Command Range

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Command Range

Command Range of 5" has always seemed rather artificial to me, especially since it's normally been far more in wargames I've played that used some version of it. It is also constant irrespective of the commander's Battle skill. So I propose the following setting rule.

Battle Lord (not wedded to this name)
    Command Range is figured based on half the character's Battle skill die plus 2". Any Edge or other feature that modifies Command Range applies the same modifier to this value (Command Presence doubling the derived Command Range, for example).

I've always seen the Command Radius as a function of formation-based skirmishes. But it makes sense - in the din and chaos of a fight you can only communicate and inspire from so far away. This can be tested by heading to a busy night club and trying to coordinate and communicate from across the room; or just across the table.

A standard issue sophisticated communications set-up would fully justify a Command Radius of miles - for troops equipped with it.

But for a campaign about leather-lunged sergeants rallying their troops, which is going to be applicable in most settings, a fairly short Command Radius makes a lot of sense.
    I just find 5" to be arbitrarily short. Given the war gaming ranges for most of the rules, a default radius of 6" is more consistent. It's not like the difference between 30 and 36 feet is a big deal, but it's easier to remember and lots of ranges are already in a multiple of six.
    If you're determined to tie the Command Radius to the Battle die type then Half + 2 is a pretty standard formula and should give decent results.
    Ranges from 2 to 8 inches, or 9 with Expert. Command Presence bumps those to 4 to 18, with the typical 5 / 10 at Battle d6.

Bit of a skill tax for Leadership types, subtly discouraging them even more, but definitely rewarding "the general" with improved Leadership Edges.
    I hope you find the above post useful. And not insulting, because I was trying to be helpful, not insulting; being a pedantic jerk, that isn't always clear.

Comment

Originally posted by ValhallaGH View Post
      but definitely rewarding "the general" with improved Leadership Edges.
      Mission accomplished

Comment

Working...
      X