No announcement yet.

Saga of the Goblin Horde

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The full setting book is now available, you can download it from here: Saga of the Goblin Horde.

Click image for larger version  Name:	SotGH.png Views:	1 Size:	388.2 KB ID:	3090
    Last edited by Zadmar; 11-10-2017, 10:08 AM. Reason: Updated to use DTRPG link
    My blog: Savage Stuff. I've also written some free tools and supplements.

Comment

Updated the Fast-track Gang Boss document to Version 2.0 - the link in the OP is no longer valid.

Changes include: improved format; gramatical/spelling error fixes; stat fixes; one replacement archetype. Pages are still printer-friendly.

Edit - Version 2.1 is now up. The previous "fix" linked to the wrong version. Sorry for any inconvenience.
      Last edited by Deskepticon; 11-17-2017, 12:57 PM. Reason: Derpiness

Comment

Originally posted by Deskepticon View Post
        Updated the Fast-track Gang Boss document to version 2.0 --- the link in the OP is no longer valid.

Changes include: improved format; gramatical/spelling error fixes; stat fixes; one replacement archetype. Pages are still printer-friendly.
        Very cool, thanks, I've updated the link!

Comment

I've updated both the setting book and player's guide to include some errata. In particular, I expanded the "Like a Boss" setting rule with guidelines for controlling gangs, and also added the missing statblocks for gang members and swamp rats. Other than that there were just a few typos to address.
          Last edited by Zadmar; 10-23-2018, 07:52 AM.

Comment

Very nice work - really like that you've made the effort to include an adventure generator! For me, adventure generators are important because they show what the setting creator sees as constituting an adventure. In regards to the generator, I'm noticing a combat encounter listed for each scene structure entry, but no social or exploration encounters. However, I do see Interludes and Dramatic Tasks listed and in your example the Dramatic Task of removing traps seems to equate to a short exploration encounter. So am I correct in assuming that the idea for scene structures, is that the Social Interlude is intended as a brief RP'ing opportunity/scene and the Dramatic tasks would centered around some exploration encounter?

From whom and where are you getting the quality art work? I know you've used some open source stuff for your other PDFs, so is this the same or are you paying for it? It looks good!

Comment

Originally posted by kronovan View Post
              Very nice work - really like that you've made the effort to include an adventure generator! For me, adventure generators are important because they show what the setting creator sees as constituting an adventure. In regards to the generator, I'm noticing a combat encounter listed for each scene structure entry, but no social or exploration encounters. However, I do see Interludes and Dramatic Tasks listed and in your example the Dramatic Task of removing traps seems to equate to a short exploration encounter. So am I correct in assuming that the idea for scene structures, is that the Social Interlude is intended as a brief RP'ing opportunity/scene and the Dramatic tasks would centered around some exploration encounter?
              The idea is that each scene is built around a particular game mechanic, which could be as simple as a trait roll, or as complex as a full combat encounter. If you look at the Plot Point Episodes and One Sheets, you'll see they follow the same approach. The mechanics are really just the skeleton of the adventure, the Game Master needs to add the meat.

Roleplaying isn't really a game mechanic, and it can be done any time, although there are "Interlude" scenes (as well as the "Shenanigans" setting rule) which can encourage roleplaying. The same sort of thing with exploration, it doesn't need a game mechanic, but it could include a trait roll (e.g., Tracking or Notice) or provide the justification for a Dramatic Task.

Combat is obviously a major part of the setting, so the adventure generator assumes you'll have one combat encounter in each adventure, although the GM can always replace it with something else if they wish.

Originally posted by kronovan View Post
              From whom and where are you getting the quality art work? I know you've used some open source stuff for your other PDFs, so is this the same or are you paying for it? It looks good!

The cover (including the pages and trademark goblin head) were a private commission with Lord Zsezse Works. They also created the little goblin head for me to dot the 'i' in the title, and I decide to use it for the Wild Card symbol as well.

The territory map was a private commission with Eli Kurtz of The Mythic Gazetteer, although it was a (literal) work-for-work contract: I did layout for two of the Blackwood One Sheets, and created several of the Edges and Hindrances for their setting book.

The Dungeon Squat map and ambush card illustrations were created by Frank Turfler as part of a cooperative effort (I direct people to his full-size battle map, which he sells on DTRPG).

I created the War Clock myself, although the outline was based on a piece of free clip art. I'd run out of budget by that point, but I don't think it looks too bad.

The rest of the artwork was stock art, which I purchased through DTRPG, and modified myself where necessary. Because it took a couple of years to produce the setting, I was able to put artwork on my wish list in advance, and wait until it went on sale, but it was still quite expensive to buy so many illustrations.

Comment

I recently playtested the surname and adventure generators with a friend of mine. Our character names (Randy Harshgroin and Gaffy Chunkylegs) provided some good inspiration for our character concepts, and the random adventure generator came up with the following:

Hook: Followed up on a tip, or learned of a rumor.
                Objective: Hunt and kill a particular foe.
                Antagonist: Human scouts or soldiers on a mission of their own.
                Structure: Trait Roll, Quick Combat, Hazard, Combat Encounter, Dramatic Task.

The adventure involved our characters overhearing a rumor about a group of humans who had been sighted on the Longtooth Mountains. We decided to investigate, and the first scene required climbing rolls as we made our way up a sheer mountain face (Trait Roll). When we reached the top we decided to make camp, and we were ambushed while we rested by a hungry wyvern, which we promptly hacked to pieces (Quick Combat). We then made our way across the bitterly cold mountains, losing a couple of gang members to a blizzard (Hazard), before finally locating the humans.

The humans consisted of a scouting party and a weather mage, who appeared to be summoning a blizzard to unleash upon the tribes! We nearly caught them by surprise, but the scouts managed to spot us before we could finishing closing with them. The fight (Combat Encounter) was fast and brutal, and as we struck down the mage he unleashed an avalanche on top of us! We ran for our lives (Dramatic Task) and barely made it to the cover of a cave before the avalanche overtook us. Afterwards we dug our way free from the cave, feasted on the dead humans, and headed home with a doggy bag.

The scenes did require a some interpretation, but the adventure (which I've decided to retroactively name "Cold Spell") was very quick and easy to generate, and played out very much like the One Sheets.

Comment

Eric Lamoureux and I were recently invited onto the Tabletop Twats RPG Podcast for a discussion with Harrison Hunt and Nikk Lambley about adventure design. I talked about how I find inspiration and plan out my adventures, particularly those in Saga of the Goblin Horde.

You can check it out here: How Professional RPG writers get ideas

Comment

I've now uploaded the setting book to DriveThruRPG and updated the link in the first post. I will upload the other PDFs when I have the chance, as I plan to give each PDF another proofread first.

Comment

DriveThruRPG promoted SotGH as the "Free Product of the Week" in their latest newsletter, and the number of downloads rocketed from 200 to well over 600!

Click image for larger version

Name:	FreeProductOfTheWeek.png
Views:	39
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	4202

Comment

• Deskepticon
                        Deskepticon commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Awesome!
                        Congratulations, and good luck!

My print-on-demand copy of Saga of the Goblin Horde finally arrived in the post! There were a few minor issues, which I'd like to resolve before making the print-ready PDFs available for others to use, but overall I'm really pleased with it. There are some more pictures here.

Name:	8.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	107.1 KB
ID:	4455

Comment

Grim Perspectives just did a video review of Saga of the Goblin Horde.

Comment

Here's a new One Sheet for the winter season! So what are you waiting for? Gather together your gang of goblins, and hunt down those vile humans before they turn your tribe into popsicles. And don't worry about the avalanche, you can always grab one of the humans' shields and ride it like a snowboard - how difficult can it be?

Cold Spell

Name:	226855.png
Views:	37
Size:	443.3 KB
ID:	4640

Comment

This time DriveThruRPG have promoted the SotGH archetypes as "Free Product of the Week" in their newsletter, and once again the downloads are rocketing!

Name:	FreeProductOfTheWeek2.png
Views:	37
Size:	181.2 KB
ID:	4680

Comment

My Saga of the Goblin Horde hardcover arrived today Here is a look at the results of Lulu's print-on-demand service.

Comment

Working...
                              X