X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deskepticon
    replied
    Originally posted by Crimson
    Generally, my players dont like spend a Benny type power, the vocal ones feel like it is a tax. But with the new deadlands, it seems more of a thing and it is growing on me.
    Spending a Benny to gain an ability has always been a integral part of Savage Worlds. I don't know how that can be perceived as a "tax." Spending and earning Bennies is an inherent part of the system.

Quick side note, maybe with Holy Warrior, it can extend to an adjacent target's soak roll to make it a Veteran power?
    For the Faithful path, right? And I think you mean Veteran "ability," not power (just so we're clear on the intent here).

Honestly, if I were you, I would seriously reconsider the order abilities were earned. Edges should be gained at their earliest possible Rank. Otherwise, as I've stated before, what's stopping a character from simply taking it normally, and then having their Heroic Path offer them nothing at the next Rank? That is a serious issue.

It also stifles creativity and choice. If a Faithful wanted to take Holy Warrior at Seasoned because that's how they envisioned their build going, they are forced to wait so they aren't jipped by that decision. It all makes for a rather poor system design.

I am not sure how to handle Iron Will, as it is just for Undead and relatively late in the progression maybe give them both Strong and Iron will but limit to Undead, or just give a stackable Arcane Resistance that only applies to undead.
    Hmph. Well the write-up doesn't mention anything about it being limited to just undead, so that's new information to me. If the goal was to just make the Fellhunter more resilient to undead magic, then Arcane Resistance would have been the better option. Go with the Improved version, but limited only to spells cast by undead.

Born on Christmas is a good option too (just change the name to thematically fit the setting). I would leave in the Edge's restriction to certain ABs, since this is a fairly powerful Edge; spending a Benny to completely negate a spell AND have a chance of Shaking the caster is pretty dang good.

Giantblooded - about the smaller then average option, i see you but that doesn't fit the idea of the path. You are Hodor, giants are in your lineage, you cant even take most of the Fey (dwarves, elves, gnomes or halflings by design).
    I'm confused. Why can't there be a smaller-than-average giantblooded? I mean, if you take all the giantblooded as an aggregate, some are going to be bigger and some are going to be smaller. The average is what the basic path represents. I'm not suggesting one is the size of a halfling, just smaller than the average giantblooded.

I don't love Brute as written, I have seen your House Rules and have considered that version of Brute.
    I made house rules on Brute???
    Link, or it didn't happen!

I am pretty sure on the Brawny being built in.
    A mistake, in my opinion, as Brawny is intended to represent someone larger than average for their species, not larger than the average of all playable races (same goes for the Small Hindrance). Also, that means no one can play an Obese giantblooded, and that makes me sad.

I like the Distinctive Appearance, and the idea and certain characters will become magnets for problems and since in the setting their are next to no giants (outside some ogres and hill giants) and they are effectively used as slave labor for hauling and/or living siege weapons.
    None of this is lost if you use Big instead. Being Big is, by it's very definition, being distinct. Keep in mind, the racial abilities in the core rulebook are intentionally broad and general; you need to "fluff" them to make them fit your setting. Since Midnight downplays the use of technology, replace the "-2 to devices" aspect of Big with "marked for capture," or something similar.

I effectively took Charge and Overrun (I believe is the improved version) from Rifts and melded them together as they are a bit specific on their own. Your idea is interesting, I am not sure if it is a great ability considering it is heroic, but it is something that doesn't exist and that has its benefits, maybe they ignore the running penalty or instead of +2 it is +4.
    Hmm, on further evaluation, my proposal probably is less than a +2 ability. However, I'm not sure about doubling the damage bonus. Going back to your original concept, I'll revise my proposal:

If the giantblooded makes a Wild Attack while running, they do not become Vulnerable. Furthermore, if the target is at least Shaken by the attack they must make an Agility roll or fall prone.

Guardian - I see the Gifted as a good way of circumventing the settings restriction on magic and . The benny idea is an idea is intriguing, but then they loss the versatility of giving it to others. Giving options I don't see as saddling, I see it as how you are a walking magic item that can do various need things in a moment.
    Sure, but you don't need to use an AB to do that. Many of these ABs only give one power, with (presumably) no option to take New Powers. Many of the paths bestow the AB at Heroic or Legendary Rank, meaning that players that spent this whole time not worrying about tracking PP are suddenly "saddled" with that responsibility... and for only one, single power. For many of these cases (especially the Self-only one), it'll be much more FFF to uncouple the benefit from the AB system. Perhaps attached to a Benny mechanic instead of burning Power Points.

As for the Guardian's warrior's gift, that was my bad. I think I just assumed it was supposed to be Self-only. If he can cast it on others, then he probably wants access to the Additional Recipients mod.

Healer -
    Raise Dead [1]: The Healer gains the Resurrection power with the following exceptions: The power suffers only a -4 to the casting roll (instead of the normal -8), but only works on decease only a day or 1 week if the Power (+5) modifier is applied.

Rejuvenation [1] The Healer no longer is limited to one casting to attempt to remove a Crippling Injury. This power modifier also only takes an instant instead of one hour and finally, the recipient is no longer Exhausted for 24 hours after a successful casting.
    Raise Dead - A couple things... what if the character already took the power at Heroic? And does this replace the original power. In other words, can the Healer still attempt to resurrect people up to a decade dead at -8? It's not clear from the wording what the intent is.

Rejuvenation - I had to read this a couple times to figure it out, but I think I got it. I'd restructure the paragraph to flow better and avoid the potential confusion I encountered. Something like:

When using the Crippling Injuries modifier, the Healer ignores the 1 hour preparation time and the subject is no longer Exhausted upon recovery. If the initial attempt fails, the Healer has one chance to try again. If that fails, they cannot heal the injury.

The reason for the "one time" retry limitation is because, if there was no limit, you might as well just consider it an instant success. With enough time, the Healer WILL succeed, so at that point any rolls just become a formality (and ultimately frivolous).

________

There is a wider concern I have with the design of these Heroic Paths (some of which I alluded to in my opening paragraph) and that is expectation.

Take the Healer, for example. Her "Hands of the Healer" ability, gained at Veteran, increases her Healing skill and natural maximum. Her magic is also governed by her Healing skill *. This means the character has every incentive to pump Healing to d12 before Veteran so she gets a free d12+1. Upon hitting Legendary, her first Advance should arguably be Professional, making failure ever so rare and meaning that the free retry attempt from Rejuvenation is now a lot less attractive. While the retry is a cool, thematic ability, it's probably something that should be offered earlier, when it would be more useful.

I've noticed similar things in other paths. To reiterate what I said earlier, I'd strongly advise reworking the progression of these entries.

I apologize, but I don't have the time or inclination to go through all 30+ paths. But browsing them, I'd probably only be repeating myself anyway. I earnestly wish you good luck, and hope you didn't think my critiques were overly harsh.

Cheers!

* This is a very dubious design decision I forgot to address in my initial critique. By making the Arcane Skill the same as the skill for mundane healing, you are doubling the character's potential. If she fails a magical healing roll, she can essentially "try again" with Mundane Healing at the same exact die type. This is a "hidden" benefit that does not get factored into your ability values.
    Last edited by Deskepticon; 07-19-2020, 11:09 PM. Reason: Fixed typos

Leave a comment:

• Deskepticon
    commented on 's reply
    Crimson Make it a priority to familiarize yourself with the Fan Lincense, since if you ever want to release your Midnight conversion it would have to be under those terms.

Also, if you want me to clarify anything in the above post, just ask. I tried to cram about 50 pages of case law into a few paragraphs, so naturally things got condensed.

• Crimson
    commented on 's reply
    I will have to look into this. Thank you for your time and understanding on the matter. I have not looked into the Fan License or SWAG yet

• Crimson
    commented on 's reply
    Thank you again Desk for your input.

Generally, my players dont like spend a Benny type power, the vocal ones feel like it is a tax. But with the new deadlands, it seems more of a thing and it is growing on me.

Quick side note, maybe with Holy Warrior, it can extend to an adjacent target's soak roll to make it a Veteran power?

Fellhunter - I have added that it works within double Occult range when when outside of line of sight. i am not sure how to handle Iron Will, as it is just for Undead and relatively late in the progression maybe give them both Strong and Iron will but limit to Undead, or just give a stackable Arcane Resistance that only applies to undead. I was thinking of giving them something like Born on Christmas knack (negate power and cause them to roll or become shaken), I think I may go that way instead. I really like how you unraveled the Disrupting Attack, great solve.

Feyblooded - I may increase their power list, but again being they are not Arcane casters, this magic is scentless a huge boon in this setting. They are not precluded to taking the Arcane Background (Magic) to round out powers they want. I may consider boosting the power points to 15, neat idea.

Giantblooded - about the smaller then average option, i see you but that doesn't fit the idea of the path. You are Hodor, giants are in your lineage, you cant even take most of the Fey (dwarves, elves, gnomes or halflings by design). I don't love Brute as written, I have seen your House Rules and have considered that version of Brute. I am pretty sure on the Brawny being built in. I like the Distinctive Appearance, and the idea and certain characters will become magnets for problems and since in the setting their are next to no giants (outside some ogres and hill giants) and they are effectively used as slave labor for hauling and/or living siege weapons. I effectively too Charge and Overrun (I believe is the improved version) from Rifts and melded them together as they are a bit specific on their own. Your idea is interesting, I am not sure if it is a great ability considering it is heroic, but it is something that doesn't exist and that has its benefits, maybe they ignore the running penalty or instead of +2 it is +4.

Guardian - I agree with your assessment that the Fear bonus should be broken out into its own line, it makes it less likely to be missed. I see the Gifted as a good way of circumventing the settings restriction on magic and . The benny idea is an idea is intriguing, but then they loss the versatility of giving it to others. Giving options I don't see as saddling, I see it as how you are a walking magic item that can do various need things in a moment.

Healer - you do have a point, Crippling Injury is effectively Regeneration, I saw it more limited it can help a lame arm, not replace one. It is all in the trappings. I see how Rejuvenation can be confusing. How about this
    Raise Dead [1]: The Healer gains the Resurrection power with the following exceptions: The power suffers only a -4 to the casting roll (instead of the normal -8), but only works on decease only a day or 1 week if the Power (+5) modifier is applied.

Rejuvenation [1] The Healer no longer is limited to one casting to attempt to remove a Crippling Injury. This power modifier also only takes an instant instead of one hour and finally, the recipient is no longer Exhausted for 24 hours after a successful casting.

Again thank you for your time and advice.

• Crimson
    commented on 's reply
    I am A) not familiar with Supers and B) rather have powers that are within the range of other abilities in the setting without opening that can of worms which Supers can be. Perhaps the open nature of SW verses 3.X allows for more choices where it is less needed, but I like this idea of an additional bonus each rank to make players feel special (i.e. chosen) in the down-trodden setting. Also with Supers not being SWAdE yet, I would prefer not yet go down that rabbit hole..

for my players, I would allow them to either mend or build their own HP, but most want something to choose from. I one campaign, we had a character modify feyblood drastically to be a reborn elder fey, but otherwise I did an overhaul with a friend on all the HPs on the old Against the Shadow fan site.

Thank you for the props,

Good luck with your game and heroic path builds. As mentioned prior, I am thinking about pairing down since some repeat, but also I feel more options for players is great idea then limiting and everyone wanting to play the same 3 paths.

• arnon
    replied
    That's one heck of an endeavor Crimson... well done.

Personally, i'm still unsure how i would proceed with Heroic Paths... they are an integral part of the Midnight settings, but much less needed in Savage Worlds.

My current thought on how to go about Heroic Path is either:
    1. Use something like previous edition Super-Powers starting at Novice with d4 and increase it by one die per Rank
      • optional: Every time the hero uses the power, the dice go down by one type, but will still allow the hero to roll as if unskilled (d4-2)
    2. ​​​​​​​I'm not very familiar with the super powers companion, but from what i saw, it might be a good fit as well, given the players a small number of points
      • This might be a better fit since it allow much more flexible powers along with harder skin, improved senses, etc..

of course, i would have the players look over the originals to get some ideas... but i'm not averse to letting them create their own Heroic Paths

Cheers,
    -arnon

Leave a comment:

• Deskepticon
    commented on 's reply
    P.S. - If you want to throw up props in your product, you certainly can. Something like: "The mega-magic powers in the document originally appeared in Rifts for Savage Worlds." Technically (i.e., legally) it's not required, but it's always nice to give credit where credit is due.

• Deskepticon
    replied
    Okay, so to avoid repetition, I won't list entries that have similar feedback to things I already addressed. Namely, the wording on attribute increases and Edges gained at a Rank after they are already available. I know you have a pattern you want to adhere to, but open mind can be beneficial here.

Fellhunter
    • Detect undead says it ignores line of sight, but doesn't give a range for the effect (note that the Range listing of a power is the distance to the target; you've already changed this to Self).
    • Iron Will is an expansion of Strong Willed. It doesn't work unless the character has Strong Willed to base it off of... so what's up here? Does the path give both Edges, or did you intend to give Strong Willed instead?
    • "Disrupting Attack [2]: Once per encounter..." Is there a reason you aren't using the "spend a Benny" mechanic for these abilities? Also, why not just give them the banish power since they already have an AB? I'd suggest giving them the power (a 1 point ability) and add the following text: "On a successful melee attack, the hunter may spend a Benny to immediately cast banish as a free action. The target of the attack is also the target of the power."
    Feyblooded
    • The power list is incredibly short. After char-gen, three New Powers Edges would give them the lot. Maybe bump the PP to 15 to compensate?
    Giantblooded
    • The issue I have with giving the path Brawny is that it necessarily precludes the character from other options. What if they wanted to play a smaller than average Giantblooded? Or a fat one? Can't do it with Brawny. I'd give them Size +1 instead and scrounge up another 1 point ability somewhere. Or... replace Distinctive Appearance with Big (-2) and give them Brute, Size +1, and a Strength die increase.
    • Fearsome Charge is a pretty cumbersome ability. There's a lot to unpack... ignore running penalty (+1), +2 to damage (+2, see No Mercy), and free Push result without a roll or MAP (+2). I'd simplify it by tweaking the existing SWADE mechanics of Wild Attack. Consider: "If the giantblooded makes a Wild Attack while running, they do not become Vulnerable." The bonus from WA cancels the running penalty and the character still gets the +2 damage. The benefit of the ability is doing that without becoming Vulnerable. Push attempts can always be made as a Multi-Action if the giant wants to knock someone prone.
    Guardian
    • For formatting reasons and also for consistency, I'd separate the Command Edge and the Fear bonus into two abilities. Something like: "Moxie: any Extras in the Command radius receive +1 to their rolls to resist Fear."
    • Man, you love those custom Arcane Backgrounds, don't you?! My concern here is if you are going to give the path warrior's gift, why the heck wait to Legendary to do it, when it is arguably going to be the least useful? Additionally, why saddle the player with Power Points at this stage in the game? Just say, "The guardian can spend a Benny to gain a one-time use of any Combat Edge he doesn't know, but meets the requirements for." Easy-peasy.
    Healer
    • Rejuvenation. I'm confused, six different ways. Why are you replacing the Crippling Injuries mod with something that does exactly what the Crippling Injuries mod does??? Also, the last part about rerolling failed Healing attempts reads like it's part of the Power Modifier. Does the character need to spend the +20 PP to get the reroll? Or is this, as I suspect, a different ability and it's just clumsily worded?

Anyway, that's all I have time for now. Catch ya later!

Leave a comment:

• Deskepticon
    replied
    my copy has the verbiage for reference. does it need to be referenced?
    The nuances of copyright are often misunderstood. This isn't made any easier in this day-and-age of blatantly frivolous "copyright strike" claims on a particularly popular video-hosting site.
    The main point of copyright is to protect the financial interests of the party. This extends to "intellectual property" as well, and this is where nuance plays a part. In order for a product to become an IP, it needs many connected parts making up the whole. Copyright secures the whole, but not the individual parts. There is numerous case law on copyright claims being dismissed based on this fact.

Generally speaking, copyright does not secure "ideas" that don't meet the grounds of an IP. This includes game mechanics. However, trademarks are a separate issue that play into copyright. A trademark is anything that signifies and identifies a brand. It could be a logo, a slogan, a symbol, a certain combination of colors, and (for the purpose of gaming systems and settings) names.
    ..."Savage Worlds" is a trademark of Pinnacle, as are all the names of Edges, Hindrances, powers, Setting Rules, et cetera as they apply to their given description. This last part is important. The term "Dodge" is a trademark only when combined with its mechanic. This means that: a) the term "Dodge" can be used in other gaming products with different mechanics attached, and b) the mechanics of Dodge can be reproduced under a different name.

Both the Fan Licence and SWAG Licence award you the privilege of referencing PEG's trademarks. Essentially, you can use the term "Dodge" to refer to the applied mechanic, and even include a brief description of that mechanic if it holds some further merit to your product. What's expressly forbidden is making a list of all (or even many) Edges, Hindrances, powers, et cetera, with attached mechanics, for no other reason than reproduction. As cheesy as it sounds, you can create an Edge called "Side Step" and give it the listed benefit of Dodge, and it would be perfectly legal. Corny and unethical, but legal.

The crux of the matter is whether or not your product poses a financial risk to whoever you are copying. If you make a perfect clone of Savage Worlds, changing only the names, you'd be safe from trademark violations, but the parts that make up the whole would infringe on PEG's intellectual property claims. That could constitute a copyright claim since the two products would be virtually identical. It also depends on whether or not the infringed-upon brand wants to press charges. That's why Pathfinder exists, because WotC weren't interested in maintaining their 3.x brand any longer (also, they were still selling books because of the compatibility between systems... so it came down to "make a bit more money" or "spend money in lawsuits and still lose revenue." Kind of a no-brainer).

The long-winded point is, no company owns a claim to a game mechanic, just the trademark attached to it. Courts will dismiss claims that show no direct impact to the sales or integrity of an infringed brand, meaning lawsuits are uncommon except in extreme cases. Specifically, the mechanics of mega-magic can be recreated in your product with little to no impact on the viability and integrity of the Rifts setting. At the very least, you can change the names to fit your setting better.

Hope this helped ease your mind.

DISCLAIMER: I'm not a lawyer, so don't treat this as legal advice. It's merely an opinion derived from reading case law and judging the practical turn of events from taking the actions stated above. Always do you own research!

Leave a comment:

• Crimson
    replied
    Thank you Deskepticon for the initial feedback and time. As stated above, my idea is to pair down to maybe 20, but for the first version wanted to give it the old college try. Some may be folded together with options at a level or two (Pureblooded and Jack-of-All-Trades or Painless and Ironborn).

My concern with Nimble and a few others was offering copyrighted material. my copy has the verbiage for reference. does it need to be referenced?

I was being lazy with the Attribute, you are right, I should right it out as in increase.

Beast, I think maybe i will flip Claws to Seasoned and start with Berserk at novice. Boost is very similar Berserk. Based in the source material, they gain traditional boost type powers. Since it is pretty powerful, i offered it late with restrictions.

Chanceborn, good catch with the skill, yes a free d4 (d6 if a core skill). Elan, not sure what else to offer maybe Great Luck or Scrounger.

Charismatic, Followers/Sidekick is a slight increase, but not much sooner. I am not sure how to balance their Boost power, the power point reduction was due it being Spirit based as opposed to a skill. They have a bard type quality, so I think it fits. I did offer a Leadership enhancing to one of the paths, perhaps this can be merged with that one or repeated here.

Earthbound, I swapped Darkvision to Veteran with Burrow to Heroic. I also added invisibility to their ability to "see" as long as the thing is moving. Yes most of the non-human races gain IV or LLV. I dont think they should gain more, they dont have to take a specific path. Also I see the setting as being very Tolkieneque, where the other races are fading, so they are already second class citizens.

Faithful, I would consider Holy Warrior a restricted edge in this setting (only bad guys and 3 heroic paths as it stands now have access to Miracles), so they are getting access to something normally off the table, I think I am fine with this being a rank delayed. Also my formula that I tried to stick to is assigned attribute at Seasoned and choice attribute at Veteran.

I am not sure how to handle if they have them, perhaps I can offer an alternate list. Even if they have them as Arcane caster (only magic generally available) they would be scentless casting for the ability to be tracked in the setting and new powers is not normally available for heroic path arcane backgrounds, noteable exception is the Dragonblooded, a super caster if you will.

Thanks again,

Leave a comment:

• Deskepticon
    replied
    With 32 options, I fear this will cause "information paralysis" during the character creation process. Still, I commend you on the ambitious endeavor!

I only had time to look over the first few.

Beast
    • Since Berserk is a Novice Edge and this path provides it Seasoned, maybe offer a secondary option in case the player either a) already has it, or b) doesn't want it.
    • The boost Trait power can be used to give the player a de facto Berserk effect, without any of the drawbacks. The character can spend one turn boosting Vigor and Strength at no MAP (due to the the first casting being Innate), but not suffer the Reckless Abandon effect. Furthermore, the effects would stack with Berserk. Not sure if that was the intention, but it may cause some undesired outcomes.
    Chanceborn
    • "Skill" doesn't list the die type of the skill earned. Presumably it's d4, but that should be stated explicitly.
    • Elan is a Novice Edge, but is gained at Seasoned. Maybe offer a secondary effect in case the player already has it.
    • "Nimble [2]: from Rifts" ... This might work at your table and tables that also have the Rifts books, but is useless to those that don't. Just give a rundown of the benefit. It'll be fine.
    Charismatic
    • "Spirit: The hero gains the listed attribute." That's some odd parlance since every character already has Spirit. Change it to: "The hero increases Spirit by one die type."
    • Early access to Followers and Sidekick is worth +1 point (making the Edge worth 3 points), and this is probably fine since the AB they gain next Rank is weak sauce (with 5 less PP than it should have).
    • The AB also feels uninspired; I'd probably prefer some custom ability that caters to the build. Maybe something that doubles the bonuses of Leadership Edges, so allies get +2 to recover from Shaken; Fervor adds +2 to Fighting; Hold the Line adds +2 Toughness; etc.
    Dragonblooded
    • "Smarts: The hero gains the listed attribute." Consider revising to "increase die type" instead.
    Earthbonded
    • "Vigor: The hero gains the listed attribute." Consider revising.
    • For 2 points, Darkvision should also negate invisibility penalties, since it's based on echolocation. This ability is also cheapened by any race with either Low Light Vision or Infravision (which, IIRC, is most of them). You might want to consider giving this a bit more "Oomph," especially since it's a Heroic ability.
    Faithful
    • "Spirit: The hero gains the listed attribute." Consider revising.
    • Holy Warrior is a Seasoned Edge but this path gains it at Veteran. I would swap it with the attribute increase ability, so Holy Warrior is gained at Seasoned and Spirit increases at Veteran.
    • "New Powers (edge): The Faithful gains the Dispel and Banish powers." So at Heroic Rank, the character gains one Seasoned power and one Veteran power? What if they already have them? It seems this needs to be addressed.
    • "from Rifts" ... Again, it's okay to just write what the mechanic is. If you're concerned about copyright, don't be; copyright protects against plagarism and intellectual property, not against simply repeating an idea.

Okay, cheers for now.

Leave a comment:

• Crimson
    replied
    Any feedback is welcome, do this seem crazy or do they seem self balanced and reasonable?

Leave a comment:

• Crimson
    replied
    here are some bonus Heroic paths from one of the non-core book

Blessed -
    Novice: Distinctive Appearance (minor): The hero gains for no additional points the listed Hindrance. The Blessed are striking (typically beautiful, albeit in some atypical fashion) then typical making it nearly impossible to blend in (-2 on Stealth rolls). With time, the hero will continue to grow more unearthly, making them more distinguishable.
    Very Attractive (edge): The hero gains both the Attractive and Very Attractive edges regardless of the requirements.
    Seasoned: Spirit: The hero gains the listed attribute.
    Veteran: Arcane Background: Miracles (edge): The hero gains the Arcane Background Miracles. This uses Faith as its Arcane Skill, they gains the Healing, Protection, and Smite powers, and 10 Power Points. No additional Powers are on this Arcane Background's list.
    Heroic: Champion (edge): The hero gains the listed edge regardless of requirements.
    Legendary: Beatific [2]: The Blessed become Immune to Disease [1] and Poison [1]. Additionally they cease to age, even magically.

Null -
    Requirements: The Null may not take any Arcane Background (edge), except what is given by this Heroic Path.
    Novice: Arcane Resistance and Improved Arcane Resistance (edges): The hero gains the listed edges regardless of requirements.
    Seasoned: Arcane Background (Null) [2]:The hero gains an Arcane Background: Null, this acts as the Gifted arcane background, but uses Spirit as its Arcane Skill, the Detect/Conceal Arcana power and 10 Power Points.
    Veteran: Spirit: The hero gains the listed attribute.
    Heroic: New Powers (edge): The Null gains the Arcane Protection and Dispel powers.
    Legendary: Enhanced Power [1]: The hero gains the following power modifiers:
    Dispel – Exalted Dispel from Rift's Mega modifiers
    New Power [1]: The Null gains the Drain Power Points power.

Shadowed -
    Novice: Intimidation: The hero gains a d4 in the listed skill.
    Darkvision [2]: The Shadowed can see in the dark without any problems. They ignore all penalties due to illumination.
    Seasoned: Our Master's Will [2]: The Shadowed can invoke this ability to effectively have the Connections Edge with any person or group. Make an Intimation or Persuasion roll at −2 (or an opposed roll for powerful contacts) to see if they can be leveraged or convinced to help in any way. A failure on the check expends that session’s use of the Edge. If successful, the favor depends on the nature of the contact (GM fiat) but might include loaning useful equipment, a few allied fighters, transportation, information, or even a professional with critical skills the party doesn’t have, like a healing, occultist, or scholar.
    Veteran: Attribute:The hero gains an attribute of their choice.
    Heroic: Death Knell [2]: Once per encounter, when the Shadowed kills an opponent, they may increase their Strength by one die-type for the remainder of the encounter. If the foe is a wildcard, the Strength increase is by two die-types.
    Legendary: Fear [2]: The Shadowed causes all in their presence to be subjected to a Fear check. Others may become jaded when regularly in their company, but this is a permanent effect which can not be suppressed without powers to Disguise or become Invisible.

Wiser -
    Novice: Skill: The hero gains a skill of their choice.
    Jack-of-All-Trades (edge): The hero gains the listed edge regardless of requirements.
    Seasoned: Smarts: The hero gains the listed attribute.
    Veteran: 2 Skill Points plus Literacy: The hero gains 2 skill points to advance as normal. The Wiser also gains Literacy in a single language they already know.
    Heroic: Skilled: Once per encounter, the Wiser may gain a free re-roll on any non-Arcane Smarts-based skill roll of their choice.
    Legendary: Insight [2]: The Wiser chooses three Smarts-based skills, each gains a +1 to the total whenever those skills are used.

Leave a comment:

• Crimson
    replied
    Steelblooded -
    Novice: Fighting: The hero gains a d4 in the listed skill.
    Edge Choice (edge): The hero gains any Combat edge, they may ignore any non-edge requirements listed for that edge.
    Seasoned: Weapon's Training [2]: The hero gains Chi edge. This version of the edge can work with any weapon the Steelblooded is using.
    Veteran: Agility or Strength: The hero choose between the listed attributes.
    Heroic: Hew [2]: The hero may ignore 2 points of Armor when making successful Fighting attacks.
    Legendary: Weapon Master (edge): The hero gains the listed edge regardless of requirements.

Sunderborn -
    Novice: Skill Bonus [1]: The Sunderborn gains a +2 to Persuasion with any Outsider.
    Infravision [1]: The hero “sees” heat, either through eyes. This halves Illumination penalties when attacking targets (including invisible beings).
    Detect Outsider [1]: The Sunderborn can sense Outsiders on an instinctual level. This ability acts like the Detect Arcana (only) power usable by the Notice skill but only senses Outsiders and their abilities within range but ignores line of sight. This is an Innate ability and costs no Power Points. With a raise on the Notice roll, the Sunderborn gains insight on present Outsider stats (typically a weakness).
    Seasoned: Berserker (edge): The hero gains the listed edge regardless of requirements.
    Veteran: Spirit or Strength: The hero choose between the listed attributes.
    Heroic: Arcane Background (Sunderborn) [2]: The hero gains an Arcane Background: Sunderborn, this acts as the Gifted Arcane Background, but uses Spirit as its Arcane Skill, the Darksight and the Summon Ally* powers, but with only 10 Power Points. * The Summon Ally power always costs 4 Power Points, but the Outsider summoned is randomly determined.
    Legendary: Sleep Reduction [1]: The Sunderborn needs half the normal amount of sleep as humans.
    Resist Outsider [1]: The Sunderborn has an uncanny ability to shrug off the effects of outsiders. Arcane skills and special abilities from Outsiders targeting the hero suffer a −2 penalty (even if cast by allies!) and magical damage is reduced by 2 as well. This stacks with the Arcane Resistance and the Improved version of this edge as well as the Arcane Protection power.

Tactician -
    Novice: Battle: The hero gains a d4 in the listed skill.
    Command (edge): The hero gains the listed edge regardless of requirements.
    Veteran: Edge Choice: The hero gains any Leadership edge they meet the requirements for.
    Veteran: Smarts or Spirit: The hero choose between the listed attributes.
    Heroic: Art of War [2]: The Tactician gains a free reroll on all Battle rolls.
    Legendary: Battle Orders [2]: The Tactician . The hero increases all modifiers for Leadership edges by +1. Command Radius becomes linked to their Smarts as inches, double Smarts if they have the Command Presence edge.

Warg -
    Requirements: Upon taking this heroic path, the Warg chooses an normal animal type such as Bear, Cat, Dog, Lion, Mule, Wolf (use Dire Wolf stats), War Horse, Raptor (bird of pray) or Snake, etc. The creature is known as their Chosen Animal, and their Beast Master and Animal Form are forever linked to that animal type and can not change. Some animals are more powerful then others, but can not easily move about civilized areas without suspicion or action.
    Novice: Survival: The hero gains a d4 in the listed skill.
    Beast Master (edge): The hero gains the listed edge regardless of requirements. This attracted animal with GM approval may be larger then Size 0 as per the requirements section above.
    Seasoned: Animal Form [2]: The Warg may assume the form of their Chosen Animal as per the Shape Change power into that at will. Since there is no activation roll, so no raises are possible. Animal Form is an action to change from their natural form to the animal's form or vise versa.
    Veteran: Attribute: The hero may increase either their Agility, Strength, or Vigor. This attribute carries over to their Animal Form ability.
    Heroic: Ferocity [2]: The Warg may ignore 1 point of Wound penalties, this ability stacks with the Nerves of Steel and the Improved version of this edge.
    Legendary: Regeneration [2]: The Warg may make a natural healing roll once per day (rather than every five days).

Leave a comment:

• Crimson
    replied
    Seaborn-
    Novice: Athletics: The hero gains a d6 in the listed skill.
    Aquatic [2]: The Seaborn is native to the water. They cannot drown in oxygenated liquid and move at their full Pace when swimming.
    Seasoned: Environmental Resistance (Cold) [1]: The Seaborn receives a +4 bonus to resist all cold-based negative environmental effect. Damage from cold is also reduced by 4.
    Infravision [1]: The Seaborn sense subtle vibrations and well in murky conditions. This halves Illumination penalties when attacking targets (including invisible beings).
    Veteran: Agility or Strength: The hero choose between the listed attributes.
    Heroic: Arcane Background (Seaborn) [2]: The hero gains an Arcane Background: Seaborn, this acts as the Gifted Arcane Background, but uses Agility as its Arcane Skill, the Deflection and the Summon Ally* powers and 10 Power Points. * Summon Ally will only allow aquatic creatures to be summoned.
    Legendary: Puissant [2]: The Seaborn regains their Power Points in half the time while submerged in water. They may also make a Natural Healing roll once per day if they have been submerged for at least one hour that day.

Seer -
    Novice: Notice: The hero gains a d6 in the listed skill.
    Alertness (edge): The hero gains the listed edge regardless of requirements.
    Seasoned: Arcane Background (Seer) [2]: The hero gains the Arcane Background: Seer, this acts as the Gifted Arcane Background, but uses Notice as its Arcane Skill, the Detect Arcana (only, power point cost decreased to 1 for limitation) and the Object Reading powers and 10 Power Points.
    Veteran: Smarts or Spirit: The hero choose between the listed attributes.
    Heroic: New Powers (edge): The Seer gains the Divination and Summon Ally* powers. * Summon Ally appears only as a near invisible floating eye which has the following statics called a Sensor. This Sensor costs 1 Power Point and automatically has the Mind Rider modifier applied at no extra cost.
    Sensor
    Attributes: Agility d8, Smarts d4, Spirit d4, Strength d4-3, Vigor d6
    Skills: Athletics d4, Notice d10, Stealth d10
    Pace: 0 (see Flight below); Parry: 2; Toughness: 1
    Special Abilities:
    • Size: -4 (Tiny); -6 Scale Modifier.
    • Flight: Moves at Pace of 6, may Run (d6) as normal.
    • Infravision: The sensor halves Illumination penalties when attacking warm targets (including invisible beings).
    • Near Invisibility: The sensor is transparent so any action taken against it requiring sight is made at a -4.
    • Magical: The sensor can be Banished.
    • Can not Speak: The sensor can not communicated except via mind rider with its master.
    • No Hands: The sensor can not manipulate any items.
    Legendary: Prescience [2]: The Seer draws an additional Action Card in combat and chooses which to use. This ability stacks with Level Headed and the Improve version of these edges.

Speaker -
    Novice: Performance: The hero gains a d4 in the listed skill.
    Attractive (edge): The hero gains the listed edge regardless of requirements. This trapping of this edge pertains to the Speaker's voice, so they do not standout in crowds by appearance.
    Seasoned: Spirit: The hero gains the listed attribute.
    Veteran: Arcane Background (Psionics) [2]: The hero gains the Arcane Background: Psionics, but uses Performance as its Arcane Skill, the Slumber, Sound/Silence, and Speak Languages powers, and 10 Power Points. No additional Powers are available for this Arcane Background's list until the Speaker gains Legendary as listed below.
    Heroic: Skill [2]: The Speaker increases their choice of either Performance or Persuasion by a die-type. The chosen skill’s maximum increases by +1. This bonus stacks with the Professional and Expert edges. The Speaker can also no longer be silence by any means.
    Legendary: New Powers (edge): The Speaker gains the following powers: Burst (no power point cost increase for damaging spells) and Puppet.

Spellsoul - (this is a bit unbalanced, since a number of the powers given are "selfless" not for themself's, this may be the too unbalanced)
    Requirements: The Spellsoul may not take any Arcane Background (edge).
    Novice: Skill: The hero gains a skill of their choice.
    Arcane Resistance (edge): The hero gains the listed edge regardless of requirements.
    Spirit Battery [1]: The hero gains 5 Power Points, which they can not use themselves (they do not have access to any Arcane Background), but they may lend up to that amount they wish to a spellcaster of their choice within Spirit inches distance, these may be used to power spells or as power modifiers. These Power Points recharge as normal.
    Seasoned: Attribute: The hero gains an attribute of their choice.
    Veteran: Improved Spirit Battery [1]: The hero gains an additional 5 Power Points (10 total).
    Empower Magic [1]: The Spellsoul gains the Extra Effort edge, which they may spend their Power Points on a spellcaster within Spirit inches distance.
    Heroic: Edge Choice: The hero gains any edge they meet the requirements for.
    Legendary: Modify Magic [2]: The Spellsoul may spend 2 Power Points to redirect the effect of a power activated within Spirit inches distance to another area or target (including themselves) within Spirit inches distance from the Spellsoul. The hero may a act as having the Wizard edge for modifying trappings on Powers activated within Spirit inches distance. Alternately, the hero may add Power Modifiers to powers activated in their presence without users permission if they win on an opposed Spirit verses Arcane Skill roll.

Shadow Walker -
    Novice: Stealth: The hero gains a d6 in the listed skill.
    Fleet-Footed (edge): The hero gains the listed edge regardless of requirements.
    Seasoned: Agility: The hero gains the listed attribute.
    Veteran: Darkvision [2]: The Earthbonded can see in the dark through enhanced senses. They ignore all penalties due to illumination.
    Heroic: Arcane Background (Shadow Walker) [2]: The hero gains the Arcane Background: Shadow Walker, this acts as the Gifted Arcane Background, but uses Stealth as its Arcane Skill, the Teleport* power and 10 Power Points. * Teleport is activated as an Innate Ability usable only on the Shadow Walker and may only be used to teleport to and from areas with at least the Dim illumination.
    Legendary: Nimble [2]: from Rifts

Leave a comment:

Working...
X