take the lower of Spellcasting and Science traits

Comment

Working...
      X