Savage Tools (2.0) Development Log

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Savage Tools (2.0) Development Log

As some of you know I've been rewriting my Savage Worlds Tools for a few months now. Lately I've been a bit Idle waiting for more "Black" details to emerge before I start the rewrite of the character generator. Since then I've created a nodejs server, javascript client (with offline access to create your own vehicle and characters from browser cache!), the beginnings discord bot (oh snap - check out the screenshots), and a slew of other new tools to be written while waiting for the new Core Book.

Some of the exiting major advancements from my existing tools:
    • Attach an image to your creation! This even works in offline mode, and is then uploaded the the sync/share server to spread across your devices.
    • Log into the sync server (at a memorable and awesome domain, I'll release that later) to make sure your creations are on all your items
    • Optionally create a share link for your creations for others to view (and eventually copy into their own libraries).
    • Experimental Discord Bot integration. My eventual goal will be to be able to group characters into a 'session' and have the ability the ask the bot for rolls against certain traits, etc. This is a long path down the development tree.

What I'm currently working on:
    • Sync stability. I'm seeing a few hiccups on sharing between my 7-8 devices/browsers
    • Rewrite of the Dice Roller and Library
    • Data entry interface for mods, sizes, books, weapons, races, skills, hindrances, edges - all the good stuff now that the back-end mongodb server data seems to have stabilized.
    What's still on the agenda:
    • Extras database (and discord integration)
    • Dice Roller (discord integration)
    • Character Generator
    What won't be in the new tools:
    • I'm likely dropping the raise trainer. It was a fun add-on, but I'm not seeing anyone use it.

I know I've hinted, teased, and promised items on my Poll Post here: https://www.pegforum.com/forum/savag...tionality-poll

But I've decided and settled on writing the entire server and client in Typescript using nodejs, nginx, and mongodb. The frontend is in react, while the 1.0 tools were written in angularjs.

Some FAQs

How much will it cost?
    Always Free
    , as the current tools are. It's an open source open source project on GitHub as well.

Why did I choose this over python3?
    • I get to use the same object creation, calculation, and validation code on both the client and the server. This makes for a consistent bug-tracking experience.
    • Typescript is a typed language. If/when web assembly takes off and has better support. It's strongly foreseen by experts in the field that Typescript will have a compiler to web assembly. This will increase speed and efficiency (it's already pretty fast and my Chrome/Firefox memory snapshot sizes on the client has been under 30mb, pretty good considering everything it's doing)
    When will you get to use the new tools?
    Honestly? Probably pretty soon. I'm going to spend a week or two revisiting the Sync code and double-check that my auth and security code on the server is water-tight.

Will the app look like the screenshots?
    Pretty close! I'm old and I am set in my UI styles. I find these medium-dark colors easy on my eyes. In the future I may have a 'theme selection' which will change out the colors and borders perhaps, but this works well.

Will I be able to export characters to PDF?
    Oh heck yes. My goal is to have several SVG templates to select from which export to PDF beautifully. (most PDFs export to be less than 100k in size, as I'm using SVG instead of images to create the text and lines).

What books will be supported?
    Everything allowable via the Savage Fan License will be available for everyone.

I'm a Savage Licensee - how can I get my content into this software?
    I'm still working on the details of that, but I imagine if you're wanting to 'give' away the edges, hindrances, and gear with either descriptions and page numbers, the editor I'll be working on should make it 'relatively easy' to add your custom items to the Chargen.

*IF* you want to give access to certain users (like verified purchasers), I'll have to create an interface which has your 'book' on an 'allow list' of users. That's also pretty far down the road - after the new character generator has been completed.

Why the heck is the Discord bot's name "The Teapot"?:
    Because I'm the Beast. (It was a stupid, random name I created for my development bot a few months ago)

What the heck is Discord?
    Glad you asked! It's a neat bit of software which allows for not only real time text chat, but video and voice chat as well. http://discordapp.com
    The unofficial Savage Worlds chat is here: https://discord.gg/Vd9Hwnw
    There are many of us there. I'm pretty quiet - look for Gordon

Will I need to login to use the tools?
    Absolutely not! Logins are only required for syncing and sharing your creations. The tools are free and open to anyone wishing to remain anonymous (well, at least as anonymous as anyone can be).

I've got an idea - how do I submit it?
    For now, hold on to your ideas as I've still got months of work to do on this project. (see above)

I've got another question.
    Please post them in the comments below. I'm happy to answer. I'm on the edge of deciding to reveal the domain name and newly branded name.
    Last edited by Gordon; 04-27-2018, 04:57 PM.
    My Savage Worlds Tools: https://jdgwf.github.io/savage-worlds-web-tools/
    Proud Member of the Lone Star Savages
    NaNoWriMo 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 Winner

Looking good! Latest code commit in August of last year though? Hopefully you are checking that code in somewhere!

Comment

• Gordon
      Gordon commented
      Editing a comment
      Not the same project The new one is a client/server jumbled (and sometimes head-banging against desk) mess.

The Bot now has access to the Extras database.

Comment

I've always been a fan of digital tools for Savage Worlds, and this is a tool that's great to give to new players and experienced alike. Even so, I've never been able to export characters as a PDF in Chrome, but I'm sure that's just a minor issue. If I made any suggestion, it would be the ability to add custom Edges (and Hindrances) like you can add custom Gear.

Great work!

Comment

I'm so sorry for not posting updates here. The Official Savage Worlds Facebook page has been getting FAR too much love from me (out of convenience, unfortunately, despite my disdain for that platform).

Progress is progressing at a breakneck rate. The ScifiCreators have been done for a while, and sharing seems to be working well. The last four weeks I've been concentrating on the new Character Generator, and woah, nelly it's glorious (if I do say so myself)!.

There are only two tabs that really still need work: Edges and Hindrances, and the Advances tabs. These two will be the trickiest (they were in my original set of tools), but I've got a plan. The Exports tab also needs work, as there will be options to save as SVG, Export BB code, Save as PDF, Print, and other options I'm still thinking of. Right now copying and pasting what I have as a test-bed works pretty good too!

Included are some screenshots of the working tabs of the Chargen. I'll release the new address once I've got All the base Savage Worlds Deluxe options available. Adding on Companions won't take long with my admin interface (I've got it so easy now that even a Caveman can do it™ )

The remaining screenshots will be on the next post (Forum limits 5).

Comment

The remaining screenshots:

Comment

I love Blake's 7

Comment

I noticed some glitches in your Web Tools. You have strength enhancement on Walkers; Boosters on Vehicles seem to do nothing and I can't find a way to make Robots.
              Aside from that I love your work. It speeds up everything so fast.
              I could be wrong about the glitches, I do have a tendency to ignore the obvious.

I'd love to see a way of making races, I hope you can put that in.

Comment

Originally posted by zero mostel View Post
                I noticed some glitches in your Web Tools. You have strength enhancement on Walkers; Boosters on Vehicles seem to do nothing and I can't find a way to make Robots.
                Aside from that I love your work. It speeds up everything so fast.
                I could be wrong about the glitches, I do have a tendency to ignore the obvious.

I'd love to see a way of making races, I hope you can put that in.
                • Strength Enhancement is a mod for Walkers (SFC p51) - and should be/is included in the mods
                • Boosters don't do anything because they're 'for a round" only and don't affect the vehicle's permanent stats (other than mods and cost).
                • Robots are "still planned" which will create a 'race.' This is a special instance because these robots can be used as a race and can get kind of messy.
                • Race creation is available to "Creators" for now in the new version. I'll likely be able to move this to the 'user space' like I did with Edges, Hindrances, Weapons, Armor, and Gear. I can't guarantee that it'll be available at launch.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot from 2018-06-21 09-58-08.png Views:	1 Size:	66.0 KB ID:	10431

Thanks! I've worked hard on both versions (especially on the new version!).
                Last edited by Gordon; 06-21-2018, 04:20 PM.

Comment

OOO lots of good stuff!

Comment

Are you going to allow PULP Vehicles to be built on this website?

Comment

Originally posted by zero mostel View Post
                      Are you going to allow PULP Vehicles to be built on this website?
                      If there are rules for it, I don’t see why not. It’ll be low priority since I’ve not heard of it. Where are these creation rules?

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon View Post

If there are rules for it, I don’t see why not. It’ll be low priority since I’ve not heard of it. Where are these creation rules?
                        Pulp Gear Toolkit

http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/...h=117_173&it=1

Comment

Still trudging along. As I'm working on the Character Modification system, I'm doing what I can to document what can be dome with a character with Race/Edge/Hindrances.

Documentation is never fun, and much more tedious than coding

Things still to do before release:
                          • Advancements
                          • Powers
                          • Super Powers
                          • Need ability for a modification to ask for a Skill or Attribute on the front-end.
                          And all this data will have to be re-enterd when #swade is released (plus whatever modifications to the base character needs to be done, like dropping the Charisma Derived Attribute - skills are already based on what Primary book is selected - I thought of that when I started this mess )

Comment

For example, if I add a custom hindrance (YES! You can do this!)

EDIT - Crud - these didn't upload in order.

The last one (editing the custom hindrance) should be #3.
                            Last edited by Gordon; 10-04-2018, 10:14 PM.

Comment

• Vasant
                              Vasant commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Custom Hindrances? Veeery nice!
                          Working...
                          X