Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sniper Rifles

Hi,

I am fairly new to SW but like it a lot. One thing I am not that happy about is that most weapons all feel the same, so i thought about ways to make them feel different, without breaking the pace of the game. (like shotguns deal more damage at close range.)
    Here's what I came up with for sniper rifles:

Sniper Rifle:
    When firing this weapon, roll two Shooting dices instead of one and discard the lowest success. This means that to score a success on the roll, both dices must be a success. To score a raise only one die must succeed with a raise, as long as the other is a normal success. Wild Cards get their Wilde Die as usual but still need to score a success with two of the three dices. This weapon can never be fired with a rate of fire greater than one.
    Mathematically this rule penalizes low hit-chances, so character's will need a high Shooting skill and a good shooting position (with only few penalties). In exchange, there is a bigger chance to hit with a raise.
    I think this rule makes a good high-risk and high-reward gameplay for Sniper characters, without breaking the pace as there's no additional roll, only one additional die in the shooting roll to consider.

I don't know, that sounds like a really strong penalty. If I have a shooting of d10 and my target, after all modifiers, is at -2 (needing to roll a 6+) there is a 50% chance I will miss because my second die does not score high enough? Even if one explodes, meaning I got a raise (or more), I still miss?
    Yes, that ignores the wild die. That gives a whopping 16% chance that my (multi-)raise miss could be a hit.

Maybe just me but I would pass on sniper rifles and just get a good hunting rifle.
    I have way too much time but do not always edit myself properly. Please do not take offense.

Comment

This doesn't seem like a very attractive mechanic to me. Getting a raise is nice but it's not going to make up for the increased probability of missing altogether. Some damage more of the time is better than more damage less of the time.

Comment

Welcome to the forum!
        Originally posted by Waruck View Post
        One thing I am not that happy about is that most weapons all feel the same,
        I can see that. Especially with firearms.
        Which elements make them feel "the same" to you?
        Range?
        The dearth of attack skills?
        Generally similar damage dice?
        The shots to reload?
        Armor Piercing values?
        Special notes?
        Some other element?

I ask for specifics because each of those issues needs to be addressed in different ways.

Originally posted by Waruck View Post
        Here's what I came up with for sniper rifles:
        That's going to be a pain in play - more dice to roll (and roll off the table), needing to roll individually for each and every character with a "sniper" weapon (a real issue when I'm using eight snipers to pin the party while the rest of the foes move closer), encouraging would be snipers to use regular rifles unless they have insane dice luck, and introduces a unique mechanic to confuse players with.
        Which is a lot more downsides than the positives of: hits are more likely to be with a Raise, makes "sniper" weapons feel unique and special.

Good luck!
        I hope you find the above post useful. And not insulting, because I was trying to be helpful, not insulting; being a pedantic jerk, that isn't always clear.

Comment

Originally posted by Erolat View Post
          I don't know, that sounds like a really strong penalty. If I have a shooting of d10 and my target, after all modifiers, is at -2 (needing to roll a 6+) there is a 50% chance I will miss because my second die does not score high enough? Even if one explodes, meaning I got a raise (or more), I still miss?
          Yes, that ignores the wild die. That gives a whopping 16% chance that my (multi-)raise miss could be a hit.
          Doing the math, it's a much bigger penalty than I had imagined. Even if you only need a 4+ at a d10 + wild die, your chance to miss increases from 16.67% to 33.33% while your chance to get a raise only increases from 33.02% to 38.96%. That's one raise bought for three misses on average. Yep, that penalty is too strong

Originally posted by ValhallaGH View Post
          That's going to be a pain in play - more dice to roll (and roll off the table), needing to roll individually for each and every character with a "sniper" weapon (a real issue when I'm using eight snipers to pin the party while the rest of the foes move closer)
          To be honest, I only thought about giving players an interesting mechanic to play with, if they want their character to feel more interesting. I totally see your point with multiple extras carrying sniper weapons.

Thank you, for your insights.

Comment

• ValhallaGH
            ValhallaGH commented
            Editing a comment
            Happy to help.
            While this one has fallen down afterwards, don't be afraid to keep trying new stuff! Cool house rules are how we've gotten a lot of new and excellent rules in Savage Worlds.

Usually, when you want to create a ''niche'' mechanic or change the way the game is played, I find it easier to create a new Edge.It allows the vast majority of characters (NPCs and PCs) to play the game as is, while a few can play differently if they want.

For example, Frenzy and Sweep allow new ways of using the Fighting skill, so you can create an Edge for dedicated sniper as well. Something like

Combat Sniper
          Req: Seasoned, Shooting d8+
          You are adept at using precisoion rifles under all kinds of situation. You may ignore up to 2 points of Snapfire or Called Shot penalties when using a sniper rifle.

While this may not seem much, allowing for easier called shot give the sniper a much easier time when doing special attacks like disarming and favoring high risk high rewards behavior (giving a -2 penalty for a chance of +4 damage), drastically modifying how the Sniper Rifle behaves compared to a normal rifle.

Comment

Working...
          X