Sniper Edge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sniper Edge

So the old "Real World Ranges" rules from Deluxe (the 2.5× range multiplier) are now officially scrapped due to the introduction of Extreme Range. I don't think this is necessarily a bad thing (it does help unite all ranges as 1" = 2 yards and didn't matter for most weapons), but this does mean that the maximum range of sniper rifles are now well below their real world ranges.

To allow sniper characters to attempt those real maximum range/world record shots, I've thrown together a new Edge. It's situational, but unique and addresses this problem entirely.

Sniper
    Requirements: Veteran, Marksman, Shooting d10+
    Soldiers with this Edge are skilled enough with their weapons to put a round in a target several miles away!
    If using a rifle with a RoF 1 (not machine guns or shotguns, even with slugs), snipers may Reroll failed shots at Extreme Range.
    In addition, if the shooter takes a few minutes to prepare his position, he may use Extreme Range at 10× Long Range (instead of 4×) with an additional –2 penalty! (Remember to multiply that by 2 for the distance in yards.)
    I decided against folding the Extreme Range bonus into Marksman as Marksman is already a full-powered Edge; it didn't need the further boost. This also creates an Edge that is tailored for sniper characters, which was not present before (Marksman and Double Tap is useful for riflemen/pistol wielders, Rapid Fire and Rock and Roll are great for machine gunners, but nothing that really distinguishes snipers).

As far as the math is concerned, even with the Reroll factored in the sniper is still less effective at Extreme Range as they are at Long Range, even in optimal conditions—with Marksman and a scope, snipers with d12 Shooting will land a Long Range shot around 88% of the time; with the Reroll factored in the same target at Extreme Range will be hit around 75% of the time, or about 56% of the time at 10× Long Range. This Edge helps smooth out the difficulty at these ranges, however, and really emphasizes those incredibly long range kill shots.
    Last edited by DoctorBoson; 01-11-2019, 07:02 PM. Reason: Updated the Edge slightly based on feedback from @dentris
    Join the Unofficial Savage Worlds Discord!

My thoughts, musings, and general character adaptations on Savage Everything.

World records and real-life sniping is much more complex than taking an action to aim then pull the trigger. It required, among other things, complex calculations for wind speed and gravitional pull, at least one spotter and, at the very least, a few minutes of preparation.

Although your Edge has the benifits of simplicity (and I like the added bonus of rerolling failed shooting rolls at extreme range), it makes sniping, IMO, too easy.

I don't have a clear picture on how you could handle it, but I think true sniping attempts should be Dramatic Scenes, with additional participants serving as spotters.

Comment

Or Support rolls for trajectory calculation and spotting.

Comment

dentris fair; my primary goal for this Edge was to allow a method for snipers to reach their 10× Long Range bracket for incredible sniping distance, but that alone didn't feel like quite enough to warrant an Edge. The Reroll felt like a good bonus without making things too easy.

With the proposed Edge, a character with Improved Trademark Weapon and the Professional/Expert/Master tree of Edges (total d12+4 Shooting with d10 Wild Die)—the greatest human marksman Savage Worlds can produce without arcane or super powered influence—will make such a shot in optimal conditions (The Drop, head shot, good lighting, wide-open space, no wounds/Fatigue, etc) about 95% of the time (getting a raise around 40% of shots), but in harder circumstances that can easily drop; 83% with just a light fog or a sundown, and without The Drop it's effectively a coin toss (54% with the Reroll). With any character less than 3 Advances into Legendary (and many characters that are much deeper into Legendary), it just gets more and more difficult.

Do you have any good ideas for an Edge to allow for that 10× multiplier for Extreme Range? This was the best I could come up with in about an hour of brainstorming and not knowing any folks personally that are knowledgeable about both guns and SW design.
        Join the Unofficial Savage Worlds Discord!

My thoughts, musings, and general character adaptations on Savage Everything.

Comment

I'm not really an expert in guns. I love history and world records, however, and I like to browse aimlessly around wikipedia. My answer might not be completly accurate, but it is my understanding that considering all the variables involved, once people start moving or taking cover, it's virtually impossible to make those kind of shots. The answer might be to tie Sniping attempt to having the Drop, just like Extreme Range is tied to aiming.

Sniper
          Requirements: Veteran, Marksman, Shooting d10+
          Soldiers with this Edge are skilled enough with their weapons to put a round in a target several miles away!
          If using a rifle with a RoF 1 (not machine guns or shotguns, even with slugs), snipers may Reroll failed shots at Extreme Range.
          In addition, if the shooter has the Drop and a few minutes of preparation, Extreme Range becomes Long Range x 10. The attack and damage bonuses of the Drop, however, are ignored when attacking someone beyong Long Range x 4.
          Last edited by dentris; 01-11-2019, 07:19 PM.

Comment

• DoctorBoson
            DoctorBoson commented
            Editing a comment
            Hmm, interesting. I probably wouldn't require The Drop (most targets are taken out in transit, such as walking from a vehicle to a safehouse), but I do like the idea of requiring a few minutes of prep to attempt the shot, and maybe increasing the penalty for such a shot from –2 to –4. Even in optimal conditions, a good spotter (Support with Notice and/or Electronics) would be important to allow for a d12 shooter without the Trademark Weapon Edges to have a reasonable chance to hit. At that point, even the aforementioned "greatest of all time" sniper would still want a spotter, or at least a few bennies.

I'll add in the "few minutes to prepare his attack" requirement, and I'll think on increasing the penalty as well. Thanks for the input!

• dentris
            dentris commented
            Editing a comment
            You're welcome
        Working...
        X