Generational Savage Worlds

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Generational Savage Worlds

Just brainstorming an idea for generational play. The idea is to play for a (relatively) short time as a generation, before the game moves on to the next generation of characters. Advancement to consistent higher tiers of play is slow, but advancement of individual characters can be quick (1 (or more)/session).

The general idea goes like this:

A generation of play lasts 5 advances. After those 5 advances, the characters retire and the next generation of characters begins. When the next generation begins, they get (Generation -1) free advances from their available "inheritances", and they can move forward for 5 more advances until the cycle repeats. For clarity I will use Parent/Child to refer to old generation and next generation, however, depending on GM plans, this does not need to be the case.

Inheritances:
    Inheritances have 5 sources:
    1. Certain Edges Are automatic, if a parent has one of these edges it is available to the child as an inheritance. (Attractive, Rich, etc)
    2. The free advances of the Parent are automatically available as an inheritance for the Child
    3. The Parent may nominate one advance on his character to be an inheritance for his Child. (This is 1 ability point, 1 edge, or 1 d6 skill)
    4. The Parent may be able to acquire inheritance edges during gameplay (Nobility, Wealth, etc.) to pass on to the child
    5. For the cost of inheriting a minor or major hindrance from the parent, the child may choose to swap one of the parent's free advance inheritances (#2) for an additional nominated inheritance (#3).

Inheritances may break rank requirements, but not other edge requirements.

A player may have more inheritances than free advances. (For example, an attractive and rich parent (Gen1) will have 3 Inheritances to pass on to their Child: Attractive, Rich, and Advance). In that case, they can choose 1 Inheritance as their free advance, and may use their normal character creation to grab additional inheritances.

Inheritances that are not passed on in some-way shape or form, may be lost at the GM's discrestion.

Not sure I understand. Let me put up an example and you tell me if I have it right. Then I will give you an opinion of it.

Gen 1: Rich, Ambidextrous character. Advances: Spirit, Skills, Martial Artist, Skills, Marksman. When I earn advance #6 instead this character retires and nominates Marksman Inheritance.
    Gen 2: Gets access to Rich and Marksman at Novice but still has to use creation/advances to get them. Creation takes Rich and Command, free advance takes Marksman (Seasoned Edge in a Novice slot). Character effectively has 5 xp to start but still gets five advances (two novice, three seasoned). Takes Strength, Skill, Rock and Roll, Agility, Dodge. Again, when the 6th advance is earned (35 xp) character retires and nominates R&R Inheritance.
    Gen 3 Now has the following Inheritance options: Rich, Marksman, and R&R with two "free" advances. As long as they have the other prerequisites they could take Marksman and R&R for those two advances. If they do not take Rich though it will not pass on to Gen 4 as it was not nominated.

Is this right, or at least close?
    I have way too much time but do not always edit myself properly. Please do not take offense.

Comment

Close. Very close.

They can still choose rich(or any other inheritance) as part of thier normal character creation edges too, they just are not free. Its only if the character doesn't have it at all that it might not pass down

Comment

Ok, then here are my thoughts:

1) Five advances feels like a very short time. Gen 1 is just getting into Seasoned when they suddenly decide to retire. They are finally figuring out what is going on, and where they need to focus their efforts, when they decide to hang it all up? In most games five advances is less than a year of a character's life, often less than six months. (The biggest exceptions being slow advancements, one xp per adventure, or lots of down time between adventures.) In your set up it could easily be much less than that, perhaps only a few weeks.

2) Having a Child jump in with four fewer advances has its own level of complications. They are automatically less powerful than the story as advanced, but this is somewhat mitigated by being able to get higher rank Edges. I am just unsure how much that will help and how much that will just force a player to spend in very specific ways to be sure they can get those bonuses. The other side of this is if the story power level has not advanced it may be too easy for any given generation just before retiring.

3) Without a more comprehensive list of "automatic inheritance" this rule just confuses things. If any character can take Rich/Attractive/Brawny/etc., why make that an inheritance option at all? It would be far simpler to just leave this rule out.

3a) On the other hand, if there was a list of "If you parent did not have this edge it is not available at all" (or at most grand-parent) could prove interesting. If a character really wanted access to one of these then it would be one advance they would have to take every generation.
        3a.1) And, if a player did continue taking one of these edges you can force certain hindrances for keeping them. After all, too much inbreeding can cause problems.

All in all, without knowing more about the specific setting, I personally don't think I would enjoy playing in a game with this setup.
        I have way too much time but do not always edit myself properly. Please do not take offense.

Comment

Originally posted by Erolat View Post
          Ok, then here are my thoughts:

1) Five advances feels like a very short time. Gen 1 is just getting into Seasoned when they suddenly decide to retire. They are finally figuring out what is going on, and where they need to focus their efforts, when they decide to hang it all up? In most games five advances is less than a year of a character's life, often less than six months. (The biggest exceptions being slow advancements, one xp per adventure, or lots of down time between adventures.) In your set up it could easily be much less than that, perhaps only a few weeks.

2) Having a Child jump in with four fewer advances has its own level of complications. They are automatically less powerful than the story as advanced, but this is somewhat mitigated by being able to get higher rank Edges. I am just unsure how much that will help and how much that will just force a player to spend in very specific ways to be sure they can get those bonuses. The other side of this is if the story power level has not advanced it may be too easy for any given generation just before retiring.

3) Without a more comprehensive list of "automatic inheritance" this rule just confuses things. If any character can take Rich/Attractive/Brawny/etc., why make that an inheritance option at all? It would be far simpler to just leave this rule out.

3a) On the other hand, if there was a list of "If you parent did not have this edge it is not available at all" (or at most grand-parent) could prove interesting. If a character really wanted access to one of these then it would be one advance they would have to take every generation.
          3a.1) And, if a player did continue taking one of these edges you can force certain hindrances for keeping them. After all, too much inbreeding can cause problems.

All in all, without knowing more about the specific setting, I personally don't think I would enjoy playing in a game with this setup.
          Ideally, the number of advances per generation can be tweaked to fit your needs. I'll talk about my thoughts when I put this up:

The game is intended to tell stories over a long period of time. So, while I state the # of advances, I'm picturing those advances occurring over separate adventures throughout the character's life. So, in essence 5 adventures that may have "years" between them. It is assumed that during those "years" the characters don't necessarily grow as they would while actively adventuring. I've chosen 5 advances as a balance between time with characters (somewhat short), without major drops in power after retiring. Losing 5 advances isn't necessarily as painful as losing 10 or more. (Plus, I don't think I made it clear that the "free advances" count as advances when moving forward in Tier. So, each generation starts a little better, and goes a little farther than the one before it. (Eventually, new generations are starting at seasoned and moving into Veteran). The system assumes that "permanent growth" happens not within the generation, but between it. Which is why I am encouraging much faster rates of advancements.

I haven't looked at the list of edges, so I don't have a comprehensive list of Automatic Inheritances. In general, automatic inheritances are intended to be "Material" passed down over time, or "Genetic" passed down over time. Attractive, Brawny, rich, etc. They honestly shouldn't necessarily add extra confusion. During Gen1, these aren't having any impact. During Gen2 and above, "inheritances" simply become a list of (potentially extra) edges that can be chosen during character Generation. I've included them so that they can be chosen as part of the free advances.

As for specific setting, I've kept this setting nuetral.

Comment

I've thought about a similar concept for a game, with one character being an immortal god-king and the other players playing his inner circle of followers in the god's quest of conquering the world generations after generations.

Each generation gives a few bonuses during chargen. First, it receives a free upgrade selected from both of his parents (either an attribute boost for an attribute they have above d6, an Edge or a d6 in a skill), and an additional free upgrade from a heroic figure for each generation before his parents. For example, a Gen 4 character would receive 4 free upgrades. 2 from each of his gen 3 parents, one from a heroic figure from generation 2 and one from a heroic figure from generation 1.

In addition, a new generation character would receive an inheritance from each of his parents and heroic figures. He choose one item, which becomes more powerful with each passing generation. The other items each parents and heroic figures had are considered lost or in a museum. The items receives a new magical ability (use TW upgrades as examples, but the item doesn't have to be activated with PP) in addition of any abilities they already have from past generations.

I've also thought about giving more Attribute (+1/gen) and Skill (+2/gen) points with each generation to compensate for the constant loss of power and to represent the general increase of power thanks to the divine influence of the god-king.

The main antagonists of the game would be the followers of other god-kings and potentially the divien figures themselves in an epic showdown for world domination around gen 5. Of course, other adventures would be centered around understanding the origins of the god-kings, the real reason of their existence and stopping the true threat behind their sudden appearance at gen 1.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert4818 View Post
              The game is intended to tell stories over a long period of time. So, while I state the # of advances, I'm picturing those advances occurring over separate adventures throughout the character's life. So, in essence 5 adventures that may have "years" between them. It is assumed that during those "years" the characters don't necessarily grow as they would while actively adventuring. I've chosen 5 advances as a balance between time with characters (somewhat short), without major drops in power after retiring.
              Ok, so sort of a combination of slow advancement and long down time. I think that works without too much "early retirement."

They can still choose rich(or any other inheritance) as part of thier normal character creation edges too, they just are not free. Its only if the character doesn't have it at all that it might not pass down
              I haven't looked at the list of edges, so I don't have a comprehensive list of Automatic Inheritances. In general, automatic inheritances are intended to be "Material" passed down over time, or "Genetic" passed down over time. Attractive, Brawny, rich, etc. They honestly shouldn't necessarily add extra confusion. During Gen1, these aren't having any impact. During Gen2 and above, "inheritances" simply become a list of (potentially extra) edges that can be chosen during character Generation. I've included them so that they can be chosen as part of the free advances.
              Then maybe I am not understanding what you mean by "free advances". As a starting Human (Gen 1) I get one free edge (advance) in that it costs neither hindrance points nor experience advancements. From your description a Gen 2 human character is exactly like a Gen 1 human but gets 5 xp without needing to adventure. Effectively, two free advances. If I can take Rich/Attractive/etc. as my normal "free human" edge, regardless of Generation, I am not sure why it needs special inclusion.
              If this rule is applied to non-human characters then the advance is not free to start with and it would have to be the designated inheritance, right? If not then non-human characters can get two inheritances for the next Generation just by making sure one of their advances is one of these "legacy" (my term) advancements. Sure, they have to actually spend one of their free advances to get it but if a campaign is showing money may be important it would make sense to give up something for the extra cash.

Comment

Originally posted by Erolat View Post
                Ok, so sort of a combination of slow advancement and long down time. I think that works without too much "early retirement."

Then maybe I am not understanding what you mean by "free advances". As a starting Human (Gen 1) I get one free edge (advance) in that it costs neither hindrance points nor experience advancements. From your description a Gen 2 human character is exactly like a Gen 1 human but gets 5 xp without needing to adventure. Effectively, two free advances. If I can take Rich/Attractive/etc. as my normal "free human" edge, regardless of Generation, I am not sure why it needs special inclusion.
                If this rule is applied to non-human characters then the advance is not free to start with and it would have to be the designated inheritance, right? If not then non-human characters can get two inheritances for the next Generation just by making sure one of their advances is one of these "legacy" (my term) advancements. Sure, they have to actually spend one of their free advances to get it but if a campaign is showing money may be important it would make sense to give up something for the extra cash.
                Lets take a look at a Gen2 character. The Parent had Brawny(auto), Attractive(Auto), Level Headed(Selected), and through adventuring earned "Rich" (auto).

So, now the Gen2 character during character creation has the Human Free Edge, Two advances bought with hindrances, and the First Advance for Free.
                The have the following Inheritances: Brawny, Attractive, Level Headed, Rich

The Gen 2 character uses the Human Edge for AB: Magic. The two Bought Advances for +1 Str, +1 Dex, and for the First Free Advance must choose from choose Brawny, Attractive, Level Headed, OR Rich. The three they don't choose they can potentially lose if the GM wants to use that rule, otherwise, the next Generation will have all of those, Plus the newest chosen inheritance.
                Alternatively, They could use the Human Free Edge for Level Headed, Buy Brawny, Upgrade Dex, and then use the Free Advance for Rich, possibly losing Attractive.

Comment

Working...
                X