Attack, Melee Power Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Attack, Melee Power Question

I know that the Super Powers Companion will be getting updated to SWADE at some point. My question concerns the Attack, Melee power. Will this Power start out doing Str+d4 at the base level like the Claws ability in SWADE with increased damage and AP being available as Power Modifiers? Or will it stay Str+d6 for the base level as it is?

Am I safe to assume you are looking for homebrew rules to this question, considering you posted in the Homebrew section?

Regardless, there's a few points to make first.

- The Claws ability in SWADE is valued at 2 points and adds +d4 "natural" damage and +2 Athletics (climbing). So the important takeaway here is that each increase in damage die type is worth 1 point.

- The Attack, Melee power in SPC is valued at 2 PP per level and gives the character a +d6 "natural" damage die. Each SPC Power Point is roughly equivalent to a racial build point, so gaining a damage die at d6 for 2pp is consistant with the core rules.

- There's also the concept of levels. For the Attack, Melee power, the first 2pp you spend buys you a d6 damage die. Each level, costing 2pp each, buys you another d6.

Now, to answer your question:
    Will this Power start out doing Str+d4 at the base level like the Claws ability in SWADE with increased damage and AP being available as Power Modifiers? Or will it stay Str+d6 for the base level as it is?
    This depends on its cost. The model of 1 PP = 1 build point is a really good foundation, and I don't see why PEG should change it. So to remain consistant with SWADE, 1pp would buy you one damage die type... meaning the power wouldn't really change much from how it currently works (2pp buys you two damage die types... or d6).

However, if you're looking for some homebrew rules, you could offer players some flexibility using the 1:1 exchange mentioned above. So spending 1pp buys a damage die of d4... 2pp buys a d6... 3pp buys a d8... etc.
    That first die sets the price-per-level for that power. So if a player wanted a super punch that dealt 4d8, that's four levels at 3pp a piece (or 12 PP total). They could choose the power a second time for 2d12, costing them 10pp (5ppĂ—2).

To prevent things from getting crazy, I would retain the level cap SPC implements, limiting the power to 5 levels. You don't want the player rolling 12d4 for 12pp. The cap is always 5dX.

Anyway, hope you found this useful.
    Cheers!
    Last edited by Deskepticon; 08-12-2019, 11:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BrotherGrrrimm View Post
      Or will it stay Str+d6 for the base level as it is?
      We don't know but it will probably stay as is.
      Some powers in the SPC need to be rewritten after the release of Adventure Edition. Additional Limbs, Extra Action, Stun, etc. The new action economy and new conditions pretty much requires it.
      The damaging and toughness boosting powers will probably get minimal changes. Damage still works the same, the Armor power is already 1 PP for +2 Armor, and Hardy just needs a price adjustment.

The Attack powers will probably emerge unchanged. If anything, changes will be in the form of new or rewritten modifiers (Focus seems to get redone with every iteration).
      I hope you find the above post useful. And not insulting, because I was trying to be helpful, not insulting; being a pedantic jerk, that isn't always clear.

Comment

I posted here because the Official Answers of Core & Companions section is still locked, and has been since November of last year, and also because I know that there are many intelligent people here that could provide good answers to my questions. Mostly this is me speculating on what the changes to SPC might look like, because I'm working on a homebrew setting and want to mirror SWADE fairly closely so there won't be as much to rejigger when the new SPC comes out.

Comment

Working...
        X