Using tarot cards as action deck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using tarot cards as action deck

Hi. Working on a homebrew setting with a modern arcane theme. Think shades of mage the awakening. But I thought it might be a cool idea to use tarot cards in place of standard playing cards for the action deck. Does anyone have any thoughts on this or done it? I mean if it's going to be a hassle of custom rule tweaks coolness be damned. I like to keep things simple. Thanks

Clubs are wands, spades are swords, coins or pentacles are diamonds, and cups are hearts.

The issue to decide is how to handle the major arcana.
    'But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked. 'Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: 'we're all mad here.'

The Order of the Dice... OF DOOM!

Comment

Full size tarot decks have 78 cards, compared to the standard 54 that Savage Worlds uses.
      That's 24 cards you need to assign equivalent values, and make sure your players can keep track of. And if you're using tarot cards then you want cool stuff to happen on the various Arcana, probably different stuff than the other Arcana.

Some old forum threads:
      http://archive.pegforum.com/viewtopi...404212#p404212
      http://archive.pegforum.com/viewtopi...253137#p253137
      http://archive.pegforum.com/viewtopi...352935#p352935

Personally, it seems like too much work for too little benefit. But you may disagree.

Good luck!
      I hope you find the above post useful. And not insulting, because I was trying to be helpful, not insulting; being a pedantic jerk, that isn't always clear.

Comment

I'm not familiar with the setting, but a cursory search seems to indicate that magic is a dangerous force to be meddling with.

A couple ideas that just popped into my head (these are't fleshed out, or even seriously thought about... they're just bare bones ideas):

--- Each of the Major Arcana is to treated as a Joker, but each one also triggers a Dynamic Backlash if the +2 is used. A player can forgo the +2 to avoid the Backlash (still treated as a Joker as far as initiative count is concerned).

--- Set the Major Arcana aside (i.e., not part of the main Action Deck) and use them in lieu of Conviction Tokens or Adventure Cards. Make a little graph that you can print out with details on what each card does.
        ________

Assuming the Major Arcana is kept separate, the Minor Arcana (Action Deck) would have have two additional cards (due to each suit having 14 cards rather than 13) and no Jokers. In this case, you might want to treat the Knights as the traditional Jack, with the Knave Cards as Jokers. That means four Jokers in the deck, which is actually okay and a lot of fun (I've used four-Joker decks a lot).

Anyway, good luck and have fun!

Comment

And if you can get a copy of it. Mage the Awakening actually has a Tarot deck they produced.
          According to my Copy...

The Mage Tarot
          Produced by White Wolf Game Studios (now Bankrupt and re-branded)
          WW4120
          ISBN 1-56504-440-1

It also has the World of Darkness tag on it.
          And it was Printed in Canada.

Now Something people who don't work with Tarot decks seem to overlook.
          Often the reader will seperate the Major Arcana from the deck.
          There are 22 Major Arcana and 56 Minor Arcana

So.. seperate the two Decks
          Minor Arcana has 4 suits, either the Paige or the Knight will = a Jack, the other is the Joker. As some people add two Jokers to the deck anyway This does not pose a problem.

Then you can Use the Major Arcana as a means of Prediction of the Future in the game... Tarot spreads could help with story arch or the like.
          Alternatively you could just use them as Bennies and if you did that, you could have them draw their own Bennie and then assign an additional bonus or negative with it based on which card was pulled.

Comment

More cards means you need more jokers. Instead of définitive jokers, let each players select three major Arcana from the deck. He treats them as jokers. You can also tie some sort of gameplay elements to them, like Hindrances, special abilities, racial abilities or something like that...

That actually gives me a lot of ideas, thanks. I'll try to put something together.

Edit: Disregarding arcane and Core skills, you have 22 skills in the core rules. Link each of these skills to one of the 22 Major Arcana. Each players select Three Major Arcana. The related skills become Core Skills (Free d4). When drawing one of your Three Major Arcana, treat them as Jokers.

Now, if you want to add a few weird mechanics, (especially if everyone are mages), add Spellcasting to the list of Core Skills. In addition, you can always spend 2 PP to add +1 to one of your Core Skills (which can be improved further by Edges). Finally, a Core Skills is always treated as lower than it's linked Attribute for advancement purposes.
            Last edited by dentris; 06-16-2019, 07:17 PM.

Comment

Personally, I wouldn't want to change the probability of jokers coming up, because I have sessions where one isn't drawn and some players get a thrill out of their appearance. If I were to use a Tarot deck I'd cull some of the cards to get it down to 54. I'd do that by omitting the court cards (Page - King) from the minor arcana for each suit and in their place include the major arcana cards 1 - 12 (Magician -to- Hanged Man), preserving the existing hierarchy. I'd then add The Fool and The Devil to fulfill the role of the 2 Jokers. After all, like the Joker in some card games, the Fool (aka the Excuse Oudler) is actually a wild card in the card game of Tarocchi/Tarot. There's no suit ranking in the card game of Tarocchi/Tarot, but what SavageErica suggested seems logical and what I'd go with.

The nice thing about doing it this way, is you maintain the same number of cards, still have 2 wild cards and you still have 12 major arcana if you want to intro any special play mechanics that hinge off of drawing one. There's also some interesting cards among the 1st 12; apart from the 5 temporal rulers (Magician - Hierophant), you also have The Lovers, The Chariot, The Hermit, Justice, Wheel of Fortune and Strength.
              Last edited by kronovan; 06-28-2019, 10:25 PM.

Comment

Yeah I deffinatly wouldnt want to add 22 different jokers.... Thats why My suggestion was to remove the Major arcana... A 52 Card Deck doesnt count the two Jokers bringing the deck to 54 then some people add two (so they have 4 jokers) bringing the deck to 56 which actually matches the Minor Arcana... and the best part is those 4 jokers would have suits associated to tell which was higher than the other. (Basically which Joker could interrupt the other Joker)

Comment

Originally posted by Fraser View Post
                  Yeah I deffinatly wouldnt want to add 22 different jokers.... Thats why My suggestion was to remove the Major arcana... A 52 Card Deck doesnt count the two Jokers bringing the deck to 54 then some people add two (so they have 4 jokers) bringing the deck to 56 which actually matches the Minor Arcana... and the best part is those 4 jokers would have suits associated to tell which was higher than the other. (Basically which Joker could interrupt the other Joker)
                  But then you're just playing with a four-Joker deck. Why even use Tarot cards if you aren't going to implement the Major Arcana in some way?

Comment

Originally posted by Deskepticon View Post

But then you're just playing with a four-Joker deck. Why even use Tarot cards if you aren't going to implement the Major Arcana in some way?

I did.... maybe you failed to see it up there...

Originally posted by Fraser View Post
                    Then you can Use the Major Arcana as a means of Prediction of the Future in the game... Tarot spreads could help with story arch or the like.
                    Alternatively you could just use them as Bennies and if you did that, you could have them draw their own Bennie and then assign an additional bonus or negative with it based on which card was pulled.

Comment

• Deskepticon
                      Deskepticon commented
                      Editing a comment
                      No, I saw that when you first posted it. I even Liked it because it was essentially the same thing I suggested (except for the role of the Major Arcana, which I actually like your idea for).

What threw me off here was your choice of "remove" instead of something more apt, like "separate", which made me think you changed your mind.
                  Working...
                  X