Making Combat More Fun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making Combat More Fun

I've been running Savage Worlds for a couple of years now, and I've accumulated some stuff I do to make combat more fun. Stuff to encourage my players to use Tricks, make Intimidation more viable, and to make Called Shots more fun. And, of course, grappling. Just adding more options to combat and making them more attractive, in order to prevent the classic 'I attack, I miss, I attack, I miss, I attack...' monotone. Figured with the forum back up I'd share some of these houserules.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1DI...aw5H_dvcBdsR6o

Thanks for the share. I think we all have "houserules" to adapt S.W. to our tastes.
    Thing like Brutal/Wild attack differentiation is pretty common, for what I see (while I use the Zadmar version, ie. +2 to Attack OR +2 do damage (buf if you hit with Raise you gain +4 damage instead).
    From a quick reading, I'm not sold on -4 parry when engaged in Grapple. This can be a fight-killer, when you are 2 on 1. While "unrealistic", the standard Gang-Up bonus is already factored in, when you grapple an enemy, and a friend of your attack him. Also, the grappled one probably can't use big weapons, so it could be considered an unarmed defender.
    "Balance is the key, Trapping is the word." - - Lord Lance

Proud reviser of the SAVAGE FREE BESTIARY

Comment

Also note that a Grappled character can't use his Fighting skill outside of the grapple. Which means he's Parry 2 against folks outside of the grapple.
      -4 is less powerful and more powerful, depending upon the situation.
      I hope you find the above post useful. And not insulting, because I was trying to be helpful, not insulting; being a pedantic jerk, that isn't always clear.

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Lance View Post
        Thanks for the share. I think we all have "houserules" to adapt S.W. to our tastes.
        Thing like Brutal/Wild attack differentiation is pretty common, for what I see (while I use the Zadmar version, ie. +2 to Attack OR +2 do damage (buf if you hit with Raise you gain +4 damage instead).
        From a quick reading, I'm not sold on -4 parry when engaged in Grapple. This can be a fight-killer, when you are 2 on 1. While "unrealistic", the standard Gang-Up bonus is already factored in, when you grapple an enemy, and a friend of your attack him. Also, the grappled one probably can't use big weapons, so it could be considered an unarmed defender.

The -4 penalty was intended as a be-all end-all penalty, which would give a good reason to attack someone who's been grappled. Grappling someone in 2v1 combat is intended as a fight-ender, and if you can't get out of that grapple fast you're screwed. Realistically, if you're being attacked and someone's holding you in place there's not much you can do. However, I had not considered unarmed defender, and the two aren't intended to stack. An effective +6 to attack (+7 with gang-up) does seem like a bit much.

Originally posted by ValhallaGH
        Also note that a Grappled character can't use his Fighting skill outside of the grapple. Which means he's Parry 2 against folks outside of the grapple.
        -4 is less powerful and more powerful, depending upon the situation.
        How does not being allowed to use your Fighting skill lower your Parry? From what I can tell penalties to Fighting rolls such as Wound penalties don't translate to Parry. Your Parry is only reduced if your Fighting is actually reduced by one or more die-types. Such as with the Boos/Lower Trait power. If your Parry is indeed reduced to 2 in a Grapple then the -4 penalty is definitely redundant, especially if there's an unarmed defender and gang-up bonus on top of that.

Comment

Parry = 2 + 1/2 Fighting.
          If you don't have Fighting then your Parry is 2. When you can't use the Fighting skill then your Parry is 2.

That said, Grapple doesn't stop you from using your Fighting skill, so I was wrong about that. But the grapple does make the defender Unarmed and the grappler provides a Gang Up bonus, for a net +3 attack. I'm not sure why I got confused on that point, but I have been for a couple of months, so I'm glad this came up so I could correct myself.

-4 Parry is more powerful than the RAW, but combined with the default it makes grappling the second best way to fight a high Parry character (behind Shooting).
          I hope you find the above post useful. And not insulting, because I was trying to be helpful, not insulting; being a pedantic jerk, that isn't always clear.

Comment

Working...
          X