Savage Midnight (a conversion)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Savage Midnight (a conversion)

Midnight (link) has been the "setting i love" for a long time now. It's the only one for which i bought all the books, I actialvely participated in forum discussion, etc.. But, i've only run 1.5 campaign in it over the years.

It's a d20 camapaign, and once i discovered Savage Worlds i immedtialty tired to convert (there were other conversion, but i did not like them). I never published them on these forums, since they were always half done, and for years they would sit in the google-drive gathering dust, untill i suddenly get the craving and look at them again and re-work them. With SWADE, i decided to finally give it a serious push.

The elevator pitch for this setting: like Lord of the Rings, except Sauron won.

PCs are the under-dogs, sort of resistance fighters in many campaigns. Fey races (non humans) are hunted down. Only those in alligence with the bad guys are allowed to bear arms. Magic items are rare, praticing magic is illegal and casters are hunted down; there are special demons who can sniff out magic... so all in all, a hard world to live in.
    Savage Midnight

The links lead to a google document in which you may leave comments. Please do. I'll appreciate and consider any comment you have.

Races:
    • I've tried to balance the Races with a +3 Racial Point. I had a hard time doing it with 2 points, and besides... with so much going against the PCs, any small edge is good
    • I do not like giving races social penalties. This should be a player decision. So i tried to avoid it, unless it was called for (such as Orcs penalty on Persuasion)
    • I've played around with the Core Skills here... tried to adjust them to each races, as well as give the players so freedom on who their character is
    • Races document
    Edges & Hindrances:
    • I've tried to keep it to a minimum, just what is really needed and important to the Midnight setting
    • I will be borrowing several Edges from various other Savage Worlds setting i have. Those will be mainly Combat Edges
    • Edges & Hindrances document
    Skills & Setting Rules:

I might add more later...
    • Common weapons and gear in the setting
    • Commong foes
    • etc..

As i wrote above: i'll appreciate any and all comments.

Thanks,
    -arnon

Good luck with this. Midnight is a cool setting. Skimmed through your notes so far and its good to see them parsed down to the details. Good luck with the Heroic Paths... Though I'd suggest just making a small set of Edges that can be taken to reflect those or even just using the Racial Modifiers and make a small +2/+3 template for the heroic path. Unpon reaching Seasoned a character can choose one. It might make them a bit more powerful, but given the world it wouldn't be a bad thing. A lot of the heroic Paths could be simplified and condensed so you have a dozen or so rather than the mulittude of the core and splat books..

Comment

Thanks PEGThomas,

My thoughts about Heroic Paths were along similar lines to what you wrote:
      • Once reaching Seasoned rank the hero chooses a Heroic Path
      • The Heroic Path will need to be tailored for each player, I'm not gonna create a whole bunch of them just for laughs.
      • I'll have the them look over the original Heroic Paths just to get an idea, and i've got ideas of how to implement some of them already (Shadow Walker, for example, could be giving the Gifted background with Teleport power, and a limiting it's use to starting/ending their teleport in shadows)
      • On how to implement, several options come to mind:
        • One option is to give them the Girfted Arcane Background with a d4, and let them increase the die once per Rank. Maybe also put a limit on Power Points regeneration
        • Another option is to give them abilities from the Race Creation table or from the Special Abilities in the bestiary section of SWADE
        • Yet another option would be to use the Superpowers Companion, giving each player a small amount of points to create a unique superpower..
      Cheers,
      -arnon

Comment

I have played around with this setting to convert too. I feel that Savage Worlds would be a better system then the attrition based 3.5 or even 5e for their settings feel. So onto my view of races. I see the PC races being 4 point builds since they are LA+1 for 3.5 speak.

I am not a fan of Common Knowledge, so I do 4 Core Skills (Athletics, Notice, Persuasion, and Stealth) and 12 points build. Given the fantasy setting of multiple languages, I think race dictates being starting skills plus one-half Smarts as bonus skill points in languages.
        I see languages as d4 pidgin, d6 basic, d8 fluent, d10 mastery (dialects), d12 (literacy). I also condensed language list as follows: Colonial (Sarcosan language), Dwarven (no clan dialect), Elven (High), Erenlander, Halfling, Norther (Dorn language), Orcish, Sunder Tongues*, Sylvan, Trader's Tongue (common). I see Black Tongue as pidgin orcish, and Courtier as d10 or d12 Colonial. * Sunder Tongue can only be bought at d4. Persuasion, Performance, Taunt and non-direct Intimidation is limited by the language you are trying to work through.

Human, Dorn
        Strength (2) start d6, can advance to d12+1
        Fighting skill (2) d6, can advance to d12+1
        Cold Resistance (1) +2 verse cold temperature and effects.
        no Persuasion (untrained)
        Languages: Norther (d8), Erenlander (d8), and Trader's (d4)

Human, Erenlander
        Adaptable (2) gain free edge
        Skill Points (2) gain two skill points
        Languages: Erenlander (d8), Trader's (d4), and Colonial or Norther (d8)

Human, Sarcoson
        Adaptable (2) gain free edge
        Persuasion (1) d6, can advance to d12+1
        Ride (1) d4, can gain a horse for a quarter cost or full cost for a horse with additional edge/quality if Plain sarcosan
        Languages: Colonial (d8), Erenlander (d8), and Trader's (d4)
        subrace: retrap Ace (Horse only) as Born In the Saddle for Plain Sarcosan and retrap Aristocrat/Streetwise City Dweller for Urban Sarcosan taken at character creation only.

I will submit non-humans at another time. What do you think?

Comment

Hi,

Sorry for such a late reply...

Originally posted by Crimson View Post
          I have played around with this setting to convert too. I feel that Savage Worlds would be a better system then the attrition based 3.5 or even 5e for their settings feel. So onto my view of races. I see the PC races being 4 point builds since they are LA+1 for 3.5 speak.
          I think 4 points build is a bit too much. In 3.5 the races were stronger in order to compensate the lack of magic and magic items, but in SW, where all the magical stuff is cool but not strictly necessary, i do not think it merits it.

I am not a fan of Common Knowledge, so I do 4 Core Skills (Athletics, Notice, Persuasion, and Stealth) and 12 points build.
          I like to try and give my players freedom even in the race selection, and since i believe that not every character of a race is the same (apart from common physical traits, although even with that i was struggling. Who's to say there is no robust elf or slow halfling), i tried to give the players some freedom in further customizing the race. This mainly came to be in at least one trait that could be chosen over another, and another skill point or two from the Core Skills rules, which i did not allocate.

Given the fantasy setting of multiple languages, I think race dictates being starting skills plus one-half Smarts as bonus skill points in languages.
          I see languages as d4 pidgin, d6 basic, d8 fluent, d10 mastery (dialects), d12 (literacy). I also condensed language list as follows: Colonial (Sarcosan language), Dwarven (no clan dialect), Elven (High), Erenlander, Halfling, Norther (Dorn language), Orcish, Sunder Tongues*, Sylvan, Trader's Tongue (common). I see Black Tongue as pidgin orcish, and Courtier as d10 or d12 Colonial. * Sunder Tongue can only be bought at d4. Persuasion, Performance, Taunt and non-direct Intimidation is limited by the language you are trying to work through.
          I like how you condensed the languages and think i'll steal it.

I do not agree that literacy should be linked to the language skill. It should be bought separately and marked somewhere on the character sheet. A person can have literacy in a language even without knowing all dialects.

Take a look at my Language Rules

Comment

• Crimson
            Crimson commented
            Editing a comment
            LA in 3.5 is a level, a level in SW is 1 advance (2 points). But I will see if I can squeeze the races into 3 points total. For the brutes (ogres and bugbears), I am thinking about having level roll to advance them, I will look at Zadmar's dragon and what not (though pared down immensely). I don't know if i see a place in the peeking order for oruks (love them, but why do they not control the world [being giant tough orcs], they are not slow aging like elves in Tolkien).

For the core skills, I see them as hero packages, not races. Since advances are how players are made, I leave most choice there. Also too many choices for beginning characters is problematic for

Perhaps literacy should be an edge, but do you get it for each language you know, seems like too much in the setting but too little to be per language. Since reading/writing is rare in the setting. I will probably just make it an edge then, if you are the reader/writer then you read/write and you should be penalized. Maybe the edge gives you literacy in half your Smarts languages each time. Then I need to re-tailor d10 and d12.

• arnon
            arnon commented
            Editing a comment
            RE Literacy: Why a literacy Edge? Why not add it to the Advance, along side improving two skills, allow player to improve one skill and gain Literacy in language?

RE Core Skills: i see your point. I used them as part of the races to symbolize traits. For example, Elves have keen senses so their Core Skill package has d6 in notice; etc...

RE: Languages. In d20, language is on/off rather than how well. In SWADE, this translates to a d8, full fluency, and the level every character has in his native language(s). You might consider the Multiple Languages Setting Rule which gives every character the Linguist Edge. Note also that the rules for the Language skill include the caveat about Performance and other trait rolls being limited for foreign languages.

RE: Common Knowledge. Without the skill, how do you handle whether or not a character knows a common bit of information? GM fiat? How does a player define a character who would know the things investing in the skill represents. "We want to go on a journey to [place 2 weeks away]. My studies say it should be that way and that we should or shouldn't do these things." So how do you determine if the player is right? A Smarts roll per SWD or is this all down to the GM's whim?

Comment

• Crimson
            Crimson commented
            Editing a comment
            1st, Midnight for d20 uses a 5 skill point language system. Second, this is a world which is in a dark ages, the feel of languages separating people (including heroes) is very baked in and should not be overlooked. This is a low fantasy with some high fantasy parts. Mages are hunted and killed (or "recruited") as are most elves and dwarves. Halflings are an enslaved race and gnomes fast talk their way into being freer-servants and humans run the gamut.

Absolutely language caps your persuasion and what not if linguistic based.

2nd, Common Knowledge at my table will be kept as Deluxe was. I see common knowledge as a Smarts tax, it is situational and based on Smarts if you know something or not. Always with GM fiat.

Originally posted by paladin2019 View Post
          RE: Languages. In d20, language is on/off rather than how well. In SWADE, this translates to a d8, full fluency, and the level every character has in his native language(s). You might consider the Multiple Languages Setting Rule which gives every character the Linguist Edge. Note also that the rules for the Language skill include the caveat about Performance and other trait rolls being limited for foreign languages.
          In Midnight (originally a d20 setting) languages were learned at three different levels: pidgin, basic, fluent; and skill points were used to improve them and buy literacy. This translates easily to Savage Worlds, but instead of half Smarts in languages, what we both did is half-Smarts in language points, which you can then spread across to improve Skill in a Language. The Linguist Edge allows a character use his full Smarts die in language points.

Comment

• Deskepticon
            Deskepticon commented
            Editing a comment
            It's important to note that you gain "half-Smarts" languages at d6. So if you are instead going with "language skill points" (my personal houserule as well ), then you might want to use "full-Smarts".

By RAW, a d6 in Smarts would get you three languages at d6, which is equivalent to 6 skill points.

• Crimson
            Crimson commented
            Editing a comment
            Deskepticon, 1/2 smarts (assuming d6) is 3 points, which is (1 = d4, 2 = d6, 3 = ) d8, fluency in another language (a pretty big deal). As i noted above (sorry i missed it here), language being a separator lends itself to this setting very much.

Also remember that characters gain innate languages based on their race. I have not run SW, but for d20, we would break this if it made sense.

For my idea the humans get 7 language skill points assigned (they are adaptable by nature, center of the continent, where cultures are mixing). The elves and dwarves gain 4 points (edge of the continent, hunted and in hiding), orcs (setting says are polygolts, rules do not support that in d20, but i have idea for that, basically linguist for free) get 6 , also the gnomes and halflings get 6, they are still in the thick of the world's affairs.

I made Dwarrow (gnomes with Brawny) and Dworgs an edge (character creation only, building off dwarves), same thing with the Jungle and Snow Elves. I removed the Elfling and Sea Elves, the former because they were broke and made little sense and the later because no one ever takes them and they are so far removed from the world's plight.

For Goblin folk, i gave them only 3 points (to show their 2nd class state) and ogres only get 1 point (they seem like they are basically living war machines).
        Working...
        X