Gargoyles? Oh My!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gargoyles? Oh My!

Yes! I am talking the Disney Gargoyles people...

Anyway, I did a Savage Worlds conversion awhile back based on Lee Garvin's WOD conversion/hack and I would like to to update it to SWADE.

How would you build the gargoyle?
    "No one holds command over me. No man. No god. No Prince. What is a claim of age for ones who are immortal? What is a claim of power for ones who defy death? Call your damnable hunt. We shall see whom I drag screaming to hell with me."

I'd probably use the Super Powers Companion for the Gargoyles; they're something like Street-Level Heroes.

They'd have some combination of...

Flight at around 2 levels (Limitation, can only glide)
    Melee Attack (Claws, Str+d6)
    Regeneration (1/hour, Limitation, only while stone - so they're almost always fully healed after a day of being stone)
    Super Attribute (Strength and Vigor at least; the weakest of them seems to be near the top end of human Strength and Vigor)
    Toughness
    Wall Walker (claws)

I'm not sure how I'd stat out the "turn into a statue during the day" but it would be a pretty significant penalty to their racial template, probably at least -4 or -5.

Comment

• dentris
      dentris commented
      Editing a comment
      I wouldn't give them a racial value. Considering you will probable have a vast majority of players playing gargoyles, you expect most of the adventures will happen at night. If not, then you end up with one or two players doing all the work.

Aside from the very occasional "special episode", it shouldn't come into play during play, unless your GM is doing something wrong.

• SteelDraco
      SteelDraco commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, it's a weird one. It's a huge penalty and easy for bad guys to exploit if they know about it, but it's such a crippling vulnerability that it's tough to build interesting stories about it, since most of the heroes involved would be completely out of it for the scene.

It's a LOT more significant if the party is mixed-race, and by the end of the show, a lot of the heroes weren't gargoyles themselves (the detective lady, the genetically engineered gargoyle, and the robot gargoyle all didn't have it and they were all at least regular recurring guest stars; the detective would be one of the main PCs).

Originally posted by SteelDraco View Post

I'm not sure how I'd stat out the "turn into a statue during the day" but it would be a pretty significant penalty to their racial template, probably at least -4 or -5.
    How about a variance on the Power Negation Hindrance?
    You're rational, sir. It's only us crazy people who get to swap out realities on a whim.

Comment

• Deskepticon
      Deskepticon commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, this seems to be the closest the SPC comes to providing something that'll work. It could probably use some tweeks.

For starters, instead of death, the sunlight just causes them to turn to stone. I would rule it is instantaneous, unless the gargoyle makes a Vigor roll. Success prevents him from turning to stone for one round, but lowers his Pace by 1. Each subsequent Vigor roll is made at -1. If Pace reaches 0, the gargoyle turns to stone immediately after their turn and no further roll is possible.

Lowering the Pace is meant to emulate slowly turning to stone (instead of instantly), and a really tough guy could fend off the inevitable for about half a minute after the sun rises.

Does this work Shenron ?
Working...
X