New Setting Rule: Loyalty Mission

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Setting Rule: Loyalty Mission

Hey folks, looking for some analysis and feedback on the following. It was heavily inspired by various BioWare video games, but seems applicable to a lot of settings. I'm intending to use this in a Heroes Never Die setting, if that matters.

Loyalty Mission: Each player character has a unique adventure tied to their back story or Hindrances that can't be completed before Veteran rank and can't be completed without assistance from the other player characters. Upon completion, the Loyal character gains an additional advance. Players should come up with the premise or hook of these adventures, and GMs can use this to let players write some memorable adventures.

The goal is to give each character an entire adventure that's about them, that they need to build up to, that they need allies for, and that completing gives the character an immediate and material advantage. Similar to the various loyalty missions in the Mass Effect and Dragon Age franchises.
    Last edited by ValhallaGH; 02-03-2019, 03:36 PM.
    I hope you find the above post useful. And not insulting, because I was trying to be helpful, not insulting; being a pedantic jerk, that isn't always clear.

I like it!

It takes the Player/GM relationship that should already exist* and incentivizes the player to give more depth to their character by offering a tangible reward. It doesn't (or shouldn't ) add more workload for the GM, and might even lighten it as it puts the onus of character-development more squarely on the player.

I see this working very well in a Heroes Never Die setting, as players can focus more heavily on investing in their characters.

I might tweak the setting rule to allow one "loyalty mission" per Rank per character, essentially giving everyone a mini storyarc that only comes to fruition at Veteran or perhaps even Legendary. They gain an Advance each time their story progresses, meaning each character can potentially earn 4-5 bonus Advances for the campaign.
    ... This has the effect of keeping the players continually focused on their storyarc, rather than simply waiting until Veteran Rank and then being like, "Oh, by the way, there's this really important thing I want to do!"

* IMO, a GMs job includes giving each player a "spotlight" moment to build and develop their character's story. But this setting rule formalizes that relationship very nicely.

Comment

Interesting suggestion. But with that many character adventures, you'd end up with a campaign of nothing but loyalty missions. Which would be one close knit team, but doesn't leave much room for whatever story the GM was going to tell.
      I hope you find the above post useful. And not insulting, because I was trying to be helpful, not insulting; being a pedantic jerk, that isn't always clear.

Comment

Originally posted by ValhallaGH View Post
        Interesting suggestion. But with that many character adventures, you'd end up with a campaign of nothing but loyalty missions. Which would be one close knit team, but doesn't leave much room for whatever story the GM was going to tell.
        True.
        True.
        And 4 bonus Advances may be a bit much as well. Hmm...

Perhaps cut it back to only only two missions per character? One to introduce the arc and another to conclude it, separated by at least one Rank of progress?

Admittedly, your original idea is a much cleaner way of handling it. I'm just entertaining ways of making the loyalty missions a little more poignant to a character's development. As a setting rule, it feels like it should be something that spans over a good portion of a campaign, rather than a "one-and-done" affair.
        ...Just my two-cents from the peanut gallery.

Comment

I get it, and I like the impulse. It comes from a good place and encourages multi-session build up.
          But I think of Miranda's loyalty mission from ME2: go ensure the sister she's mentioned in various Interludes doesn't get captured by agents of the father she's got a Hindrance about. The mission makes sense, it's pretty fun, it fits the character's story, but it only has one appearance and she talks about it for the next game and a half.

The other part is that everyone has a loyalty mission. That's one per player character, composing three to seven adventures depending upon table size. That's a fair sized chunk of most campaigns.

I'm not opposed to having multiple adventures for a character's Mission, but I'm not sure it should be mandatory.

As for the peanut gallery: I asked.
          Last edited by ValhallaGH; 02-03-2019, 09:02 PM.

Comment

• Deskepticon
            Deskepticon commented
            Editing a comment
            Those are good points. I suppose another way to handle it is merging loyalty missions into the events of the larger campaign.

As for the peanut gallery: I asked. B)
            Yep. I also like to throw things at the wall and see what sticks. Can peanuts stick to a wall? I suppose if they were suspended within some other medium... O.O

• ValhallaGH
            ValhallaGH commented
            Editing a comment
            Boiled peanuts can stick to walls. ... Don't ask how I know that.

• Sitting Duck
            Sitting Duck commented
            Editing a comment
            How do you know that? :P
        Working...
        X