No announcement yet.

Savage Midnight (a conversion)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow.... lots of interesting discussions happened here since i last was here.

I've recently been thinking again about Midnight (as it happens), and took another look at my notes and did some changes (again)

I'll not start with the different Races, i'll leave that for another time as i'm still pondering it.... funny how that is the hardest section for me to convert

Following is my Setting Rules section.

Setting Rules
    • Dynamic Backlash
    • Wound Cap
    • Creative Combat (maybe, this is something I'll discuss with my players beforehand)
    Age of Want
    • Characters do not start with any money (as it is meaningless in Midnight)
    • Starting equipment should be discussed and agreed upon with the GM
    • Cost of equipment should be used as a baseline for barter (the main method of trading in Midnight), and the GM should take into consideration: scarcity of the item, legality or trading it, etc...
    Lost Knowledge
    • All characters start with the Illiterate hindrance
    • Buying skill points in Science must come with an appropriate background and needs to be approved by the GM
    Skills
    • Removed skills: Driving, Piloting, Electronics, Hacking
    • Modified/renamed skills: Academics, Occults, Science
    Academics => Lore (Smarts)
    With almost no books or academies of learning, Lore comes down in the from of tales, songs, and snippets of conversation with other people. Otherwise, it behaves the same as Academics in SWADE.

Herbalism (Smarts)
    The ability to create herbal concoctions.
    The creation of herbal concoctions is a two step process. Collecting the herbs and creating the concoction:
    • Collecting the herbs is a Survival or Herbalism role (whichever is higher) and might be modified by the GM to symbolize abundance/scarcity of the herbs needed.
    • Creating the concoction is a Herbalism role with the following modifiers. A raise on the roll creates two portions. Once prepared the concoction should be used within a week or lose potency.
    Proficiency Herbalism modifier
    Prepare in 1 minute -2
    Prepare in 1d4 hours +0
    Prepare in a day +2
    One month potency -2

Languages (Smarts)
    Languages in Midnight may be known in four levels: Pidgin (d4), Basic (d6), Fluent (d8), Mastery (d10, dialects, long words, etc..). All characters start Illiterate in all languages.
    At character creation, each hero starts with his races’ known languages (speaking only) and half his Smarts dice in Language Points (Orcs start with their Smarts dice in Language Points). These languages points may be used to buy knowledge in other languages or literacy in any language you are proficient in.

Learning
    During play you may learn new languages or improve known ones. Learning may be done in several ways:
    • Actively learning from another person with at least Fluent competence in a language or living in an area where the language is spoken primarily for at least two months. In either cases you need to make a Smarts check after two months, modified by your current level of competence. (see table below)
    • Once per rank you may use your advance to improve or gain literacy in two different Language skills
    Proficiency Smarts roll modifier
    None to Pidgin -3
    All others -2

Language Synergy
    Some languages are so similar that they provide synergy with one another. When a character is Fluent in one language it is easier for them to learn a related one. If the language has a synergy with another the Smarts roll to learn the new language has a +1 bonus
    Language Synergy Comment
    Black Tongue Pidgin only
    Colonial Erenlander, Trader's Tongue +d10 Courtier (Nobles dialect)
    Dwarven Trader's Tongue +d10 is considered Old Dwarven
    Elven Halfing, Trader's Tongue +d6 to be properly understood in Elven
    +d10 High Elven
    Erenlander Colonial, Norther, Trader's Tongue
    Halfing
    Northern Erenlander, Trader's Tongue
    Orcish Black Tongue
    Snow Elf Patrol Sign Restricted;
    Pidgin only
    Sundered Tongues Restricted;
    Pidgin only
    Sylvan Restricted;
    Pidgin only
    Trader's Tongue Colonial, Dwarven, Erenlander, Halfling, Elven, Norther

Occult* (Smarts)
    In addition to the description in SWADE, Occult also covers: Legates and their magic, the Order of Shadow, the armies and generals of the Shadow, religious practices and worship of the Dark God, and black mirrors; as well as magical and supernatural creatures such as: elementals, true fey, outsiders, undead, the Lost, the Eternal, the Whisper etc..

Performance (Spirit)
    Some modifiers if using Performance skill as Disguise. This modified is applied to the roll made by anyone to detect the disguise.
    Situation Modifier
    Proper Disguise -1 to -2
    Person is know/very well known to target +1 to +4
    Different Race / Size /Sex +1 to +2

Science (Smarts)
    The “hard sciences” are even more rare than the liberal arts (Lore) in the world since the Shadow fell. Taking skill points in science must be approved by the GM.

Comment

• Deskepticon
      Deskepticon commented
      Editing a comment
      ValhallaGH Agreed.
      The writeup lacks the needed clarity in many of the rules.

• arnon
      arnon commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks all for the comments. Everything was clear to me, but then again i wrote it so...

ValhallaGH, Deskepticon, paladin2019 I'll try to clarify my intents:

===========
      Languages:
      * Everybody starts with d8 in their own language, but do not know how to write
      * Apparently, i did not notice that the Illiterate hindrance in SWADE means math as well... i took it to mean does not know to read or write. This is how i take it
      * I wanted it to be a bit more "realistic" (i hate using this word when talking gaming) to learn languages, but i see your points. How about:
      *** No need to roll Smarts to gain d4 in a language after 1 months (the hero will have to be actively learning)
      *** no penalty to the Smarts roll to advance the language dice
      ============
      Performance:
      * The intent here was to give modifiers to the Notice roll. They appear under Performance because at first they were penalties to the roll the person wearing the disguise.
      * "Proper Disguise" means that if you try to impersonate a guard, you'll do better with a real guards uniform, rather than a shirt and pants in the same general color. Stuff like that...

• ValhallaGH
      ValhallaGH commented
      Editing a comment
      The Smarts roll to learn a new language seems fine. The penalties were excessive. Having a -1 to learn in the first place makes it difficult to learn a new language but still relatively simple for Wild Cards - explaining how an ex-pat might spend 15 years in a community without ever learning the local language.

Thank you all for the comments on the Setting Rules section, i'll certainly make some adaptation..

Following is my Race section (hope ya'll aint to tired of this yet)

Some comments:
    • Crimson i've taken some of you ideas, and modified my original take on the races
    • Removed two half-races, and once elf sub-race... only kept the Dworgs because they're cool and have a great story
    • Most of the Fey races are hunted by the forces of the Dark God, hence the Wanted hindrance to most of them. While this affects them mainly in the human lands (the elven forest is mostly free of the evil forces, although under constant threat), it should be noted that humans travelling to the forest of the elves or caves of the dwarves, will be treated with suspicion.

Dwaf, Kurgam
    Surface living dwarves
    • Tough as Stones (+2): Dwarves are a hardy people and start with a d6 in Vigor, and its maximum is d12+1
    • Low Light Vision (+1): Ignores penalties for Dim or Dark lighting
    • Mountain-Born (+1): Kurgan Dwarves are light on their feet. They are not hindered by rough terrain
    • Resilient (+1): Dwarves gain either a +1 Toughness or Arcane skills targeting them suffer a -1 penalty (even if cast by allies!) and magical damage is reduced by 1 as well.
    • Wanted (Major)(-2): As all fey creatures, dwarves are to be killed on sight or reported immediately
    • Native Language: Dwarven (d8)

Dwaf, Clan
    Cave-dwelling dwarves
    • Tough as Stones (+2): Dwarves are a hardy people and start with a d6 in Vigor, and its maximum is d12+1
    • Infravision (+1): Clan dwarves halve penalties for bad lighting when attacking creatures that radiate heat.
    • Resilient (+1): Dwarves gain either a +1 Toughness or Arcane skills targeting them suffer a -1 penalty (even if cast by allies!) and magical damage is reduced by 1 as well.
    • Tunnel-Born (+1): Clan dwarves were raised in the deep tunnels of the Kaladruns. They gain +1 to Athletics rolls when in close spaces (tunnels, allys, etc..).
    • Wanted (Major)(-2): As all fey creatures, dwarves are to be killed on sight or reported immediately

Elf, Caransil
    Classic Forest Elves
    • Graceful (+2): Elves start with a d6 in Agility.
    • Frail (-1): -1 Toughness
    • Low Light Vision (+1): Elves see well under conditions of scarce light, such as starlight or moonlight. They ignore attack penalties for Dim and Dark lighting.
    • Keen Senses (+1): Elves gain a +1 to Notice.
    • A Skilled People (+2): Caransil may either start with 5 extra Power Points, or two extra skill points at character creation.
    • Wanted (Major)(-2): As all fey creatures, elves are to be killed on sight or reported immediately
    • Native Language: Elven (d8) & Literacy

Elf, Erunsil
    Snow Elves: hardened warriors
    • Low Light Vision (+1): Elves see well under conditions of scarce light, such as starlight or moonlight. They ignore attack penalties for Dim and Dark lighting.
    • Of the North (+0): Erunsil have long lived in the frozen woods of the north. They gain a +2 to resist the environmental effects of cold but suffer a -2 to resist the environmental effects of heat.
    • Military Regime (+1): Erunsil have fought the forces of the Shadow for longer than any elven race, and have been constantly under attack for many years. Erunsil start with either a +1 to Parry or +1 to Toughness.
    • Wanted (Major)(-2): As all fey creatures, elves are to be killed on sight or reported immediately
    • Native Language: Elven (d8)

Elf, Danisil
    Jungles Elves: short, dark skinned, demon-fighters
    • Frail (-1): -1 Toughness
    • Of the Aruun (+1): The Aruun Jungle is a place teeming with strange flora and dangerous fiends. A Danisil start play with d4 in Herbalism, or gain a +1 to resist Fear.
    • Careful Steps (+1): The Arun is a dangerous place, and the Danisil learned to tread carefully. All Danisil start with a d6 in Stealth.
    • Native Language: Elven (d8)

Gnomes
    Riverfolk, traders, smugglers
    • Riverfolk (+2): Gnomes spend most of their lives on the rivers of Eredane. They start with a d4 in Boating skill, can hold their breath for 15 minutes before checking for drowning, and can move their full Pace in water.
    • Low Light Vision (+1): Gnomes see well under conditions of scarce light, such as starlight or moonlight. They ignore attack penalties for Dim and Dark lighting.
    • Small (-1): Gnomes average only about 3’5” tall. Their small size subtracts 1 from their Toughness. Gnomes have a Size of –1, and cannot take the Small Hindrance.
    • Slow (-1): Gnomes have a Pace of 5 and a running die of d4
    • Charming Smugglers (+2): While they are ferrying troops for the Shadow, they are also smuggling contraband for the resistance. Gnomes can choose to start with either the Charismatic or the Streetwise edge, ignoring its requirements.
    • Native Language: Trader’s Tongue (d8).

Halflings
    A nomadic people; hunted for slavery
    • Stoutheart (+2): Halfling spirit is hard to dampen. They start with a d6 in Spirit.
    • That Extra Something (+2): Even with the world against them, halfling somehow pull through . Halfing draw one additional Benny per game session.
    • Small (-1): Halflings average only about 3’ tall. Their small size subtracts 1 from their Toughness. Halflings have a Size of –1, and cannot take the Small Hindrance.
    • Slow (-1): Halflings have a Pace of 5 and a running die of d4
    • Low Light Vision (+1) Halflings see well under conditions of scarce light, such as starlight or moonlight. They ignore attack penalties for Dim and Dark lighting.
    • Careful Steps (+1): The world is a harsh place for the small folks. All halflings start with a d6 in Stealth.
    • Endurers (+1): Halfling are tougher than they look. They have a +1 bonus on any roll to resist fatigue.
    • Wanted (Major)(-2): Unlike most fey creatures, halfing are not killed on sight, rather they are captured for slavery.
    • Native Language: Halfling (d8)

Comment

Apparently my post was too long...

here's the rest of it:
      Humans, Dorns
      Northlander, clansmen, proud and fierce
      • Man of the North (+0): Dorns are used to the cold climates, and receive a +2 to resist the environmental effects of cold but suffer a -2 to resist the environmental effects of heat.
      • Adaptable (+2): Erenlanders start with a bonus Novice Edge they qualify for.
      • Fierce Mentality (+1): Dorns gain a +1 bonus to resist any opposed Smarts or Spirits rolls.
      • Native Language: Norther (d8)

Humans, Erenalanders
      Descendants of the Dorns and Sarcosans
      • Adaptable (+2): Erenlanders start with a bonus Novice Edge they qualify for.
      • Skilled (+1): Erenlanders receive an extra skill point at character creation.
      • Native Language: Erenlander (d8)

Humans, Sarcosans
      Southerners, city people, horsemen
      • Adaptable (+2): Sarcosans start with a bonus Novice Edge they qualify for.
      • People of City & Horse (+1): Sarcosans were a plains people riding their horse everywhere while maintaining a rich city culture. After the fall of the Shadow, Sarcosans are either this or that. Sarcosans gain a +1 bonus to either Riding or Persuasion.
      • Native Language: Colonial (d8)

Orcs
      Usually the bad guys, but once in a while…
      • Brute Force Does It (+4): Orcs begin with a starting Strength of d8. Furthermore, their natural maximum Strength is d12+2 and they can reach this rating with normal Advances without applying the Professional or Legendary Edges.
      • Size +1 (+1): Orcs are slightly larger than humans. They gain a +1 Toughness.
      • Dim (-2): Orcs are bred and trained from birth to be soldiers, independent thoughts is not entirely encouraged. Orcs suffer a -1 penalty to Smarts rolls.
      • Creatures of the North(+0): Orcs were created by Izrador in the North. They gain a +2 to resist the environmental effects of cold, but suffer a -2 penalty to resist the effects of heat
      • Light Sensitivity(-2): Orc eyes are sensitive to strong light. They suffer a -1 to sight bases Noticed rolls and Parry when in bright sunlight, or other bright settings.
      • Hated(-1): Orcs are the soldiers of Izardor and are hated by almost all races. They suffer a -2 penalty to Persuasion rolls during interaction with non-Orcs (some minor races, such as goblinoids, or agents of the Shadow might feel differently about this)
      • Night Predators (+1): Orcs feel at home during the night and in darkness. They gain Infravision, meaning they halve penalties for bad lighting when attacking creatures that radiate heat
      • Linguists (+1): Orcs have a natural affinity for languages. They start with their Smarts dice in Language Points (instead of the usual half Smarts dice), and do not need to roll their Smarts dice in order to improve their language competency.
      • Resilient (+1): Orcs gain either a +1 Toughness or Arcane skills targeting them suffer a -1 penalty (even if cast by allies!) and magical damage is reduced by 1 as well.
      • Native Languages: Black Tongue d4, Orcish d8

Dworgs
      Outcast children of Orcs on Dwarven women
      • Tough Bastards (+4): Dworgs are strong and tough. They start with a d6 in Strength and Vigor and may raise them both to d12+1 via normal advancement; the Expert and Master Edges may raise them to a d12+3
      • Dim (-2): Dworgs suffer -1 penalty to Smarts rolls
      • Night Predator (+1): Dworgs have Infravision. This allows them to halve penalties for bad lighting when attacking creatures that radiate heat
      • Outcasts (-1): Dworgs are hated by dwarves for their orcish blood; by orcs for their dwarvish taint; and by the rest because they resemble orcs too much. They suffer -1 to Persuasion rolls when dealing with other races.
      • Resilient (+1): Dworgs gain either a +1 Toughness or Arcane skills targeting them suffer a -1 penalty (even if cast by allies!) and magical damage is reduced by 1 as well.

Comment

• Crimson
        Crimson commented
        Editing a comment
        arnon, sorry that we keep passing like ships in the night. I though some of your insights were brilliant so thank you and I am glad i can inspire you in return. With that, I have some counters.
        First I think that most if not all races should have atleast a d4 in Trader's Tongue (Common) otherwise characters will have no hope of communicating. A flaw I missed is if we give the modified Multiple Languages Setting Rule, that the average intelligence character will begin with another fluent language (or smathering of other languages). So I think I will have languages as 4 points for all races basically broken down as Fluent (d8 for 3 points) in their language and Trader's (d4 for 1 point) all others. This will be like the Core skills which will push players to have the minimum to interact with the setting.

Next I will start with Humans I see as not having innate drawbacks, so no flaws/hindrances for either races.
        * For Dorn, I feel that Strength is their tell-tale trait, so I see them as Strength (2) and Cold Resistance (1), with Norther (d8) and Trader's (d4).
        I dont like giving them a Heat Penalty. I like the half Strong-Willed, but since they are a defeated race, I cant see making that their racial identity, but totally plays for PCs, maybe a suggested edge (I like that idea of suggested abilities).
        I would also like to keep the human Adaptable (atleast limited to Combat), but want to keep the humans simple, so I dropped that, think of it as a call back to their Intelligence knock from 3.X.

* We both agree that Erenlanders should be simple and totally adaptable, so Edge (2) and Skill (1) with Erenlander (d8) and Trader (d4).

* Sarcs, I struggled with how to emulate their "cultural divide" but I think your +1 to Persuasion or Riding is a succinct way to do it. my concern is that the Ride seems like the inferior choice and also they don't get the skill Riding and therefore the "knowledge" it imparts. Perhaps even though mechanically imbalanced, Ride d4 with +1 to Ride for Horses only, or an Ace variant "Born on Horse Back" which only applies to horses and Riding. I see the issue still that Ride is the less likely and inferior choice. I think I may do d4 Ride, and open the Born on Horseback edge, which could be modified to +2 Riding (horse only, instead of reduction of penalties) and can use Benny to soak for a horse they are mounted on. Change the requirement to d6 Riding from Agility d8. This calls back to the 1/4 cost for horse and makes the riding/plains people variant more attractive.
        So I think Sarcs would be Edge (2) and +1 to Persuasion or Ride d4 with Born on Horseback edge (as above), with Colonial (d8) and Trader's (d4).

For the Fey and others I will write later.

It's nice to see all the races properly balanced now.
      Here are my observations:

Danisil / Of the Aruun
      "...or gain a +1 to resist Fear."
      I would add that they also reduce the result of the Fear Table by 1 too. By itself, a +1 to Fear checks is a bit weak for a +1 ability (compare it to Brave Edge).

Gnomes / Riverfolk
      The Semi-Aquatic ability might not be a good fit here. I'd suggest replacing it with a +2 to Athletics (swimming) and can hold their breath for Vigor ×2 rounds (see Drowning Hazard).

Gnomes / Small
      In SWADE, races get the Size -1 ability and are still allowed to take Small. It just doesn't affect Size.

Halflings / That Extra Something
      Not a critique, but just a reminder that this would stack with the Luck Edges. If you don't mind characters potentially starting with 6 Bennies, that's fine. I suspect six was "one too many" for the SWADE devs, though, which is why core Half-folk just get the Luck Edge now.

Halflings / Small
      Same as with Gnomes.

Humans (all) / Adaptable
      "Bonus" is an odd word to use here.

Other than that, looks good!

Comment

• arnon
        arnon commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks

OK, here is another stab at races from my perspective:

Balanced Races internally, all start with fluency in there language and d4 in Trader's tongue (common for the setting).

There will be a settings rules follow up, but to start all characters begin with 1/2 Smarts in skills points to use on languages.

the Humans:
      Erenlander
      Adaptable (+2): Erenlanders start with a choice a free edge of their choice. They must still meet all prerequisites.
      Skilled (+1): Erenlanders are useful and productive as they are varied. They start with an additional skill point to use at character creation.
      Languages: Eranlanders begin with the following languages: Erenlander (d8) and Trader’s Tongue (d4).

Dorn
      Cold Tolerant (+1): Born in the north, the Dorn have learned to endure the cold they gain a +4 bonus to resist cold environmental effects.
      Strong (+2): Dorn are powerful. They start with a d6 in Strength instead of a d4, and their maximum strength is increased to d12+1 before the use of Professional and Expert.
      Languages: Dorn begin with the following languages: Norther (d8) and Trader’s Tongue (d4).

Sarcosan
      Adaptable (+2): Sarcosans start with a choice a free edge of their choice. They must still meet all prerequisites.
      Choice of either background: Choose one of the following below:
      Plains (+1): Sarcosans of the plains learn to ride and care for horses as soon as they can walk. They begin with d4 in the Riding skill. Additionally, cost of horses and tack is ¼ for a Sarcosan.
      Urban (+1): Sarcosan of the city learn how to navigate both those environs and their inhabitances. They gain a +1 to Persuasion rolls.
      Languages: Sarcosans begin with the following languages: Colonial (d8) and Trader’s Tongue (d4).
      Please come on down and see my SWAG. There I have a Settingless line of pdfs to enhance your Settings with new Setting Rules. Also I have a variety of 3D models for you to print your own Wild Card, Extras, Templates, and Status play aids.
      https://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse....ristian%20Merz
      Happy Gaming

Comment

the Fey
        Dwarf
        Able-Bodied (+1): Dwarves are quite capable and well balanced. Dwarves begin with Athletics d6.
        Arcane Resilience (+1): A Dwarven might extends beyond their bodies into supernatural resistance. Arcane skills targeting the dwarf suffer a −1 penalty (even if cast by allies!) and magical damage is reduced by 1 as well. This effect stacks with Arcane Resistance and the Improved version as well.
        Infravision (+1): Dwarves can see in the infrared spectrum, halving attack penalties (round down) for bad lighting.
        Lug (+1): Dwarves can carry more than most proportional to their Strength. They treat their Strength a one die-type higher for purposes of Encumbrance and Armor and Weapon Minimum Strength requirements.
        Slow (-1): Dwarves have shorter legs which reduces their Pace by 1 and the running die a die type.
        Vigorous (+2): Dwarves are hearty. They start with a d6 in Vigor instead of a d4, and their maximum Vigor is increased to d12+1 before the use of Professional and Expert.
        Wanted, Major (-2): All dwarves are hunted by the Shadow’s forces and killed on sight, they begin with the Wanted (Major) hindrance without gaining any extra points for it.
        Languages: Dwarves begin with the following languages: Dwarven (d8) and Trader’s Tongue (d4).
        • Option: Dworg: Dwarves may sacrifice 2 points gained from hindrances to be a dworg, the despised offspring of orcs and dwarves. Doing so, the Dworg gains
          • Not Slowed (+1) Pace of 6” with no running die reduction,
          • Strong (+2) start with a Strength of d6 instead of a d4, and trait maximum of d12+1, but are
          • Surly (-1) they lose their Persuasion (d4) core skill.
        Elf
        Agile (+2): Elves are graceful and agile. They start with a d6 in Agility instead of a d4, and their maximum Agility is increased to d12+1 before the use of Professional and Expert.
        Frail (-1): Elves are light and quick but they lack the toughness to take a good hit. They begin with 1 less Toughness.
        Low Light Vision (+1): Elven eyes amplify light like a cat’s, allowing them to see in the dark. Elves ignores attack penalties for Dim and Dark lighting.
        Perceptive (+1): Elves senses are far keener then most other sentients, the gain a +1 to all Notice skill checks.
        Proficient (+1): Elves are intuitive; they may choose a +5 to their Power Points for the Arcane Background (Channeler) or start with an additional skill point to use at character creation.
        Wanted, Major (-2): All elves are hunted by the Shadow’s forces and killed on sight, they begin with the Wanted (Major) hindrance without gaining any extra points for it.
        Whisper (+1): Elves can hear the whisper, the language of the forest. This is a skill akin to a language at d4. This is an unspoken language where the Whispering Woods in the homelands of the Elves may speak to warn of dangers or help in times of need, Elves can naturally hear it. Elves may increase their skill in Whisper to discern more information or gain additional aid.
        Languages: Elves begin with the following languages: Elven (d8) and Trader’s Tongue (d4).
        • Option: Subrace: Elves may sacrifice 2 points gained from hindrances to be a either Danisil (Jungle) or Erunsil (Snow) Elven subrace.
          • Danisil gain
            • Immunity to Poison (+1) they gain immunity to poison effects, be they from mundane or magical sources, and
            • Covert (+1) which increases their Stealth to d6, which their maximum Stealth is increased to d12+1 before the use of Professional and Expert.
          • Erunsil gain
            • Cold Tolerant (+1) as the Dorn, and
            • Perseverance (+1) that makes up for their weaker constitutions by training and the virtue of their enhanced reflexes which increases their Parry by +1.
        Gnome
        Charismatic (+2): Gnomes are very likeable and shrewd traders; they gain the Charismatic edge for free and may ignore the requirements.
        Low Light Vision (+1): Gnomes eyes amplify light like a cat’s, allowing them to see in the dark. Gnomes ignores attack penalties for Dim and Dark lighting.
        The River is My Home (+2): Gnomes are as at home in the water upon it. They begin with a d4 in Boating and the cost of watercraft is ¼ for a Gnome. Additionally, they can hold their breath of 15 minutes before checking for drowning. They may also move at full Pace when swimming.
        Slow (-1): Gnomes are small, which reduces their Pace by 1 and the running die a die type.
        Small (-1): Gnomes smaller than humans. They are Size -1 (which reduces their Toughness by 1 as well).
        Languages: Gnomes begin with the following languages: Trader’s Tongue (d8) and a choice unrestricted languages (starting at d4).
        • Option: Dwarrow: Gnomes may sacrifice 2 points gained from hindrances to gain the Brawny edge (ignoring any requirements) as the result of being the offspring of a union between a gnome and a dwarf. If raised with the dwarves, the Dwarrow should have Dwarven (d8) and Trader’s Tongue (d4) instead of the languages listed above.
        Halfling
        Enslaved (-2): All halflings are maltreated and enslaved by the Shadow’s forces. They are treated like second-class citizens at best and typically slaves, they begin with the Outsider (Major) hindrance without gaining any extra points for it.
        Fortunate (+2): Halflings draw one additional Benny per game session. This may be combined with the Luck and Great Luck Edges.
        Healing Hands (+2): Halflings know lore to sooth wounds caused by their oppressors. They begin with d4 in the Healing skill. Halflings may also use their Healing skill to remove Fatigue effects. Additionally, Halflings are never considered without supplies for the purpose of healing.
        Low Light Vision (+1): Halflings eyes amplify light like a cat’s, allowing them to see in the dark. Halflings ignores attack penalties for Dim and Dark lighting.
        Short (-1): Halflings average only about 3 to 3-1/2 feet tall. This gives them a Size of –1 and subtracts 1 from their Toughness.
        Slow (-1): Halflings are small, which reduces their Pace by 1 and the running die a die type.
        Spirited (+2): Half-folk are generally optimistic beings. They start with a d6 Spirit instead of a d4.
        Languages: Halflings begin with the following languages: Halflings (d8) and Trader’s Tongue (d4).
        Orc
        Alpha (+0): Orc culture is ruled by aggression and fear; they begin with d4 in the Intimidation skill, but suffer -1 to all Persuasion checks.
        Cold Tolerant (+1): Born in the far north, the Orcs have learned to endure the cold they gain a +4 bonus to resist cold environmental effects.
        Dull (-2): Orcs are followers and uncultured, Smarts trait (but not its linked skills) suffers a -1 penalty.
        Heavy as Rocks (-1): Orcs gain the Can’t Swim hindrance without gaining the points for it.
        Infravision (+1): Orcs can see in the infrared spectrum, halving attack penalties (round down) for bad lighting.
        Light Sensitive (-2): Orcs are sensitive to bright light. When in bright light (sunlight) they take a -1 to all trait checks and reduce their Parry by 1 as well.
        Polyglot (+2): Orcs are master linguists; they begin with their full Smarts in language skill points (instead of the half normal Smarts for other races).
        Really Strong (+4): Orcs are very powerful, they begin with a d8 in Strength and may raise it to a d12+3 (including Size +1) via normal advancement; the Expert and Master edges may raise it to a d12+5.
        Size (+1): Orcs average about 7’ tall. This gives them a Size of +1 which adds 1 to their Toughness and increases their maximum Strength by one die-type.
        Tribal (-1): Orcs are born and breed into a strict matriarchal society where they are expected to die for the mother-wives and their brethren. Orcs begin with the Loyal (Minor) hindrance without gaining any extra point for it.
        Languages: Orcs begin with the following languages: Orcish (d8) and Trader’s Tongue (d4).
        • Option: Motherless (-2): Orcs that have abandoned or been abandoned by their tribes (lose Tribal) aren’t trusted by most other races or their any brethren, and so Secret (Minor) hindrance or Wanted (Minor) instead of the Loyal hindrance, gaining no additional points.
        Please come on down and see my SWAG. There I have a Settingless line of pdfs to enhance your Settings with new Setting Rules. Also I have a variety of 3D models for you to print your own Wild Card, Extras, Templates, and Status play aids.
        Happy Gaming

Comment

Here is my idea for Heroic Paths. As a quick description, each player gains one and it is chosen at character creation and never changed. Traditionally in Midnight (a d20/3.X setting) you would get something like a skill bonus, an ability increase, access to a spell or the like (supernatural or extraordinary ability). With that, I decided to keep FFF of SW, to do a once a Rank (gained when first attaining the rank) a gain of something.

One note, that I will need to mention, is any spells would be access as "Innate Magic" in midnight. There are no good guy priests (i.e divine casters), only the darklord's which have a familiar like creature which can detect "arcane" magic. They hunt down mages for death or recruitment. Innate Magic exists in a limbo that is not "divine" nor "arcane" (gifted by the land, which is semi-deity which is trying to rid itself of the cancer and corruption of the Sauron-like evil god that now rules the realm.

That said all characters would be more powerful (like each race being balanced as +3), but this makes up for the cards being down and the odds on the baddies side. Also it makes up for the lack of magical items, which act as beacons for the dark priests which hunt your hero from a D&D perspective. It is like becoming a scion of a type of aspect. These are for the most part internally balanced among themselves. This is my version 1, subject to change with thought, play and of course feedback.

There are many, my initial though was to pair down the original 32 down to maybe 20ish. I may condense them down yet, but initial want to see them all through. The names are pretty evocative, but if need I can expand on them to help if they don't make sense.

The system is about an edge (or 2 race points) for each rank, with the exception of Novice which is 3 points (typically an edge and a single skill increase).

Beast -
          Novice: Low Light Vision [1]: The Beast ignores penalties for Dim or Dark illumination (but not Pitch Darkness). If they already have Low Light Vision, they gain a +2 to Survival rolls when tracking.
          Claws [2]: The hero has claws which cause Str+d4 damage.
          Seasoned: Berserker (edge): The hero gains the listed edge regardless of requirements.
          Veteran: Attribute: The hero may increase either their Agility, Strength, or Vigor.
          Heroic: Leaper [2]: The Beast can jump twice as far as listed under Movement. In addition, they adds +4 to damage when leaping as part of a Wild Attack instead of the usual +2 (unless in a closed or confined space where they cannot leap horizontally or vertically— GM’s call).
          Legendary: Arcane Background (Beast) [2]: The hero gains an Arcane Background: Beast, this acts as Gifted Arcane Background, but uses Vigor as its Arcane Skill, Boost Trait power* and only 5 Power Points. * Boost Trait power is activated as an Innate Ability usable only on the Beast (i.e. Range of Self). They may only increase their Agility, Strength, Vigor, Athletics, and Fighting with this ability for 1 PP with a +1 to the activation roll due to these limitations.

Chanceborn -
          Novice: Skill: The hero gains a skill of their choice.
          Luck (edge): The hero gains the listed edge regardless of requirements.
          Seasoned: Elan (edge): The hero gains the listed edge regardless of requirements.
          Veteran: Fortunate [2]: Once per session, the chanceborn may add a +d6 to any trait or damage roll.
          Heroic: Serendipity [2]: Once per encounter, the chanceborn may either reroll a failed trait roll they have just performed, or make an enemy discard a trait roll directly against them, then reroll it from scratch.
          Legendary: Nimble [2]: from Rifts

Charismatic -

Novice: Persuasion: The hero gains a d6 in the listed skill.
          Charismatic (edge): The hero gains the listed edge regardless of requirements.
          Seasoned: Spirit: The hero gains the listed attribute.
          Veteran: Edge Choice: The hero gains any Leadership edge they meet the requirements for.
          Heroic: Edge Choice: The hero gains either the Sidekick or Followers edge.
          Legendary: Arcane Background (Charismatic) [2]: The hero gains an Arcane Background: Charismatic, this acts as the Gifted Arcane Background, but uses Spirit as its Arcane Skill, the Boost/Lower Trait power and 10 Power Points.

Happy Gaming

Comment

Dragonblooded - (power give through this Path is considered Magic, and can be detected by Legate's
            Novice: Spellcasting: The hero gains a d4 in the listed skill.
            Arcane Background: Magic (edge): The hero gains the listed edge regardless of requirements.
            Seasoned: Smarts: The hero gains the listed attribute.
            Veteran: Edge Choice: The hero gains any Power edge they meet the requirements for.
            Heroic: Power Points (edge): The hero gains the Power Points edge, this does not count again the Dragonblooded's limit per Rank.
            Legendary: Innate Ability [2]: The Dragonblooded may choose one Power they have, it becomes an Innate Ability.

Earthbonded -
            Novice: Notice: The hero gains a d6 in the listed skill.
            Alertness (edge): The hero gains the listed edge regardless of requirements.
            Seasoned: Vigor: The hero gains the listed attribute.
            Veteran: Burrow (Powerful) [2]: The Earthbonded can phase into loose earth or even solid rock and move through it at half normal Pace (he cannot run). They cannot normally be attacked while burrowing, and can attempt to surprise opponents who didn’t see them coming by making an opposed Stealth vs. Notice roll. If successful, the burrower adds +2 to their attack and damage rolls that round, or +4 with a raise (he has The Drop). Certain materials or magics may bar their passage as the GM's discretion.
            Heroic: Darkvision [2]: The Earthbonded can see in the dark through echolocation and sensing vibrations. They ignore all penalties due to illumination.
            Legendary: Toughness [2]: The hero gains 2 points of Toughness.

Faithful -
            Novice: Faith: The hero gains a d4 in the listed skill.
            Arcane Background: Miracles (edge): The hero gains the Arcane Background Miracles. This uses Faith as its Arcane Skill, they gain the Boost Trait {Only} (1 PP activation), Fear (1 PP activation, restriction it is usable only on Undead or Outsiders), and Light {only} (1 PP activation) powers, and 10 Power Points. No additional Powers are this Arcane Background's list.
            Veteran: Holy Warrior (edge): The hero gains the listed edge regardless of requirements.
            Heroic: New Powers (edge): The Faithful gains the Dispel and Banish powers.
            Legendary: Enhanced Powers [2]: the Faithful gains the following power modifiers:
            Banish – Banish the Horde = from Rifts Mega Modifiers
            Boost Trait – Greater Boost Trait = from Rifts Mega Modifiers
            Dispel – Exalted Dispel = from Rifts Mega Modifiers
            Fear - Greater Fear = from Rifts Mega Modifiers
            Light - Exalted Light = from Rifts Mega Modifiers

Fellhunter -
            Novice: Occult: The hero gains a d4 in the listed skill.
            Arcane Background (Fellhunter) [2]: The hero gains an Arcane Background: Fellhunter, this acts as the Gifted Arcane Background, but uses Occult as its Arcane Skill, Detect/Conceal Arcana* power, and only 10 Power Points. * Detect/Conceal Arcana is activated as an Innate Ability usable only on the Fellhunter (i.e. Range of Self). The Detect portion of this power will only detect undead but ignores line of sight. With a raise on the activation, the Fellhunter gains insight on present undead stats (typically a weakness). Detect Undead costs 1 power point. For Conceal portion of this power, the effect works exactly as the Invisibility power, but only on any undead perception (magical or otherwise) with a duration equal to 5 rounds and costs 2 power points.
            Seasoned: Champion (edge): The hero gains the listed edge regardless of requirements.
            Veteran: Spirit or Vigor: The hero choose between the listed attributes.
            Heroic: Iron Will (edge): The hero gains the listed edge regardless of requirements.
            Legendary: Disrupting Attack [2]: Once per encounter, the Fellhunter may elect to add the effect of the Banish power on any successful melee attack. This requires an Occult roll to activate.

Feyblooded -
            Novice: Psionics: The hero gains a d4 in the listed skill. This is altered to a Spirit-based skill.
            Arcane Background (Psionics) [2]: The hero gains an Arcane Background: Psionics, but uses Psionics as its Arcane Skill, Detect/Conceal Arcana and two (2) powers from the list below and 10 Power Points. Powers List: Confusion, Darksight, Disguise, Empathy, Illusion, Invisibility, Slumber, and Sound/Silence. Rank limitations still apply.
            Seasoned: Edge Choice: The hero gains any Power edge they meet the requirements for.
            Veteran: Agility or Spirit: The hero choose between the listed attributes.
            Heroic: Edge Choice: The hero gains any Power edge they meet the requirements for.
            Legendary: Fey Fortune: Whenever the Fey draws a Joker, they gain a +4 to all Trait and damage rolls this round.
            Happy Gaming

Comment

Giantblooded -
              Requirements: Only Humans, Orcs or Dworgs may gain this Heroic Path.
              Novice: Distinctive Appearance (minor): The hero gains for no additional points the listed Hindrance. The Giantblooded are larger (typically a foot or more) then typical making it nearly impossible to blend in (-2 on Stealth rolls). With time, the hero will continue to grow as they advance, making them more distinguishable.
              Brawny and Brute (edges): The hero gains the listed edges regardless of requirements.
              Seasoned: Strength: The hero gains the listed attribute.
              Veteran: Size [1]: The Giantblooded is larger than normal. This Size adds directly to Toughness and increases maximum Strength one step.
              Reach [1]: Long limbs grant the hero Reach +1 .
              Heroic: Fearsome Charge [2]: The hero may ignore the penalty for Running when making a Fighting attack at the end of their movement. If the Giantblooded moves at least one inch beyond their normal Pace before making any Fighting attacks, the hero adds +2 to the damage rolls. Any target Shaken by such an attack is knocked prone.
              Legendary: Hardy [2]: A second Shaken result in combat does not cause a Wound.

Guardian -
              Novice: Command* (edge): The hero gains the listed edge regardless of requirements. * Additionally, the Command edge possessed by the Guardian grants the same bonus to Fear checks to all those subordinates within their Command Range.
              Veteran: Champion (edge): The hero gains the listed edge regardless of requirements.
              Heroic: Hew [2]: The hero may ignore 2 points of Armor when making successful Fighting attacks.
              Legendary: Arcane Background (Guardian) [2]: The hero gains an Arcane Background: Guardian, this acts as the Gifted Arcane Background, but uses Vigor as its Arcane Skill, the Warrior's Gift power and 10 Power Points.

Healer -
              Novice: Healing: The hero gains a d4 in the listed skill.
              Arcane Background (Healer) [2]: The hero gains tan Arcane Background: Healer, this acts as the Gifted Arcane Background, but uses Healing as its Arcane Skill, the Heal and Relief powers and 10 Power Points.
              Veteran: Hands of a Healer [2]: The Healer's healing increases a die-type (including its trait's maximums) and the hero is always considered to have a Medic Kit.
              Heroic: Enhanced Powers [2]: The hero gains the following power modifiers:
              Healing – Mass Healing = from Rifts Mega Modifiers
              Relief – Mass Relief = from Rifts Mega Modifiers
              Legendary: Revitalization [2]: The Healer gains the Resurrection and Regeneration powers. Resurrection works as described with the following exceptions: The power suffers only a -4 to the casting roll (instead of the normal -8), but only works on decease only a day or 1 week if the power modifier is applied.
              The Healer also gains the following modifier to the Healing power: Rejuvenation. This replaces the Crippling Injuries modifier, but allows for regeneration of lost limbs or members. It will also repair blindness and damage to other sensory organs. Furthermore this removes the restriction of the Healer to not heal an injury they failed a casting roll on, and the recipient is no longer Exhausted for 24 hours.

Ironborn -
              Novice: Wrought [1]: The Ironborn ignores Wound Penalties on Natural Healing rolls.
              Iron Jaw (edge): The hero gains the listed edge regardless of requirements.
              Veteran: Toughness [1]: The Ironborn's Toughness increases by 1 point.
              Environmental Resistance (All) [1]: The Ironborn receives a +1 bonus to resist all negative environmental effect. Damage from that source is also reduced by 1.
              Heroic: Tough As Nails (edge): The hero gains the listed edge regardless of requirements.
              Legendary: Regeneration [2]: The Ironborn may make a natural healing roll once per day (rather than every five days).

Jack-of-All-Trades -
              Jack-of-All-Trades (edge): The hero gains the listed edge regardless of requirements.
              Seasoned: 2 Skill Points: The hero gains 2 skill points to advance as normal.
              Veteran: Attribute: The hero gains an attribute of their choice.
              Heroic: Edge Choice: The hero gains any edge they meet the requirements for.
              Legendary: Ace [2]: The Jack-of-All-Trades chooses 2 skills and gives each one a +1 to all trait rolls for those skills. These skill may not be picked from a Combat (Fighting or Shooting) or Arcane Skill (Spellcasting).
              Happy Gaming

Comment

Mountainborn -
                Novice: Stealth: The hero gains a d6 in the listed skill.
                Free Runner (edge): The hero gains the listed edge regardless of requirements.
                Veteran: Danger Sense* (edge): The hero gains the listed edge regardless of requirements. * The Mountainborn may get an immediate action if they get a raise on their Notice roll to avoid Ambushes.
                Heroic: Warden [2]: The Mountainborn gains a +1 to all Stealth and Survival rolls. They may also choose to not leave a trail if they desire, making them all but impossible to track without magical means.
                Legendary: Unrelenting [2]: The Mountainborn become immune to the effects of The Drop and the Vulnerable condition.

Naturefriend -
                Novice: Faith: The hero gains a d4 in the listed skill.
                Woodsmen (edge): The hero gains the listed edge regardless of requirements.
                Seasoned: Arcane Background: Miracles (edge): The hero gains the Arcane Background Miracles. This uses Faith as its Arcane Skill, they gain the Entangle, Beast Friend*, Light/Darkness powers, and 10 Power Points. No additional Powers are this Arcane Background's list. * Beast Friend may be used on Plants as well as Animals.
                Veteran: Smarts or Spirit: The hero choose between the listed attributes.
                Heroic: Beast Master (edge): The hero gains the listed edge regardless of requirements. The beast may be a Plant or Animal. The creature is also considered a Wild Card.
                Legendary: Enhanced Powers [2]: The hero gains the following power modifiers:
                *Beast Friend – Elemental Friend (+2): For +2 Power Points, Elementals creature types may be effected by Beast Friend. Beast Friend can nornally effect Plant-based creatures as well.
                *Darkness Storm-surge (+5) For +5 Power Points, all with the area of Darkness also suffer 2d6 damage for the first round it is activated. Also until the duration ends, any within the area of effect are considered to be moving through Difficult Ground. This modifier can only be used in the outdoors.

Northblooded -
                Novice: Survival: The hero gains a d4 in the listed skill.
                Aura of Warmth [2]: The Northblooded receives a +4 bonus to resist all cold-based negative environmental effect. Damage from cold is also reduced by 4. Additionally all allies within a Medium Blast Template centered on the Northblooded gain this Environmental Resistance as well.
                Veteran: Block (edge): The hero gains the listed edge regardless of requirements.
                Heroic: Arcane Background (Northblooded) [2]: The hero gains the Arcane Background: Northblooded, this acts as the Gifted Arcane Background, but uses Vigor as its Arcane Skill, the Smite power and 10 Power Points.
                Legendary: Weapon Master (edge): The hero gains the listed edge regardless of requirements.

Painless -
                Novice: Intimidation: The hero gains a d4 in the listed skill.
                Nerves of Steel (edge): The hero gains the listed edge regardless of requirements.
                Veteran: Strong Willed (edge): The hero gains the listed edge regardless of requirements.
                Heroic: Fury [2]: The Painless adds their current Wounds to any Fighting damage rolls, to a maximum of +3. A hero with three Wounds, for example, adds +3 to his melee damage. It has no effect on ranged or thrown attacks.
                Legendary: Resilient [2]: The Painless gains an additional Wound before they're Incapacitated.

Pureblooded -
                Requirements: Only a Human (Erenlander) may gain this Heroic Path.
                Charismatic (edge): The hero gains the listed edge regardless of requirements.
                Seasoned: 2 Skill Points: The hero gains 2 skill points to advance as normal.
                Veteran: Attribute: The hero gains an attribute of their choice.
                Legendary: Ace [2]: The Jack-of-All-Trades chooses 2 skills and gives each one a +1 to all trait rolls for those skills. These skill may not be picked from a Combat (Fighting or Shooting) or Arcane Skill (Spellcasting).

Quickened-
                Novice: Athletics: The hero gains a d6 in the listed skill.
                Quick (edge): The hero gains the listed edge regardless of requirements.
                Seasoned: Agility: The hero gains the listed attribute.
                Veteran: Pace [2]: The Quickened's Pace is increased by +2 and their running die is increased a die-type.
                Heroic: Nimble [2]: from Rifts
                Legendary: Split the Seconds [2]: from Rifts
                Happy Gaming

Comment

Seaborn-
                  Novice: Athletics: The hero gains a d6 in the listed skill.
                  Aquatic [2]: The Seaborn is native to the water. They cannot drown in oxygenated liquid and move at their full Pace when swimming.
                  Seasoned: Environmental Resistance (Cold) [1]: The Seaborn receives a +4 bonus to resist all cold-based negative environmental effect. Damage from cold is also reduced by 4.
                  Infravision [1]: The Seaborn sense subtle vibrations and well in murky conditions. This halves Illumination penalties when attacking targets (including invisible beings).
                  Veteran: Agility or Strength: The hero choose between the listed attributes.
                  Heroic: Arcane Background (Seaborn) [2]: The hero gains an Arcane Background: Seaborn, this acts as the Gifted Arcane Background, but uses Agility as its Arcane Skill, the Deflection and the Summon Ally* powers and 10 Power Points. * Summon Ally will only allow aquatic creatures to be summoned.
                  Legendary: Puissant [2]: The Seaborn regains their Power Points in half the time while submerged in water. They may also make a Natural Healing roll once per day if they have been submerged for at least one hour that day.

Seer -
                  Novice: Notice: The hero gains a d6 in the listed skill.
                  Alertness (edge): The hero gains the listed edge regardless of requirements.
                  Seasoned: Arcane Background (Seer) [2]: The hero gains the Arcane Background: Seer, this acts as the Gifted Arcane Background, but uses Notice as its Arcane Skill, the Detect Arcana (only, power point cost decreased to 1 for limitation) and the Object Reading powers and 10 Power Points.
                  Heroic: New Powers (edge): The Seer gains the Divination and Summon Ally* powers. * Summon Ally appears only as a near invisible floating eye which has the following statics called a Sensor. This Sensor costs 1 Power Point and automatically has the Mind Rider modifier applied at no extra cost.
                  Sensor
                  Attributes: Agility d8, Smarts d4, Spirit d4, Strength d4-3, Vigor d6
                  Skills: Athletics d4, Notice d10, Stealth d10
                  Pace: 0 (see Flight below); Parry: 2; Toughness: 1
                  Special Abilities:
                  • Size: -4 (Tiny); -6 Scale Modifier.
                  • Flight: Moves at Pace of 6, may Run (d6) as normal.
                  • Infravision: The sensor halves Illumination penalties when attacking warm targets (including invisible beings).
                  • Near Invisibility: The sensor is transparent so any action taken against it requiring sight is made at a -4.
                  • Magical: The sensor can be Banished.
                  • Can not Speak: The sensor can not communicated except via mind rider with its master.
                  • No Hands: The sensor can not manipulate any items.
                  Legendary: Prescience [2]: The Seer draws an additional Action Card in combat and chooses which to use. This ability stacks with Level Headed and the Improve version of these edges.

Speaker -
                  Novice: Performance: The hero gains a d4 in the listed skill.
                  Attractive (edge): The hero gains the listed edge regardless of requirements. This trapping of this edge pertains to the Speaker's voice, so they do not standout in crowds by appearance.
                  Veteran: Arcane Background (Psionics) [2]: The hero gains the Arcane Background: Psionics, but uses Performance as its Arcane Skill, the Slumber, Sound/Silence, and Speak Languages powers, and 10 Power Points. No additional Powers are available for this Arcane Background's list until the Speaker gains Legendary as listed below.
                  Heroic: Skill [2]: The Speaker increases their choice of either Performance or Persuasion by a die-type. The chosen skill’s maximum increases by +1. This bonus stacks with the Professional and Expert edges. The Speaker can also no longer be silence by any means.
                  Legendary: New Powers (edge): The Speaker gains the following powers: Burst (no power point cost increase for damaging spells) and Puppet.

Spellsoul - (this is a bit unbalanced, since a number of the powers given are "selfless" not for themself's, this may be the too unbalanced)
                  Requirements: The Spellsoul may not take any Arcane Background (edge).
                  Arcane Resistance (edge): The hero gains the listed edge regardless of requirements.
                  Spirit Battery [1]: The hero gains 5 Power Points, which they can not use themselves (they do not have access to any Arcane Background), but they may lend up to that amount they wish to a spellcaster of their choice within Spirit inches distance, these may be used to power spells or as power modifiers. These Power Points recharge as normal.
                  Seasoned: Attribute: The hero gains an attribute of their choice.
                  Veteran: Improved Spirit Battery [1]: The hero gains an additional 5 Power Points (10 total).
                  Empower Magic [1]: The Spellsoul gains the Extra Effort edge, which they may spend their Power Points on a spellcaster within Spirit inches distance.
                  Legendary: Modify Magic [2]: The Spellsoul may spend 2 Power Points to redirect the effect of a power activated within Spirit inches distance to another area or target (including themselves) within Spirit inches distance from the Spellsoul. The hero may a act as having the Wizard edge for modifying trappings on Powers activated within Spirit inches distance. Alternately, the hero may add Power Modifiers to powers activated in their presence without users permission if they win on an opposed Spirit verses Arcane Skill roll.

Shadow Walker -
                  Novice: Stealth: The hero gains a d6 in the listed skill.
                  Fleet-Footed (edge): The hero gains the listed edge regardless of requirements.
                  Seasoned: Agility: The hero gains the listed attribute.
                  Veteran: Darkvision [2]: The Earthbonded can see in the dark through enhanced senses. They ignore all penalties due to illumination.
                  Heroic: Arcane Background (Shadow Walker) [2]: The hero gains the Arcane Background: Shadow Walker, this acts as the Gifted Arcane Background, but uses Stealth as its Arcane Skill, the Teleport* power and 10 Power Points. * Teleport is activated as an Innate Ability usable only on the Shadow Walker and may only be used to teleport to and from areas with at least the Dim illumination.
                  Legendary: Nimble [2]: from Rifts
                  Happy Gaming

Comment

Steelblooded -
                    Novice: Fighting: The hero gains a d4 in the listed skill.
                    Edge Choice (edge): The hero gains any Combat edge, they may ignore any non-edge requirements listed for that edge.
                    Seasoned: Weapon's Training [2]: The hero gains Chi edge. This version of the edge can work with any weapon the Steelblooded is using.
                    Veteran: Agility or Strength: The hero choose between the listed attributes.
                    Heroic: Hew [2]: The hero may ignore 2 points of Armor when making successful Fighting attacks.
                    Legendary: Weapon Master (edge): The hero gains the listed edge regardless of requirements.

Sunderborn -
                    Novice: Skill Bonus [1]: The Sunderborn gains a +2 to Persuasion with any Outsider.
                    Infravision [1]: The hero “sees” heat, either through eyes. This halves Illumination penalties when attacking targets (including invisible beings).
                    Detect Outsider [1]: The Sunderborn can sense Outsiders on an instinctual level. This ability acts like the Detect Arcana (only) power usable by the Notice skill but only senses Outsiders and their abilities within range but ignores line of sight. This is an Innate ability and costs no Power Points. With a raise on the Notice roll, the Sunderborn gains insight on present Outsider stats (typically a weakness).
                    Seasoned: Berserker (edge): The hero gains the listed edge regardless of requirements.
                    Veteran: Spirit or Strength: The hero choose between the listed attributes.
                    Heroic: Arcane Background (Sunderborn) [2]: The hero gains an Arcane Background: Sunderborn, this acts as the Gifted Arcane Background, but uses Spirit as its Arcane Skill, the Darksight and the Summon Ally* powers, but with only 10 Power Points. * The Summon Ally power always costs 4 Power Points, but the Outsider summoned is randomly determined.
                    Legendary: Sleep Reduction [1]: The Sunderborn needs half the normal amount of sleep as humans.
                    Resist Outsider [1]: The Sunderborn has an uncanny ability to shrug off the effects of outsiders. Arcane skills and special abilities from Outsiders targeting the hero suffer a −2 penalty (even if cast by allies!) and magical damage is reduced by 2 as well. This stacks with the Arcane Resistance and the Improved version of this edge as well as the Arcane Protection power.

Tactician -
                    Novice: Battle: The hero gains a d4 in the listed skill.
                    Command (edge): The hero gains the listed edge regardless of requirements.
                    Veteran: Edge Choice: The hero gains any Leadership edge they meet the requirements for.
                    Heroic: Art of War [2]: The Tactician gains a free reroll on all Battle rolls.
                    Legendary: Battle Orders [2]: The Tactician . The hero increases all modifiers for Leadership edges by +1. Command Radius becomes linked to their Smarts as inches, double Smarts if they have the Command Presence edge.

Warg -
                    Requirements: Upon taking this heroic path, the Warg chooses an normal animal type such as Bear, Cat, Dog, Lion, Mule, Wolf (use Dire Wolf stats), War Horse, Raptor (bird of pray) or Snake, etc. The creature is known as their Chosen Animal, and their Beast Master and Animal Form are forever linked to that animal type and can not change. Some animals are more powerful then others, but can not easily move about civilized areas without suspicion or action.
                    Novice: Survival: The hero gains a d4 in the listed skill.
                    Beast Master (edge): The hero gains the listed edge regardless of requirements. This attracted animal with GM approval may be larger then Size 0 as per the requirements section above.
                    Seasoned: Animal Form [2]: The Warg may assume the form of their Chosen Animal as per the Shape Change power into that at will. Since there is no activation roll, so no raises are possible. Animal Form is an action to change from their natural form to the animal's form or vise versa.
                    Veteran: Attribute: The hero may increase either their Agility, Strength, or Vigor. This attribute carries over to their Animal Form ability.
                    Heroic: Ferocity [2]: The Warg may ignore 1 point of Wound penalties, this ability stacks with the Nerves of Steel and the Improved version of this edge.
                    Legendary: Regeneration [2]: The Warg may make a natural healing roll once per day (rather than every five days).
                    Happy Gaming

Comment

here are some bonus Heroic paths from one of the non-core book

Blessed -
                      Novice: Distinctive Appearance (minor): The hero gains for no additional points the listed Hindrance. The Blessed are striking (typically beautiful, albeit in some atypical fashion) then typical making it nearly impossible to blend in (-2 on Stealth rolls). With time, the hero will continue to grow more unearthly, making them more distinguishable.
                      Very Attractive (edge): The hero gains both the Attractive and Very Attractive edges regardless of the requirements.
                      Veteran: Arcane Background: Miracles (edge): The hero gains the Arcane Background Miracles. This uses Faith as its Arcane Skill, they gains the Healing, Protection, and Smite powers, and 10 Power Points. No additional Powers are on this Arcane Background's list.
                      Heroic: Champion (edge): The hero gains the listed edge regardless of requirements.
                      Legendary: Beatific [2]: The Blessed become Immune to Disease [1] and Poison [1]. Additionally they cease to age, even magically.

Null -
                      Requirements: The Null may not take any Arcane Background (edge), except what is given by this Heroic Path.
                      Novice: Arcane Resistance and Improved Arcane Resistance (edges): The hero gains the listed edges regardless of requirements.
                      Seasoned: Arcane Background (Null) [2]:The hero gains an Arcane Background: Null, this acts as the Gifted arcane background, but uses Spirit as its Arcane Skill, the Detect/Conceal Arcana power and 10 Power Points.
                      Veteran: Spirit: The hero gains the listed attribute.
                      Heroic: New Powers (edge): The Null gains the Arcane Protection and Dispel powers.
                      Legendary: Enhanced Power [1]: The hero gains the following power modifiers:
                      Dispel – Exalted Dispel from Rift's Mega modifiers
                      New Power [1]: The Null gains the Drain Power Points power.

Shadowed -
                      Novice: Intimidation: The hero gains a d4 in the listed skill.
                      Darkvision [2]: The Shadowed can see in the dark without any problems. They ignore all penalties due to illumination.
                      Seasoned: Our Master's Will [2]: The Shadowed can invoke this ability to effectively have the Connections Edge with any person or group. Make an Intimation or Persuasion roll at −2 (or an opposed roll for powerful contacts) to see if they can be leveraged or convinced to help in any way. A failure on the check expends that session’s use of the Edge. If successful, the favor depends on the nature of the contact (GM fiat) but might include loaning useful equipment, a few allied fighters, transportation, information, or even a professional with critical skills the party doesn’t have, like a healing, occultist, or scholar.
                      Veteran: Attribute:The hero gains an attribute of their choice.
                      Heroic: Death Knell [2]: Once per encounter, when the Shadowed kills an opponent, they may increase their Strength by one die-type for the remainder of the encounter. If the foe is a wildcard, the Strength increase is by two die-types.
                      Legendary: Fear [2]: The Shadowed causes all in their presence to be subjected to a Fear check. Others may become jaded when regularly in their company, but this is a permanent effect which can not be suppressed without powers to Disguise or become Invisible.

Wiser -
                      Jack-of-All-Trades (edge): The hero gains the listed edge regardless of requirements.
                      Seasoned: Smarts: The hero gains the listed attribute.
                      Veteran: 2 Skill Points plus Literacy: The hero gains 2 skill points to advance as normal. The Wiser also gains Literacy in a single language they already know.
                      Heroic: Skilled: Once per encounter, the Wiser may gain a free re-roll on any non-Arcane Smarts-based skill roll of their choice.
                      Legendary: Insight [2]: The Wiser chooses three Smarts-based skills, each gains a +1 to the total whenever those skills are used.
                      Happy Gaming

Comment

Any feedback is welcome, do this seem crazy or do they seem self balanced and reasonable?
                        Happy Gaming

Comment

With 32 options, I fear this will cause "information paralysis" during the character creation process. Still, I commend you on the ambitious endeavor!

I only had time to look over the first few.

Beast
                          • Since Berserk is a Novice Edge and this path provides it Seasoned, maybe offer a secondary option in case the player either a) already has it, or b) doesn't want it.
                          • The boost Trait power can be used to give the player a de facto Berserk effect, without any of the drawbacks. The character can spend one turn boosting Vigor and Strength at no MAP (due to the the first casting being Innate), but not suffer the Reckless Abandon effect. Furthermore, the effects would stack with Berserk. Not sure if that was the intention, but it may cause some undesired outcomes.
                          Chanceborn
                          • "Skill" doesn't list the die type of the skill earned. Presumably it's d4, but that should be stated explicitly.
                          • Elan is a Novice Edge, but is gained at Seasoned. Maybe offer a secondary effect in case the player already has it.
                          • "Nimble [2]: from Rifts" ... This might work at your table and tables that also have the Rifts books, but is useless to those that don't. Just give a rundown of the benefit. It'll be fine.
                          Charismatic
                          • "Spirit: The hero gains the listed attribute." That's some odd parlance since every character already has Spirit. Change it to: "The hero increases Spirit by one die type."
                          • Early access to Followers and Sidekick is worth +1 point (making the Edge worth 3 points), and this is probably fine since the AB they gain next Rank is weak sauce (with 5 less PP than it should have).
                          • The AB also feels uninspired; I'd probably prefer some custom ability that caters to the build. Maybe something that doubles the bonuses of Leadership Edges, so allies get +2 to recover from Shaken; Fervor adds +2 to Fighting; Hold the Line adds +2 Toughness; etc.
                          Dragonblooded
                          • "Smarts: The hero gains the listed attribute." Consider revising to "increase die type" instead.
                          Earthbonded
                          • "Vigor: The hero gains the listed attribute." Consider revising.
                          • For 2 points, Darkvision should also negate invisibility penalties, since it's based on echolocation. This ability is also cheapened by any race with either Low Light Vision or Infravision (which, IIRC, is most of them). You might want to consider giving this a bit more "Oomph," especially since it's a Heroic ability.
                          Faithful
                          • "Spirit: The hero gains the listed attribute." Consider revising.
                          • Holy Warrior is a Seasoned Edge but this path gains it at Veteran. I would swap it with the attribute increase ability, so Holy Warrior is gained at Seasoned and Spirit increases at Veteran.
                          • "New Powers (edge): The Faithful gains the Dispel and Banish powers." So at Heroic Rank, the character gains one Seasoned power and one Veteran power? What if they already have them? It seems this needs to be addressed.
                          • "from Rifts" ... Again, it's okay to just write what the mechanic is. If you're concerned about copyright, don't be; copyright protects against plagarism and intellectual property, not against simply repeating an idea.

Okay, cheers for now.

Comment

Working...
                          X